We need to talk to someone who knows what they're talking about, because we don't

Faught

Apr 30, 2002
So yeah, some of my friends and I have this quite possibly unrealistic fantasy to move to the Caribbean. After our quick research, the Dominican Republic looked like it might be one of the easiest places to go. So I'm coming here because we have no real idea what we're doing...

We're thinking we can go in together and rent a good sized, but nothing fancy, house. We're also thinking that our main problem will be making a living once there. There are eight of us, all aged 18-20, all with high school diplomas from the states and some of us part way through college. Would it be possible for 8 English (minimal spanish) speaking young adult Americans to find work to support themselves in the Dominican Republic? Any ideas?

Any suggestions, advice, or whatever else is appreciated. Help us escape.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Nice dream, but not now

Do get some more education. Obtain something that is marketable. Try and get jobs with US based companies that have operations here and where you talents can be used.

Learn Spanish.

You picked the right place but you have to be equipped to be able to live here at anything above a survival level.

HB
needs_a_shave.gif

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Your problem is that what you might be qualified to do there are many Dominicans wanting the jobs and will work for less than you are likely to expect.

As HB advised, you will improve your chances considerably just by being able to communicate in Spanish. Having a technical skill makes it even more likely you would be able to find work.

Mickey

Mar 3, 2002
Just a thought.....

More of a question I suppose. What sort of employment opportunities are there in the investment/banking sector? I know banks such as Scotiabank, Citibank and Pricewatershouse Cooper are there. Do they employ mostly locals, or a lot of foreigners too? Also, how much of difference would a B.Com in International Marketing make?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
B.Com in International Marketing ....

would make a big difference. I know Dominicans who went to university in Canada to obtain one.
They make good money now!!

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
PricewaterhouseCoopers

I actually work for PwC and they are always hiring people. About 1/3 of our workforce here is foreign labor..

Try out overseasjobs.com and I know we just posted a few things on Monster. If you have questions feel free to email me.

Faught

Apr 30, 2002
We know

We know getting more education is advised, but we don't particularly want to do that. That's kind of the whole idea.

We're not looking for the best jobs in the country here, we just want to know if we would be able to find jobs (hotels seem big?) where we could make a living.

Also, we've talked to some people who suggested opening a business. Any ideas there? And please don't tell us we're stupid... we are well aware. Thanks.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Re: We know

[B]Faught[/B] said:
please don't tell us we're stupid... we are well aware.
D'oh! You just took away all the fun...
naughty.gif

Have you been to the Dominican Rep.? Are you willing to relocate to a country that you've never been to? I suggest you come for a visit of a few days, go around, see, check, taste. If you like it then plan for an extended visit, say a couple of months.

Just my humble, unrequested opinion.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Jeez, PIB, I just posted the same thing

on another string/thread!!

I just love it when we think .....

HBnon-curmudgeon mode

needs_a_shave.gif

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
If you are bilingual

you might be able to get jobs but without experience and education, you probably won't be able to LIVE on what you make. If you have a trust fund, go for it. If you have to work for a living, you might want to stay in the states and learn to do something useful.