PRE-PAID CREDIT/DEBIT CARDS

mekkizm

Jun 1, 2004
Hey guys, Im traveling to DR very soon and wanted to check if any banks or institutions or otherwise have those per-paid credit cards to use in the DR.

Are these available in DR? I'd rather not us my USA card and use one specifically for DR...

Restaurants, shopping, etc ect....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Applying for a DR debit card, even a prepaid one without having a bank account here will be problematic and take more time than it's worth.

I would suggest you get a prepaid debit card in US dollars from your bank at home. When using that you will likely get hit with exchange fees for purchases in Dominican Pesos, but it solves your need to use a temporary card. Make sure you inform the issuing bank that it will be used in the DR and ask for a reasonable daily withdrawn limit at atm machines in the DR so you can easily get pesos rather than making all purchases on the card directly.

mekkizm

Jun 1, 2004
Applying for a DR debit card, even a prepaid one without having a bank account here will be problematic and take more time than it's worth.

I would suggest you get a prepaid debit card in US dollars from your bank at home. When using that you will likely get hit with exchange fees for purchases in Dominican Pesos, but it solves your need to use a temporary card. Make sure you inform the issuing bank that it will be used in the DR and ask for a reasonable daily withdrawn limit at atm machines in the DR so you can easily get pesos rather than making all purchases on the card directly.

Thank you, I will most likely do that... Maybe one of those "GreenDot" cards offered in CVS here in NYC.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris

I think maybe better bring it from USA because if you need to recharge needs to go to a local branch and having one from USA you can transfer the money from your saving account.

Here the only branch with prepaid credit card is Banco BHD Leon, and they have a 300.00 pesos fee every time you recharge your credit card. almost 7.00 US$ and I dont think you could have any problem getting one if you show your passport.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Thank you, I will most likely do that... Maybe one of those "GreenDot" cards offered in CVS here in NYC.

Aah, no. Get a Visa or MasterCard debit card. An internationally recognized name. No one in the DR will know what a CVS is or a green dot. The large recognized credit providers are better accepted at both places of purchase and in atm machines. Remember you are coming to a third world country. Very little is like it is at home once you step outside your resort.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Only card allows you can use prepaid in DR is BlueBird by American Express but no ATM access though.

kg4jxt

Mar 28, 2014
DR businesses will often ask if you are paying cash or credit. If you pay credit, they will often add 3% to cover the credit card fee. There is a tradeoff between carrying around extra cash and repeatedly paying that 3% fee.