For book lovers, Xmas came early this year

Feb 7, 2007
This is the hugest collection of Ebooks I found (600,000+), especially through bots like "Oatmeal" (@Oatmeal)

from REDDIT

IRC

You obviously need an IRC client installed, a quick google search should find you a bunch of decent free ones.

Load the client and then type:

/server irc.irchighway.net

This will connect you to the irchighway server. Once you're on there, type:

/join #ebooks

This will take you into the ebooks channel, which has more than 2.2Terabytes of ebooks for free download. Once you're in, all you have to do to find what you want is to simply type:

@search "Author or book title"

... removing the inverted commas.

You'll get a message saying that your search has been accepted. A few seconds later a searchbot will offer you a file, so accept the download. That will send you a .txt file that's zipped. Extract that and you'll get a list of files. I searched for Lian Hearn and got a list of 147 files. Here's an extract from it:

!bald Lian Hearn - [Tales Of The Otori 02] - Grass For His Pillow .rar - 142.1 KB !bald Lian Hearn - Tales of the Otori 2 - Grass for His Pillow (CO.rar - 355.3 KB !bald Lian Hearn - Tales of the Otori 2 - Grass for His Pillow (ht.rar - 140.54 KB !bald LianHearn-[Otori_01]-Across_The_Nightingale_Floor(v3).rar - 111.62 KB !bald Lian_Hearn-[Otori_01]-Across_the_Nightingale_Floor(v4.0.rar - 115.45 KB !bald Lian Hearn - [Tales Of The Otori 03] - Brilliance Of The Moo.rar - 175.53 KB !bald Lian Hearn - [Tales Of The Otori 04] - The Harsh Cry of the Heron (v1.0) (html).rar - 351.80 KB !bald Lian Hearn - [Tales Of the Otori 05] - Heaven's Net Is Wide (v5.0) (epub).rar - 588.40 KB

Say I wanted to download the first book. I'd copy the text shown below, deliberately removing the file size information (I've been booted for that before ):

!bald Lian Hearn - [Tales Of The Otori 02] - Grass For His Pillow .rar

Then just paste that into the IRC window then press enter. After 2-3 seconds you get a prompt asking you to accept or decline the file.You know how to do the rest.

some tools to go with this: ftp://book:stuffing@173.80.26.71/

to get a list of all ebooks offered by a bot (@) just type a bot name e.g. @Oatmeal, etc.

Last edited: