Spiders taking over house

drisforme

May 28, 2016
We are seeing many spiders inside the house.
Can you please let me know if they are dangerous and also how to get rid of them ?

Size is a couple of inches...

See picture here:

kHruWT

Thank you.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Couldn't see your picture but we are seeing many newly hatched tarantulas, about the size of a quarter.  We try to relocate them in the garden.  We have seen a few full size ones but if you leave them alone they will just go abut there business of eating other nasties in your place.  
There are black and brown widow spiders here, they are sneaky and hide  and you can accidentally encounter one. They have a venomous nasty bite. The tarantula just walks around like he/she owns the place.  
We would have more tarantulas but we cannot convince our staff they are relatively harmless and they kill them on sight.

drisforme

May 28, 2016
Couldn't see your picture but we are seeing many newly hatched tarantulas, about the size of a quarter.  We try to relocate them in the garden.  We have seen a few full size ones but if you leave them alone they will just go abut there business of eating other nasties in your place.  
There are black and brown widow spiders here, they are sneaky and hide  and you can accidentally encounter one. They have a venomous nasty bite. The tarantula just walks around like he/she owns the place.  
We would have more tarantulas but we cannot convince our staff they are relatively harmless and they kill them on sight.

Does not seem to be the same:They are big brown spiders
New attempt of sharing a picture:

VQ9a9K1.jpg

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Brown spiders - My guess

I have had them .. big and spooky but harmless generally.

I still squash them
after having one crawl on me in bed

They can get LARGE !!!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Disclaimer, I dislike spiders, they are too quiet and creepy and make my skin crawl.

Mom spider produces a lot of babies each time. If her eggs hatch inside, you will have lots of spiders, usually too small to notice initially but they grow quickly. Insecticide is your friend. Spray on top of cupboards, in cupboards, closets behind bookcases behind and under appliances etc.

Technically all spiders bite and all spiders are considered venomous. However, the venom produced by many spiders is not toxic to humans and the mouth parts of many spiders are not big enough or effective in piercing human skin. Except for spiders that are a big risk, the effects of a spider bite are similar to the equivalent of a 1 lb mosquito. Redness, itchiness, possibly some localized pain that Tylenol easily manages.

For most spider bites the most significant risk is infection. Like all creatures that don't brush their teeth, spider mouths are filthy and a staph infection is very common. When you receive a bite from a spider or anything else you may not have seen do its thing, it's a good idea to wash the area with clean water and lots of soap. Some iodine applied locally if you have it.

Draw a circle around the circumference of the area of red skin with the bite in the centre. Every hour to 90 minutes check to see if the redness has spread beyond your drawn circle. If it has, draw a bigger circle. If you have three instances (3 - 5 hours) of the redness spreading, its a good idea to see a doctor to get a recommendation for an effective antibiotic.

If you are bitten by a spider or other creepy crawly that is toxic to humans, you are going to know a whole lot faster than above. Bigger spiders are not necessarily more poisonous than smaller spiders and not all toxic spider bites inject toxin. Spiders like snakes are capable of dry-biting without releasing poison. The smaller the person usually the more pronounced and the quicker the symptoms present themselves. Suffice it to say you'll have no doubt within a maximum of 90 minutes that you need medical help.

If possible catch the spider to show the doctor - it doesn't need to be alive, just not smashed into a collection of unrecognizable parts and goo.

In this country, you are within 3 or 4 feet of some type of spider most of the time. Most will leave you alone unless you roll on them in bed, sit on or near them, touch them when picking up outdoor furniture and most of common, if you slip your foot into a not often worn shoe that has become a spider's home.

I will relocate tarantulas if they allow themselves to be captured easily, I tend to kill everything else. I don't need or want more spiders than I already have and routinely fog the patios, the outdoor furniture and the roof overhangs.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
If you go to a local agriculture store they usually car all types of concentrate pesticides. The two I have tried are Blade 25 and I believe the other one was Destroyer 48.
If you don't have a big sprayer just mix a small amount in a hand spray bottle and spray liberally. It kills all bugs on contact. The second one also left a residue that they claim works for up to 21 days.
I hate all bugs an have no problem killing them. I am not big into relocation and rehabilitating them.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I used to get them in my apartment while living in Los Charamicos because
of all the trees. If you decide you want to kill them, I recommend a small cup
of boiling hot water, especially if you have any pets or small children. This will
kill just about anything that crawls into your home within seconds. Much safer
and cleaner than pesticides.