Childhood Immunizations in the Dominican Republic

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
The most recent thread I found with any info. on this was 2009, and it didn't give all info. What is the childhood immunization schedule (birth- 2 years)for Dominican babies?

For example, here is a link for what is typically provided throughout Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/provincial-territorial-immunization-information.html

All provinces are different, but more or less, babies here get RotaVirus at 2 and 4 months, DTap (Diphtheria,Tetanus, Pertussis), IPV(Polio), HiB (Haemophilus Influenzae) at 2,4,6, and 18 months, as well as MMRV (Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Varicella), a Meningococcal conjugate (Strain C) vaccine, and a Pneumococcal conjugate at 12 months. A few provinces also give the Hepatitis B vaccine within the first year.

Thanks in advance, I've been curious about this for awhile.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Here you go. Go here: http://www.sespas.gov.do/pai/Esquema.pdf

This is the Ministry of Public Health program of immunizations as approved by WHO and PAHO and UNICEF.

There are centers located around the country for these shots.

Consult your local pediatrician always.

HB, married to an MD

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
centros santitarios run by ministerio de salud publica offer scheduled vaccines at no cost. a visit there can be quite a shock for those used to private hospitals. my SIL's kids had their shots there because some vaccines can be quite pricey, apparently.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
HB your link was exactly what I was looking for. The schedule is almost exactly the same as Canada, with the exception of Tuberculosis at birth which doesn't really surprise me.

Thank you very much.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Thank you dv8, my TwinRix vaccine would have cost me over $100 had I not been eligible to receive it for free due to my work location. Typhoid was $75. I imagine that childhood vaccinations would be quite expensive without any coverage by insurance or government.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
some vaccines are also free for adults. any centro de atencion primaria will administer free tetanus shot for example (i personally used this service after ripping my hand on a rusty barbed wire). centro sanitario will also give rabies vaccines to those bitten by animals that carry the disease. i do not know about other shots but during the recent diphtheria panic the corresponding vaccine was given free as well.

on a related note: TB is registering a bit of a comeback and new strains are very resistant. some will require prolonged treatment - up to 2 years - similar to chemo in terms of side effects.

Last edited:

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
There is a similar situation in parts of Canada with TB as well.  I hadn’t heard about the treatment, sounds like a vaccination would be worthwhile.  
With rabies, I was told by perhaps an overzealous nurse that yes, I did indeed require that vaccination to volunteer in the DR.  I believe it was a series of 3 shots over a period of 6 months (?), and would have cost $600-$800.  I opted out.  

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
centros santitarios run by ministerio de salud publica offer scheduled vaccines at no cost. a visit there can be quite a shock for those used to private hospitals. my SIL's kids had their shots there because some vaccines can be quite pricey, apparently.

But you are lucky if you get even half of those free shots, most of the time it will be 'no hay vacuna', especially outside of large cities.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
So here is another question:  Is that schedule closely followed?  I would guess that it is.  In other places (including Canada) I’ve heard of campaigns and drives to help encourage parents to vaccinate. I will search and see if I can find any statistics.  

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
But you are lucky if you get even half of those free shots, most of the time it will be 'no hay vacuna', especially outside of large cities.

They come to the schools and vacinate the children there once they are school aged. We just had all the nine year girls in our school vacinated with the Palova vacine. When children initialy register at the school vacination records are required.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
They come to the schools and vacinate the children there once they are school aged. We just had all the nine year girls in our school vacinated with the Palova vacine. When children initialy register at the school vacination records are required.

i think you mean HPV vaccine? against human papilloma virus.