Advice on rental car from POP to Punta Cana

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
My wife and I have lived here for 11 years. We have some friends coming to visit and want to go to Ambar Green Resort in Punta Cana. My wife wants to rent an SUV (4 very big people) as she thinks our old car won't make it. Any advice or suggestions on a rental company for 2 one way rentals, don't need the car while we are there. Need to figure out closest rental company to the the resort. thanks

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I think it would be cheaper to keep the car if you are staying a week to 10 days. Check it on one of the major car rental sites but I think you will find the drop off fee at both ends is ridiculously high

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Drop off fee with Avis last year was $150.00. Did the opposite rented in Punta Cana and dropped off in Santo Domingo. Maybe it would be cheaper to hire a car to drive you there and then another to take you back. Just a idea...

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Drop off fee with Avis last year was $150.00. Did the opposite rented in Punta Cana and dropped off in Santo Domingo. Maybe it would be cheaper to hire a car to drive you there and then another to take you back. Just a idea...

Yes, one way drop offs are expensive. But a one way taxi ride, North Coast to Punta Cana, will be more than $300 usd. I did it recently because I was in a hurry to get a flight out of PC. The taxi ride was more than my plane ticket.

Another option would be to rent a "not so new" but reliable car on the North Coast and keep it for the week in PC, then drive it back. Even if you don't drive around while there. That might be the most economical way if you really want to drive yourself.

SF61

Apr 3, 2017
I concur. Rent a "not so new but reliable" vehicle for the duration of your travels even if you don't plan to drive it.

I have been renting cars for the last 3 years out of POP airport (Avis/Budget). Two weeks/unlimited mileage runs around $600 US before insurances for an SUV. The vehicles usually sit parked for the majority of my visit but it's nice to have one available. Check with the resort and make sure they have parking. It will be cheaper.

Insurance is the killer. If you can avoid it by using c/c coverage plans do so. Last year I booked using easycars, paid $300 for a 4-door car, 2wks/unlimited. The easycars web site offered free liability insurance with the booking. They put an $800 freeze on my c/c in lieu of waiving additional insurance at the airport, that was cancelled when I returned the car. I was skeptical at first when I booked because you pay easycars not Budget but it worked like a charm. I presented the pre-paid booking reciept and I had no problems at all. Whole thing cost me less than $400. I recommend checking it out.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
when you rent use your gold or platinum card for coverage in case you have an accident.

Jan 7, 2016
when you rent use your gold or platinum card for coverage in case you have an accident.

Check to be sure your Gold or Platinum card offers coverage in the D.R. Some don't, some do. Works the same way in Europe...check before you leave the rental counter, or check with your card company before you leave your home country.

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
Best advice... Go to rentalcars.com
they will offer third party liability on some rentals.. Use Chase sapphire premium card
use a credit card that has has international comp and collision
the local rental car company will deny your use of the C&C and rentalcar liabily.. EXPECT THIS
write on your contract (in english) that you declined insurance but were forced to buy it
then dispute the charges with CHASE and you get the insurance refunded

My wife and I have lived here for 11 years. We have some friends coming to visit and want to go to Ambar Green Resort in Punta Cana. My wife wants to rent an SUV (4 very big people) as she thinks our old car won't make it. Any advice or suggestions on a rental company for 2 one way rentals, don't need the car while we are there. Need to figure out closest rental company to the the resort. thanks

Your coming back yo the north coast after the visit to Punta Cana, Be cheaper to bring rental back at least 150-200 cheaper, Might be worth keeping it a few more days in punta cana. That said I advise only using well known national chains and not the small no name rental companies, they frequently try to nickel and dime you and about 10 years ago had a rental company take the car from sosua beach and I had to report it stolen, They tried to get 5k out of my credit card.