I want to move my aging parent with me here to the island. Help!

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
I've been living in Santo Domingo for 2 years now. I love it but my 68 year old mom lives in a small Ohio town alone. I want to move her here with me but I know she would absolutely hate the Capitol. Could someone recommend a beach town that has good night life and a lot of open air bars(the other place I've been to is Punta Cana). I know she will do great in a smaller town but I will need some sort of nightlife. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Last edited:

JDFriend

the Translator
May 15, 2007
I've been living in Santo Domingo for 2 years now. I love it but my 68 year old mom lives in a small Ohio town alone. I want to move her here with me but I know she would absolutely hate the Capitol. Could someone recommend a beach town that has good night life and a lot of open air bars(the other place I've been is to Punta Cana). I know she will do great in a smaller town but I will need some sort of nightlife. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Did you ask her what she wants?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i would really focus on places nearby so that you can see each other often. juan dolio is the closest beach town and not a bad choice either. lots of capitalenos travel there for weekends, it has a wide choice of accommodation and is pretty safe. the only closer place is boca chica, puta capital of the south. further still, la romana, a bit bigger and more dominican than touristy.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
i would really focus on places nearby so that you can see each other often. juan dolio is the closest beach town and not a bad choice either. lots of capitalenos travel there for weekends, it has a wide choice of accommodation and is pretty safe. the only closer place is boca chica, puta capital of the south. further still, la romana, a bit bigger and more dominican than touristy.

Thanks for the information and i should have made it more clear. Im going to move her in with my girlfriend and I. My girlfriend doesn't mind leaving the capitol and im sacrificing for the woman who has always sacrificed for me. Thats why i need a beach town with some nightlife. I need something to do at night. But noooo i dont want her living alone anymore.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Puerto Plata, La Romana and Punta Cana. All these have good medical care, good shopping and housing.

Thanks Dolores, I'll probably take a day trip to check out La Romana. Its very close. I dont think im interested in Puerto Plata since it seems to be a working girl paradise as told to me from my Dominican friends. They could be wrong though. I already know about Sosua and i dont want to even breathe in that place. I know that offends some people here so my apologies in advance. Its just my opinion.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Cabarete has good nightlife on the beach with lots of restaurants and bars. There is a good supermarket and clinic in town with private hospitals nearby at Sosua (you don't need to go near the working girl part of town) and Puerto Plata.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Thanks for the information and i should have made it more clear. Im going to move her in with my girlfriend and I. Thats why i need a beach town with some nightlife..

I'm glad you cleared that up. i read it too fast the first time thinking you wanted night life and bars for your mom.

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I wouldn't call Puerto Plata a working girl town. You'll definitely find that around any beach town with tourists. However, Puerto Plata is a good choice if you enjoy mixing with the local population.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Costambar might be worth a look. Gated community, well policed, reasonably priced apartments and real estate, close to Puerta Plata, La Sirena, Jumbo, Jose Luis, private hospitals including the private US run hospital in Santiago. A short drive to Gregorio Luperon airport with daily connections to the US. You have the choice of nightlife and restaurants in Puerta Plata including the Malecon which is packed on weekends, also close to Playa Dorada, Sosua and Cabarete with their bars and restaurants.  Costambar has a large expat community with lots of Americans. Your mother may find some new friends and enjoy the social scene. The beach is a bit busy on the weekends and major holidays but during the week it’s very laid back. Your mother would be safe there if she wanted to explore on her own. 

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Costambar might be worth a look. Gated community, well policed, reasonably priced apartments and real estate, close to Puerta Plata, La Sirena, Jumbo, Jose Luis, private hospitals including the private US run hospital in Santiago. A short drive to Gregorio Luperon airport with daily connections to the US. You have the choice of nightlife and restaurants in Puerta Plata including the Malecon which is packed on weekends, also close to Playa Dorada, Sosua and Cabarete with their bars and restaurants.  Costambar has a large expat community with lots of Americans. Your mother may find some new friends and enjoy the social scene. The beach is a bit busy on the weekends and major holidays but during the week it’s very laid back. Your mother would be safe there if she wanted to explore on her own. 

Excellent! Ive been watching videos and Cabarete looks awesome out of what was recommended so far. But yes it would be nice if she met friends, hell even a lil old boyfriend jajajajaa. I have to fly to NYC for business but when I return I will rent a car(probably hire a driver) and explore the north coast. Im adding Costambar to the list. Again thanks.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Thanks for the information and i should have made it more clear. Im going to move her in with my girlfriend and I. My girlfriend doesn't mind leaving the capitol and im sacrificing for the woman who has always sacrificed for me. Thats why i need a beach town with some nightlife. I need something to do at night. But noooo i dont want her living alone anymore.

ah, sorry. now it's clear to me. in this case, i would go for the north coast after all. puerto plata would be a good choice here, especially costambar, as mentioned before. hoes are not much of an issue. we have hospitals, relatively decent shopping, few night clubs and plenty of "drinks" around town.

las terrenas and samana are both gorgeous locations too but i do not know about the amenities and nightlife.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
ah, sorry. now it's clear to me. in this case, i would go for the north coast after all. puerto plata would be a good choice here, especially costambar, as mentioned before. hoes are not much of an issue. we have hospitals, relatively decent shopping, few night clubs and plenty of "drinks" around town.

las terrenas and samana are both gorgeous locations too but i do not know about the amenities and nightlife.

Thanks, the cueros wouldnt bother me if they werent so aggressive. But even here in the Capitol im like leave me the fudge alone!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Thanks, the cueros wouldnt bother me if they werent so aggressive. But even here in the Capitol im like leave me the fudge alone!

i really do not know what to say. maybe i have a face of a french bulldog licking sour p*ss from dried up thistle but i have never been bothered by the ladies of the night. granted, i do not go out much and i am of female persuasion but i really think it's not much of a problem in PP. my expression is so welcoming even limpiavidrios do not approach me. i can train you if you want :cheeky:

i wish you the best of luck moving your mom. a friend of mine brought his mother here after the death of his father. she never did much, just chilled by the pool and watched tv but not a day passed that she did not say how happy she was to be with him.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I dont think im interested in Puerto Plata since it seems to be a working girl paradise as told to me from my Dominican friends. They could be wrong though. I already know about Sosua and i dont want to even breathe in that place. I know that offends some people here so my apologies in advance. Its just my opinion.

i really do not know what to say. maybe i have a face of a french bulldog licking sour p*ss from dried up thistle but i have never been bothered by the ladies of the night. granted, i do not go out much and i am of female persuasion but i really think it's not much of a problem in PP. my expression is so welcoming even limpiavidrios do not approach me. i can train you if you want :cheeky:

i wish you the best of luck moving your mom. a friend of mine brought his mother here after the death of his father. she never did much, just chilled by the pool and watched tv but not a day passed that she did not say how happy she was to be with him.

It's of course none of my business how the OP has formed this opinion of Puerto Plata, but I have to agree with dv8 above. I've lived in POP more or less non-stop since 2010 and would definitely not use the terms the OP first used of the city. Depends of course in which parts you spend your time, I've always stayed in areas where families with small children would be expected to spend time, and have never witnessed anything out of ordinary behavior nor have had the need to protect my kids from something in particular.

That being said, I agree with Costambar, we live in a nice middle-class residential area close to the city center, and I've spotted a few foreign senior citizens here as well, but perhaps not the most dedicated place for the OPs purposes after all.

I like Cabarete as a place to visit, but personally not sure if that's the best for a senior citizen, due to the limited amount of services very near. Expats living there might see this differently though.

dot

Jun 19, 2005
www.beyondthebeach.ca
Come on people... he said his mom is 68... that is NOT ancient... I'm a year older than that and don't consider myself a senior citizen - unless it gets me a discount.. :laugh: We rent an apartment in Costambar mid-January to mid-April and have done so for 7 years. There are many Canadian, American, and European people who either vacation long term or, live there. We find an excellent variety of restaurants, bars, shopping available in the immediate area and, just 10 or 15 minutes into Puerto Plata. We have made many friends that we look forward to seeing every year. Some of us have even met up in the off season in our own countries.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Burning bridges

Nothing has been mentioned of your mother's background / culture. Is she dominicana, hispanic? You say you know your mother will hate Santo Domingo and that may suggest she has knowledge of the location.

If she is not dominicana or latina and has not been to the country it may be wise for her to visit the locations you have in mind for setting up a home. Let her get her feet wet to see if she likes the water. Do this before the bridges behind her are burned down. Let her make the choice.

Regards,

PJT

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Come on people... he said his mom is 68... that is NOT ancient... I'm a year older than that and don't consider myself a senior citizen - unless it gets me a discount.. :laugh: We rent an apartment in Costambar mid-January to mid-April and have done so for 7 years. There are many Canadian, American, and European people who either vacation long term or, live there. We find an excellent variety of restaurants, bars, shopping available in the immediate area and, just 10 or 15 minutes into Puerto Plata. We have made many friends that we look forward to seeing every year. Some of us have even met up in the off season in our own countries.

Awesome post. Mom maybe 68 but she's active and looks 55. I'll definitely look into Costambar. Thanks

Nothing has been mentioned of your mother's background / culture. Is she dominicana, hispanic? You say you know your mother will hate Santo Domingo and that may suggest she has knowledge of the location.

If she is not dominicana or latina and has not been to the country it may be wise for her to visit the locations you have in mind for setting up a home. Let her get her feet wet to see if she likes the water. Do this before the bridges behind her are burned down. Let her make the choice.

Regards,

PJT

She's just a regular small town Ohioan who hates big cities.