Buying / Selling Cars for gringos

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Talk to the Gorgon.... he needs a time out today

Seriously, just search Gorgon...he does cars very well

ww. i am good today. i might sound angry, but i just have a soft spot for cops and other government servants here. they are modern day slaves...i can tell you that. anybody who works for a wage here is a slave. i have a friend who has a job with a major hotel outfit in POP, and she works 6 days a week, no overtime, brutal hours, for 10k per month. thats right...200 dollars!! guys blow that on booze on Pedro in a night. i remember when Mangu was still operating in Playa Dorada. a guy from Toronto bought a case of champagne, kept a bottle for himself, and gave away the rest. it was like nothing to him. that would be a year's salary for a cop here.

being poor is hell. i feel for people here. when a motoconcho guy asks for 5 pesos more, i feel it in my soul.

i am putting my new ad together...i should have it in by the weekend..

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
ww. i am good today. i might sound angry, but i just have a soft spot for cops and other government servants here. they are modern day slaves...i can tell you that. anybody who works for a wage here is a slave. i have a friend who has a job with a major hotel outfit in POP, and she works 6 days a week, no overtime, brutal hours, for 10k per month. thats right...200 dollars!! guys blow that on booze on Pedro in a night. i remember when Mangu was still operating in Playa Dorada. a guy from Toronto bought a case of champagne, kept a bottle for himself, and gave away the rest. it was like nothing to him. that would be a year's salary for a cop here.

being poor is hell. i feel for people here. when a motoconcho guy asks for 5 pesos more, i feel it in my soul.

i am putting my new ad together...i should have it in by the weekend..

Too bad you can't start a website for foreigners for car buying selling - Take some of the BS which you find on Corotos or SuperCarros - people that don't know the difference between kilometers and miles or have no idea what a timing belt is and if they ever changed it - but of course they are all 1-owner cars !
And 80% won't even answer a question on e-mail or Whatsapp

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Too bad you can't start a website for foreigners for car buying selling - Take some of the BS which you find on Corotos or SuperCarros - people that don't know the difference between kilometers and miles or have no idea what a timing belt is and if they ever changed it - but of course they are all 1-owner cars !
And 80% won't even answer a question on e-mail or Whatsapp

guys here are no different than guys in the USA. the presumption is that nobody knows anything, so they tell you ridiculous things about the cars they are selling. you just have to know what you are looking at, so you can laugh at them. and, if the car is a late model, and it came from the US, and they cannot produce the CARFAX, they are hiding something.

i just got through getting a Jeep Wrangler for a gentleman from the USA. among those i looked at was a lovely Sahara, and the dealer said he had a CARFAX, so i asked him to produce it. among other things, i like to know the state the car came from. well, he could not come up with it, so we got one run.

whaddya know? rebuilt salvage...

we let that one slide, then got a beautiful Sport Unlimited..

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
guys here are no different than guys in the USA. the presumption is that nobody knows anything, so they tell you ridiculous things about the cars they are selling. you just have to know what you are looking at, so you can laugh at them. and, if the car is a late model, and it came from the US, and they cannot produce the CARFAX, they are hiding something.

i just got through getting a Jeep Wrangler for a gentleman from the USA. among those i looked at was a lovely Sahara, and the dealer said he had a CARFAX, so i asked him to produce it. among other things, i like to know the state the car came from. well, he could not come up with it, so we got one run.

I assume you walled off that dealer's lot ?
Seems a lot of cars are sold as salvage now days even with some repairable fender benders. If air bags are deployed - almost always they become salvage

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I assume you walled off that dealer's lot ?
Seems a lot of cars are sold as salvage now days even with some repairable fender benders. If air bags are deployed - almost always they become salvage

insurance companies declare cars a total loss for reasons other than a damage limit calculation. let us say that a family has four Mercedes Benzes on a policy. one is a few weeks old, and gets into a bad wreck. the damage does not exceed the actual cash value, but the company does total the car, for public relations reasons.

ElVenao

Mar 16, 2017

I was under the impression that you couldn't even bring a car that has salvage title status here to the DR? Do people manage to sneak a way around that?????

Also, do people just scratch out the VIN number out of visibility so people can't do searches?

and lastly, is it also true that rebuilt cars that went through flooding or hail CANNOT be brought here to DR? I've heard from one friend that he saw a car that had flood damage and anyways was able to bring it here to DR!

I am under the impression that 99.999999999% of the dealers, or even individual sellers will cheat the miles by lowering them and will lie about the status of the car.

Are these dealers trustworthy in terms of you offering your car for sale??? I am going to the states in a couple of weeks (will comeback to DR in 2019) and need to sell my car but I am not sure If I should leave the car with a dealer while I am away.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I was under the impression that you couldn't even bring a car that has salvage title status here to the DR? Do people manage to sneak a way around that?????

Also, do people just scratch out the VIN number out of visibility so people can't do searches?

and lastly, is it also true that rebuilt cars that went through flooding or hail CANNOT be brought here to DR? I've heard from one friend that he saw a car that had flood damage and anyways was able to bring it here to DR!

I am under the impression that 99.999999999% of the dealers, or even individual sellers will cheat the miles by lowering them and will lie about the status of the car.

Are these dealers trustworthy in terms of you offering your car for sale??? I am going to the states in a couple of weeks (will comeback to DR in 2019) and need to sell my car but I am not sure If I should leave the car with a dealer while I am away.

there is a difference between a salvage certificate, which is what you get when you buy a salvage, and a rebuilt salvage title, which you get when you rebuild the car, and present it to the proper authorities for inspection.

and, no, you cannot scratch out the vin. if you plug in a scanner to the port, the vin will come up, anyway. that is unless somebody swapped out the onboard computer.

any kid with a laptop can change the mileage, and there is no affordable scanner with forensic properties to determine the real mileage.

Jan 9, 2004

By law salvage vehicles cannot be imported.....that is not to say..the law is always enforced.

What is allowed are vehicles with prior repaired (if needed) salvage titles after they have been re-branded and have 1 year of registration/operation outside the country.

Branded titles can include vehicles that had fire, collision, water (fresh/salt) and in some states hail damage. Further, vehicles that are recovered thefts may also get a branded title if recovered after the insurance company has paid off the owner.

There are a number of sophisticated schemes involving changing vins........but scratching them off is not one of them. A vehicles vin is located in numerous places, some known only to the manufacturer and law enforcement.

Again, re-branded vehicles are allowed after one year of registration outside the country.

Lots of that done here..........but far less than years ago. Carfax/Autocheck for those cars from the US and certain European countries has helped level the playing field somewhat....but it is not foolproof.

Someone with the proper equipment can pull up data and the real mileage......even if altered. Further there are two ways that those with the knowledge can check for flood damage........even after the vehicle has been cleaned and/or dried out.

In spite of the scare tactics of some, there are lots of good and reputable dealers here. Ask for recommendations. Just make sure you are not being steered to a certain dealer(s) by some seeking a commission for doing so.

Good luck with your sale.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Hi ctrob. Selling. Bought from a dealer here after much research but tired of the roads. Not like driving in the states

Advice hasn’t changed take out a classified as from the Home Page, fill it with photos of the car, then link it here