once more time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I know this has been gone over previously. But I don't recall the answer. I am thinking of returning to the DR and marrying one of the chicas with I have lived. I have had a heart attack and then pneumonia and am not in the best of health any more at 72 years old she is aware of that, but thinks if we marry when I kick off she will get my Social Security, although I have assorted her that it is not true. She knows someone who is doing it!
But my question has to do with the details of marrying. SHe tells me I need a documento de soltero. I have to bring this with me. I have heard of this before. Where does one look for this in the USA? Is there such a thing beyond my divorce certificate?
Thanks for any sincere input.
Der Fish

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
Actually, she may be able to collect as a widow. The only issue may be that survivors have to apply in person for the benefits, not on line.

From the SSA website:

"If you are the widow or widower of a person who worked long enough under Social Security, you can:

receive full benefits at full retirement age for survivors or reduced benefits as early as age 60."
I know this has been gone over previously. But I don't recall the answer. I am thinking of returning to the DR and marrying one of the chicas with I have lived. I have had a heart attack and then pneumonia and am not in the best of health any more at 72 years old she is aware of that, but thinks if we marry when I kick off she will get my Social Security, although I have assorted her that it is not true. She knows someone who is doing it!
But my question has to do with the details of marrying. SHe tells me I need a documento de soltero. I have to bring this with me. I have heard of this before. Where does one look for this in the USA? Is there such a thing beyond my divorce certificate?
Der Fish

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
You can do your soltero document here in the DR with any notary. But if you have been married and divorced or widowed you will need a copy of the divorce or death cert from the US, apostilled and translated in order to get married.

Matilda

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
SHe tells me I need a documento de soltero. I have to bring this with me. I have heard of this before. Where does one look for this in the USA? Is there such a thing beyond my divorce certificate?
Der Fish
Not sure where in your state, but I've seen the ones from New York, and they get it done at the Office of the City Clerk. It's a statement that says that you have no impediment to marry outside of the US.

As far as I know, you can also get this done locally with a notary public.

If you bring it from abroad, you´ll need to get it translated by a local Interprete Judicial.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I only required to present my Divorce certificate.... translated and Notarized in RD.
That was in March 2017.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Actually, she may be able to collect as a widow. The only issue may be that survivors have to apply in person for the benefits, not on line.

From the SSA website:

"If you are the widow or widower of a person who worked long enough under Social Security, you can:

receive full benefits at full retirement age for survivors or reduced benefits as early as age 60."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure she won't be able to.
When Ronnie died in BC they tried the same thing and she had been married for a while with him, but no luck.
Fishy, good to hear from you.
Make sure she's a good woman and not trying to hurry up your departure. ;)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Der Fish

looking forward to seeing you again, old timer..

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
The widow can receive his social security but as was posted above not until she herself is of retirement age herself. That was also the problem with Ronnie. his wife was not old enough.

Jan 9, 2004
Der Fish

Depends on many factors.....but it is possible.

Marriage must have been for at least 9 months in some cases and one year in others.

Either way, as has been pointed out, no benefits will be given to anyone under age 60......unless she is disabled or unless she has a minor child and you adopt that child.

In that case the minor child would receive half of your benefits until they are emancipated.

Note that there are survivor benefits and their are spousal benefits...each having different rules

In order for her to qualify for spousal benefits you will have to be married for at least 9 months.

She may begin collecting reduced benefits at age 60, or if she is disabled.....at age 50. If she has a minor child and you adopt him/her, that child will receive reduced benefits until that child is emancipated....longer if the child is disabled.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2 

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
Der Fish

I believe that there is a minimum time of marriage before you can collect Social Security under your spouses account when they pass away or are even alive. I am not sure that it may be 10 years, so stay alive a little longer. I also think that the other person must have contributed into the system and have their 40 quarters paid in before they can collect on husband behalf.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Der Fish

I believe that is possible however if you have been married previously for 10 years or more your first wife could put a claim on the survivor benefit amount being paid out. I don't know all the details of your background so I would suggest you go to the US Social Security site and call someone with your questions. You should be able to get a better understanding of what is possible. Buenos Suarte.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
great to see you post again, fish. i missed you.

does it really matter whether she can receive your SS? you'll be dead by then anyways. what counts is that you have loving care at old age.

Jan 9, 2004
great to see you post again, fish. i missed you.

does it really matter whether she can receive your SS? you'll be dead by then anyways. what counts is that you have loving care at old age.

It appears to be a Quid pro quo.........they both get something.....he gets care and she his spousal social security benefit at some point in the future.

And while the Dominican mindset often revolves around money, the greatest benefit she would be eligible for, and likely does not even know, is the opportunity to receive legal permanent resident status in the US as the wife of a US citizen.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Status
Not open for further replies.