Medical School Questions

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My cousin’s daughter is planning on attending medical school in DR in two years.  

I presume there is a student visa she will have to apply for.

Anyone have any opinion regarding the different medical schools?  

Which is considered the best?  

Sep 4, 2012
My cousin’s daughter is planning on attending medical school in DR in two years.  

UASD, PUCCMM, UCE for quickest graduation.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
UASD, PUCCMM, UCE for quickest graduation.

I seem to remember PUCCMM is the best education with UCE close behind. I know UASD is supposed to be good too but I wouldn't send anyone there.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I seem to remember PUCCMM is the best education with UCE close behind. I know UASD is supposed to be good too but I wouldn't send anyone there.

Dumb question, but is there a separate medical school elsewhere?  It’s taught in English ?  

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Does she want her medical degree recognized by the USA? If so I think only one the medical schools in the DR is recognized.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Does she want her medical degree recognized by the USA? If so I think only one the medical schools in the DR is recognized.

Yes, she is American, plans to do residency back in USA. She currently works in a NY hospital lab while in college.

Which one is recognized?

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
The problem with UASD is too many students protest, so that wouldn't be a good option.

She will have to apply for an student visa, and its very easy to get it in the Dominicans consulates in the USA.

Sep 4, 2012

Actually, UASD offers the best as far as education and practices, second by PUCMM and at last UCE.

UCE isn't bad, its just that the other two are superior, but UCE has the shorter program of all.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Sep 4, 2012

Not entirely true. Upon graduation of Medical School in the DR, students now becomes an IMG and that is enough to practice in certain states of the union w/o having to pass LCME.

Ask me how I know....

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Not entirely true. Upon graduation of Medical School in the DR, students now becomes an IMG and that is enough to practice in certain states of the union w/o having to pass LCME.

Ask me how I know....

While I wait for the rest of the group to make their way into the clubhouse, I will take the bait.....how do you know?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
from the link for UCE posted by Matilda

Program Description

Successful completion of the M.D. Degree prepares the student for the practice of Medcine. Al courses are taught in Spanish. Student may take the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE). Successful completion of the 3 Step exams allows the student to enter the workforce as a graduate Medical Doctor in the United States.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
Which one is in San Pedro de Marcois? I met a student at SDQ who was attending that one in the early 80's. I told myself to always check the schools of any doctor I went to to make sure they were not educated in the DR.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
What about O&M Medical School?

Alida's niece attended medical school in St. Martin until it got blown away.

Jan 9, 2004

I have heard good things about UNIBE from US students attending there.

If funding/loans are part of the picture, UNIBE supposedly is/was the only school eligible to receive federal financial aid loans for US students.

HB may certainly have further insight as to PUCMM.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Which one is in San Pedro de Marcois? I met a student at SDQ who was attending that one in the early 80's. I told myself to always check the schools of any doctor I went to to make sure they were not educated in the DR.

UCE is there.

Matilda