Amelia Alcántara: Dominican Scandalous Interview of the Year!

What do you think of Amelia Alcántara's interview in El Mañanero?

• She's a disgrace and doesn't represent the average Dominican woman.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • She says it as it is in modern Dominican society.

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Last Monday (May 28) the Santo Domingo based radioshow El Mañanero han an interview with Amelia Alcántara.

The interview has been a complete hit. In a matter of days it received more than 500,000 views and today, after its full week since coming on air, surpasses 700,000 views.

In addition to the very high interest level it has captured from the Dominican audience online, on the radio, and on television; it has also created a scandal with many high profile Dominican women criticizing Amelia Alcántara for her ways.

The problem?

Amelia talks with complete frankness. In the interview she said that she is a chapiadora and confesses that she sleeps with married men. According to her, if she likes a man she goes after him with all her fury, the resulting problems that could arise because of the extramarital affair is only between the guy and his wife, according to her. She claims many of her exes gave her a car and an apartment, among other things. She also said that all Dominican women sleep with married men, and when Liz says she's one that doesn't do that, Amelia responds that Liz should be given a crown for being such a rarity.

She mentions many well known Dominican women that are chapiadoras too, many of which are her friends (or were, after this interview I doubt many of those friendships are in good standing, lol.)

She implies that a man that doesn't sleeps with her within a week of starting to date is not worth it. She's not going to wait to have intimate relations, the waiting game is a thing of the past.

One of the funniest (some say saddest) part is when she's asked if she has been with men that she felt nothing for and only for the money/material things he gave her. She said yes and then said that as soon that men give her money/things she falls in love with them. A man that doesn't give her anything is thrown to the curb, her words.

Anyway, she's a very honest woman, albeit corrupt in so many other ways.

Criticisms after the interview center much on her, but many Dominicans also say that she is being honest and that most modern Dominican women are exactly as she is with the exception that they create a facade of prudeness while Amelia simply says it like it is.

Unfortunately for many DR1ers, the interview is in Spanish only and no English subtitles, as far as I can tell.

[video=youtube;AJyXaP52jc4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJyXaP52jc4[/video]

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Ana Simó, a well known Dominican communicator and psychologist, was one of the first to criticize Amelia Alcántara, categorizing her as a lowlife and a shame.

[video=youtube;qp_nmdPcWL4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp_nmdPcWL4[/video]

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Elaine Feliz also analysed her statements and gets to the root of the issue IMO. It's on her FB page and you have to scroll down to find it - www.facebook.com/pg/elainefeliz1/posts/ - I can't see a way of sharing the actual video.

Her conclusions could be said to fall under option 2 in the poll, but she is neither complacent nor approving about the way things are in DR society. She says Amelia is the product of what is wrong with DR society and explains what has to change to stop young women and their families from seeing Amelia's choices as a valid survival strategy.

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
Amelia who....folks fall for this kind of crap daily....Alcantara is a nobody that is desperate for publicity and will bs in the process....

Feb 7, 2007
Elaine Feliz also analysed her statements and gets to the root of the issue IMO. It's on her FB page and you have to scroll down to find it - www.facebook.com/pg/elainefeliz1/posts/ - I can't see a way of sharing the actual video.

Her conclusions could be said to fall under option 2 in the poll, but she is neither complacent nor approving about the way things are in DR society. She says Amelia is the product of what is wrong with DR society and explains what has to change to stop young women and their families from seeing Amelia's choices as a valid survival strategy.

This is the post:

https://www.facebook.com/elainefeliz1/videos/vb.266308696834568/1241217699343658/?type=2&theater

and this is the video link directly:

[video]https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Felainefeliz1%2Fvideos%2F1241217699343658%2F&show_text=0&width=560[/video]

https://video-mia3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v...=3c4654850f7f3b848e5006f185bcaca9&oe=5B1567D2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
 Think we can all agree tha societal norms here are a bit different.

I heard a good one the other day.....

Father and mother had 2 children.
One day , the husband brings home a 4 month old for his wife to raise.
Was his by another woman he didn’t trust to rear the child.

Nobody blinked, they are a happy family of 5 to day...children +/- 30 yrs old.

Guess which is Mummy’s favorite ?!!

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
Excuse me for saying sir but you are perpetuating garbage......or was that a joke told by a comedian...

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Sorry that is not garbage...been here along time and have seen this several times. Women raising children born outside the marriage/relationship. A very well educated couple we know have 4 children, one born outside the marriage/relationship. Not as uncommon as you think.

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
I was born here and those ideas are offensive....I have many women in my family...cousins, aunts, sisters, mother and grandmother....you should not generalize....it makes idiots of otherwise intelligent people...oh I see having children outside marriage is a Dominican thing...found only here....you people are laughable....

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Not saying all Dominican women behave in this way however I will
say of all the countries I've lived in, they are by far the most promiscuous.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Understand--
where I come from those things don't happen...odd to me

But normal here as I read your comments.

The story was told by one of the 3 siblings... not a comedian.

He did say he felt jealousy now and again

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Overlooking your insult that we are laughable...no it does not only happen in the DR (this is a DR forum), happens elsewhere too. Some women forgive and know its not the child's fault. While not the best situation I am sure but providing a stable/caring environment for a child is what some deem more important than what the neighbors think. Is it the norm no but it definitely does happen. Even in the best of households.

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015

The daddy should be applauded along with the family....sounds to me like he is a responsible guy....kid being provided for in a family environment...what is wrong with that....

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
Overlooking your insult that we are laughable...no it does not only happen in the DR (this is a DR forum), happens elsewhere too. Some women forgive and know its not the child's fault. While not the best situation I am sure but providing a stable/caring environment for a child is what some deem more important than what the neighbors think. Is it the norm no but it definitely does happen. Even in the best of households.

Being funny is an insult...come on buddy lighten up....but I do agree with it happens all over mother earth....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Excuse me for saying sir but you are perpetuating garbage......or was that a joke told by a comedian...

I was born here and those ideas are offensive....I have many women in my family...cousins, aunts, sisters, mother and grandmother....you should not generalize....it makes idiots of otherwise intelligent people...oh I see having children outside marriage is a Dominican thing...found only here....you people are laughable....

The daddy should be applauded along with the family....sounds to me like he is a responsible guy....kid being provided for in a family environment...what is wrong with that....

Are you changing your mind on us Juan ??

I like it !!