Charcoal -- Carbon

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We have talked about this before and I have heard rumors locally about the crackdown on charcoal.

Everyone seems to believe that ALL charcoal is being targeted.... I do not think that.

Small producers - personal use producers are not affected , I say.

We gather fallen branches & trees after storms to make carbon....
we are not stripping large acreage for wood.
Commercial operations have 80+ ovens capable of huge amounts of charcoal.

Read today's report :

Ministry of Environment cracks down on illicit charcoal operations

The Ministry of Environment reported seizing 2,897 bags of charcoal and the destruction of 86 ovens for charcoal production with a capacity of producing 3,000 100lb-sacks of charcoal. The raids and seizures occurred in the border region between the Dominican Republic and Haiti. Haiti is a major charcoal exporter, and almost all of the charcoal is illicitly produced in the Dominican Republic.

The Ministry reported that “Operación Chispa” (Operation Spark) was carried out with 256 interventions nationwide to send a clear signal that the government is going to combat the damaging practice.

New Minister of Environment Angel Estevez says the most active points in charcoal production and transport are the provinces of Barahona, Bahoruco, Elías Piña, Dajabón, Pedernales and Independencia on the border with Haiti.

The operation was coordinated by technicians of the Ministry of Environment, working with park rangers, the National Service for Environmental Protection (SENPA), the Dominican Army, Armada, Air Force, National Police, Specialized Corps for Ground Border Security (Cesfront), Ciudad Tranquila (Ciutran) and the Specialized Corps for Touristic Security (Cestur).

https://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...-de-produccion
https://elnuevodiario.com.do/medio-a...struye-hornos/

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
We have talked about this before and I have heard rumors locally about the crackdown on charcoal.

Everyone seems to believe that ALL charcoal is being targeted.... I do not think that.

Small producers - personal use producers are not affected , I say.

We gather fallen branches & trees after storms to make carbon....
we are not stripping large acreage for wood.
Commercial operations have 80+ ovens capable of huge amounts of charcoal.

Read today's report :

Ministry of Environment cracks down on illicit charcoal operations

The Ministry of Environment reported seizing 2,897 bags of charcoal and the destruction of 86 ovens for charcoal production with a capacity of producing 3,000 100lb-sacks of charcoal. The raids and seizures occurred in the border region between the Dominican Republic and Haiti. Haiti is a major charcoal exporter, and almost all of the charcoal is illicitly produced in the Dominican Republic.

The Ministry reported that “Operación Chispa” (Operation Spark) was carried out with 256 interventions nationwide to send a clear signal that the government is going to combat the damaging practice.

New Minister of Environment Angel Estevez says the most active points in charcoal production and transport are the provinces of Barahona, Bahoruco, Elías Piña, Dajabón, Pedernales and Independencia on the border with Haiti.

The operation was coordinated by technicians of the Ministry of Environment, working with park rangers, the National Service for Environmental Protection (SENPA), the Dominican Army, Armada, Air Force, National Police, Specialized Corps for Ground Border Security (Cesfront), Ciudad Tranquila (Ciutran) and the Specialized Corps for Touristic Security (Cestur).

https://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...-de-produccion
https://elnuevodiario.com.do/medio-a...struye-hornos/

No the're not worried about you. It has been a major problem with mass manufacturers clearing forests and destroying the environment, especially in Haiti.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It's a misunderstood message Steve,
The locals here think that carbon is forbidden to all...
shouldn't be made, sold or bought.

Indeed when I was loading up one fall, many here warned me of the consequences of dealing in contraband.

I think the above article makes clear the 'commercial' aspect...

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
No the're not worried about you. It has been a major problem with mass manufacturers clearing forests and destroying the environment, especially in Haiti.

Exactly... I heard almost all the Charcoal comes from Haiti, even with the transportation costs its still cheaper to bring it in from Haiti in those big bags .
..they are cutting down everything and anything , so desperate for money for food . That is not where charcoal should be coming from. it should be from Trees cut down within the DR..but as usual profit drives everything..
Its a bad Scenario. If you look at Satellite Images of Haiti, why do you think the landscape is completely different . deforestation for charcoal . with the result being rainwater washing everything into the rivers .

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
WW - Why do you make your own? Hobby type thing? Better than store bought?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
ctrob...
I help an old man who makes it ... sole source of income for him.
He makes a bunch - I finance the workers and get my bags -- he sells the rest

AE
yes, if you read the article the carbon is actually Dominican , sold by Haitians.
These are huge operations with massive production capabilities.

Both Haiti & RD need carbon - it's almost a staple as I see it

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I use carbon for my habichuelas. It gives them the proper smoky flavour which I desire. For other outdoor cooking, I depend upon store bought charcoal.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
2vwtqmv.jpg

They are very desperate. This photo is of them unloading a boatload of it in the Bahamas.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I use carbon for my habichuelas. It gives them the proper smoky flavour which I desire. For other outdoor cooking, I depend upon store bought charcoal.

My group of friends have discussed this at length..Charcoal cooking.
we compare gas to charcoal....
In most cases we have both.

In Canada & the US , I have every kind of 'briquette' - the high heat, Mesquite flavor, long burning.......
But never the Match Light.

I feel our natural DR carbon is additive free
Actually, I swear by it... pure charcoal.

The others are tampered with in some way or other.

and then we have the price issue....

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My group of friends have discussed this at length..Charcoal cooking.
we compare gas to charcoal....
In most cases we have both.

In Canada & the US , I have every kind of 'briquette' - the high heat, Mesquite flavor, long burning.......
But never the Match Light.

I feel our natural DR carbon is additive free
Actually, I swear by it... pure charcoal.

The others are tampered with in some way or other.

and then we have the price issue....

All of it is used to barbeque meat. Meat causes cancer, ergo meat is bad for you.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Bob
I do the whole meal on the grill... in cast iron mostly 

Vegetables , fish , and yes meat... but not much meat

My wife instructs me that bacon and alcohol are the cancer causers 

I gave up bacon....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Example
Tonight was brocolli and cauliflower grilled with chicken kabobs (pinchos) and berejena with cheese on top 

And remember, I am a cancer survivor/patient whatever.....

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Everything taste so much better on the charcoal grill. Forget that push here and fire up a propane grill, charcoal or nothing...….

Found a new spot in Santo Domingo for those times I don't feel like doing it myself, La Carrnita.

ilx4l2.jpg

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Everything taste so much better on the charcoal grill. Forget that push here and fire up a propane grill, charcoal or nothing...….

Found a new spot in Santo Domingo for those times I don't feel like doing it myself, La Carrnita.

ilx4l2.jpg

bird would be helpful if you provided an address with the mouth watering pic. or at least the section of town!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
bird would be helpful if you provided an address with the mouth watering pic. or at least the section of town!

jejejeje, trying to keep it a secret!

La Carrnita
Calle Jacinto Mañon, esquina Manuel de Jesus Troncoso (Entre Churchill y Lincoln)
Ensanche Paraiso, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic 11005

https://www.facebook.com/lacarrnita/

This place works the same as Bambinos Grill on Bolivar. You select your meat and veggies from the refrigerated case, they weight it, and then grill it up on the spot. For beer lovers they also have a selection of about twenty different imported beers.

Last edited:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Why is food prepared on a BBQ here often burnt? I don't think an overdose of carbon is good for you - it certainly doesn't taste appealing.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It's not the country Buster -- the chef is the problem

No more burned here than anywhere.

If you like charred look up 'Down & Dirty' grilling

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
It's not the country Buster -- the chef is the problem

No more burned here than anywhere.

If you like charred look up 'Down & Dirty' grilling

Yes grill man, charred would be the word. That is where the outdoor cooking flavor is and you just don't get that with a gas grill. Charred and burnt are two completely different things, and I know you know that.

Now to sauce it or not to sauce it is the question. Properly BBQed meat IMO really doesn't need any sauce, none at all...….. well maybe a touch just for dipping. Just me but I think too many people think BBQ ribs has to be plastered in some bottle sauce and that just ruins it.

Last edited:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Mesquite and apple wood give the best flavor and plenty of smoky flavor for the chicken and ribs and my favorite corn on the cob and okra dipped in corn meal if you have a barbeque vegetable tray.

When I was in Puerto Rico I witnessed them barbeque pinchos over pressure-treated two by fours. How's that for smokey flavored stupidity.