Are there any Irish in the audience?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
THIS ONE'S FOR THE IRISH CATHOLICS!!

Hello," said the Father, "and how is Mrs. O'Donovan?
Din'a marry ya two years ago?"

She replied "You did that, Father."

"And be there any little ones yet?"

"No, not yet, Father," said she.

"Well, now, I'm gon to Rome next week, and I'll light
a candle for ya."

"Oh, thank ya, Father." And away she went.

Some years later they met again.

"Well, now, Mrs. O'Donovan," said the Father, "how are ya?"

"Oh, very well," said she.

"And tell me," he said, "have ya any little ones yet?"

"Oh yes, Father. I've had three sets of twins, and four
singles--ten in all."

"Now isn't that wonderful," he said. "And how is yar lovely husband?"

"Oh," she said, "he's gon to Rome to blow out yar fookin' candle."

HB
cool.gif

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Q: What is black and blue and found floating up sidedown in the Irish sea?

A: Someone who's tells a stupid Irish joke

Regards, PJT

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
oxymoron.....(drum roll,please)

Irish restaurant....

Sorry, Emerald Islanders...Question for our fair skinned friends...why hasn't garlic made its way into your kitchen?...garlic would be one of the top ten items I would take with me if stranded on a deserted island

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I guess I'm not fair skinned cos I use onions or garlic on most dishes. Oh and olive oil of course.

Corona

Apr 18, 2002
Irish Lass Here!

I've a fair amount of the Irish blood in my veins, coming from the Murphy's!! Great-gran'ma was full Irish; her husband full German. Also throw in English and French from my Grandmother who married their son, the Cree nation from my biological father who married their daughter, and ye have me! The final product might be coined "Heinz 57", and I think it is a delightful mix! My late husband was a Scot-Frenchman, so my sons are hearty stock, indeed!

I LOVED the jokes!

My guy is part-Choctaw, a beautiful man if I do say so myself!
(Said in the best lilting Irish brogue...!!) (Doing a little war dance on the side... this is such fun!)

Can ye explain the garlic thing t'me, lad?? I luve garlic, Irish or no!

Tell me about your backgrounds, will ye??

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hi Corona..

My wife is mainly Irish with some English and sundry others.....she voluntarily admitted to me that she and her siblings had NEVER SEEN A CLOVE OF GARLIC until they moved out of the house...what gastronomic deprivation!.....fortunately, my little beautiful daughter inherited dad's Dominican flavor needs...she devoured the locrio con habichuelas that dad made...

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
locrio

The locrio I make is basically chicken and rice and seasonings. I have to warn you that I am one of those who cooks by feel and by what I find in the refrigerator....this is what I recall making the other night..also note that a lot of Dominicans use seasoning packets and pre-made sauces (see: Goya), but due to a gluten-intolerant diet, we have to use nearly all fresh ingredients:

3 chicken legs (thighs and drumsticks):

1. remove the skin from the thigh part, season with salt and fresh ground black pepper and a little bit oregano flakes
2. put a tablespoon or two olive oil in a skillet and heat to medium high. place chicken and sear both sides. I like to sear it with the pan covered, that way nothing escapes and you get a smoky flavor. dont worry if the chicken sticks to the pan...that comes in handy.

Seasoning
while the chicken is searing, combine the following ingredients in a deep pan and stir fry over low heat, 10 minutes

an entire bulb of chopped up garlic (thats right, about 15 cloves!!)
1/2 medium spanish onion
fresh chopped oregano
salt and fresh black pepper
cilantro flakes
2 tbs olive oil
chopped fresh tomato

3. when done, to the seasoning mixture add: 2 cups water,2 tbs tomato paste,tesapoon paprika (gives color), and the chicken
4. cover, simmer in low heat for 45 minutes or longer if you can stand it.
5. add a little maple syrup or honey about half way thru. add salt to taste.
6. after the simmering, add 2 cups of rice and maybe another 1/2 cup of water. I actually added some more paprika at this point for color and taste. taste for saltiness.
7. cover simmer over low heat for about 1/2 hour or longer if you want "concon". do not stir while its cooking. when its done, let it stand 15mins...get some ripened plantains...fry them and enjoy!!

NOTE: add 1/4 cup water to the pan where the chicken was seared...break up all those goodies at the bottom of the pan...and

Edited to finish sentence: ...and heat it up and save it as chicken stock to add to the bean dish!

Last edited:

jessica__78

Apr 3, 2002
WOW! I have never heard of using honey! What does that bring to the chicken?

In my house we have takin stock in garlic!

Do you use fresh cilantro?

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
honey

Jessica, I have found that adding just a little bit of sugar helps anytime you have lots of acidic ingredients such as fresh tomato and peppers. I actually mainly use the maple syrup..then brown sugar...then honey.

I have also found that for sweets and desserts....if you add JUST A LITTLE salt, it gives it a more "interesting" flavor.

I have been getting away form using fresh cilantro recently if I am going to cook it for a while. Overcooked fresh herbs such as cilantro can get a little bitter. when i add them to my dishes, i do so almost when the dish is done...that way you still get the great aroma and taste of the herbs without overcooking them.

jessica__78

Apr 3, 2002
I have heard of putting sugar in the oil untill it gets so hot that its black, but only used for color! But the mapel sryup is one I am going to have to try! THANKS
kiss.gif

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
The Irish one is right here!!

Oh boy, what a thread to come home to... I just got back last night from the Auld Sod, as we say. Thankfully everyone in my family is doing pretty well out there, they are way out on the West Coast practically in the middle of the ocean! But it was relaxing to be there, and just hang around... and drink tea!!! God almighty, one cup in every house you visit translates to going to bathroom every five minutes... literally.

I missed you guys though, I missed the internet in general!! Hard to get newspapers back there sometimes, honestly. Spent a lot of time listening to Gaelic too, which I only understand bits and pieces of, but the whole family is bilingual.

And I loved that black and blue joke... very true.

So mind yerself there now HB, ye nayhver know whos listenin!