Danger in the capital?

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
More questions from the newly arrived. (I celebrated three weeks in the DR yesterday!)

Does anyone think it might get dangerous in the capital during or after the elections? Someone told me that we are advised to stay in our houses on the 16th unless going to or coming from the polls.

One other question for those who have some international experience:

My company contends that Santo Domingo is as safe as any other city (Paris, London, NY) in the world. I KNOW it's not as safe as Portland, Oregon (where I'm from) but Portland is small potatoes compared to Santo Domingo. Does anyone else have an opinion? I've heard of quite a few people who've been mugged but don't know if these are cautionary tales for the newly arrived gringa or there is real danger in the city.

:) Rachel

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Always danger in a big city!!!

And Santo Domingo is NO exception!
It's better to keep in mind that large sities attract more criminally minded people that small cities simple because of the ready availability of "goods", "money","drugs" and "victims".

So do be careful and alert at all times but especially after dark!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No darlin' just for the winners and losers..

I would suggest that you take a vacation if possible...get out of Dodge..Go east, see Juan Dolio. I can point you in a right direction if you wish..

HB
needs_a_shave.gif

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
I was there 2 years ago during the elections and yes, in Santo Domingo, it gets pretty crazy, street riots and stuff. Just stay out of the centre area where it is going on, you will be fine!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Having lived in SD for over half my life I think my opinion counts for something. Election time does not make Santo Domingo more dangerous (or less dangerous for that matter). I would guess that where you live you are perfectly safe. On the 16th I will walk to the voting center and as soon as I am over with it I have plans for going out. Of course lots of people will be travelling outside of town to vote, I suggest you stay away of the roads, stay in town.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Jeez, here's an idea!!

Why not hook up with Da PIB and watch her vote!. It will take up some time, but two is better than one. then yu can go do something.....Walk the Malecon, go see a movie, watch the riots at PRD party headquarters or PRSC or PLD for that matter....Just kidding, nothing is going to happen....

I was thinking that the Presidential Decree gave us off from midday on Wednesday until the 'evening" if the 17th??? Makes for a great 5 day weekend....

Let me see....so much to do and so little time.....

HB (Who thanks Anna from the bottom of his heart.)
needs_a_shave.gif

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
Nice idea HB but...

I thought our friend Hipo took back the 17th because of employer freak-outs.

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
Yeah!

Goddess -- I mean Pib,

Sounds like you have plans for that day but I'll send you and email and perhaps we can meet up another day for the grand tour.

:) rachel