Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tourism in DR

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DRDone View Post
    Let's see where this goes. I think the DR potential to have extraordinary value and differentiate itself from other locations is great. The commoditization of the travel industry is due to the desire of the present traveler to sit on the beach and do nothing else. Why go to one of the most dangerous places on Earth to do that (yes that's the DR).
    What the DR does offer is unreal natural beauty, going from beautiful beaches to 11,000 foot elevations, to potential hiking, to whale watching to kite surfing, to almost anything. This does not have the feel of a small island and differentiation would be easy. If you offered a 1 or 2 week tour across the country that would be a dream vacation. The problem is the towns and the culture and the overall corruption of government and pretty much all the people. I'll leave it at that, but in terms of the DR being able to differentiate itself by the nature of the country, there are a million ways to do that. Now it is just allowing for those ideas to flourish without getting robbed blind (both tourists and investors).
    well said.

2. Likes Dov1984 liked this post
    Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chico bill View Post
    Everything is cyclical - Tourism hot spots become ghost towns and then may become hot again.
    I first came to Punta Cana in 2000 - the place was ramping up development sure but it with some local flare and several AI hotels.
    The beaches were sandy and clean and the water a clear beautiful blue and the hotels were very affordable. I drove across the island last year for a week and for whatever reason the beaches are now covered in seaweed and the water so full of it swimming is not a pleasant experience (almost impossible for kids to wade out). Is this because the number of AIs have done something to the water ? But the quaint local charm factor is gone (for me) - People will still continue to come but the prices are not as appealing and if the seaweed problem continues I expect fewer people will want to return.
    This year my beach experience other than Playa Grande and Sosua will be Playa Russo and a trip to Barranquilla in Colombia, which will cost about the same as a week in Punta Cana.

Tourism is cyclical, nothing lasts forever - San Francisco, Acapulco, Mazatlan are some examples

Science Magazine recently published an article about the seaweed crisis that is threatning beach tourism all over the Caribbean. One of the largest batch of seaweed on record is currently affecting  Puerto Rico, this one might reach the DR too.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/...ibbean-islands
    Moderator Polls Forum

4. Likes GringoRubio liked this post
    No fui yo!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NALs View Post
    Science Magazine recently published an article about the seaweed crisis that is threatning beach tourism all over the Caribbean. One of the largest batch of seaweed on record is currently affecting  Puerto Rico, this one might reach the DR too.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/...ibbean-islands
    Scary. If this is the long term future of the Caribbean then tourism will suffer. I think theyPacific is still reasonably free of seaweed

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chico bill View Post
    Scary. If this is the long term future of the Caribbean then tourism will suffer. I think theyPacific is still reasonably free of seaweed

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
    Let's hope this is not the future, growing up in NJ that is all I remember about going to the beaches here, that plus needles & other medical waste

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

7. Likes GringoRubio liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    I might be wrong but seems most of the tourist in the Dom Rep are European or Canadian. Not many charters from the USA. Flights coming from the US are full of Dominicans spending money locally. These are the same that send remittances. So for the AI’s it is a matter of getting charter flights in and out of the tourist airports. Most tourist want a direct flight and Cancun does a good job at courting them. In the early 90’s Auruba had a big charter/travel agent clientele in Boston. Not so big anymore. With the choices out there many go to a DR AI once. My friends had nothing good to say except the beach was nice. All went to Punta Cana against my warning. 

Bottom line is. The resort offering the best food and service at a fair price would be what my crowd of people are looking for. I have friends dropping 30K at Beaches T&C for a family of 4 and others settling in Barbados with a time share. With the internet and more information there are many places to go other than AI’s. Let’s see what the millennials go for in the upcoming years. I doubt with the information out there the DR will be their first choice......
    There are a lot of charter flights to DR/Punta Cana from the USA. Apple/Cheap Caribbean/Vacation Express etc., have direct charter flights operating out of 25 USA Airports. Then lots of direct airline flights from NY, Charlotte, FLL, Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, Houston, etc., most to PUJ. Not including Mexico/Canada border countries, Americans travel to UK the most, then DR is next slightly ahead of France.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Through November 2017:

"Among foreign visitors, 56.3% hailed from North America (the U.S., Canada and Mexico), 25.8% from Europe, 12.8% from South America and the rest from Central America and Asia, according to the Central Bank report.

Countries showing the largest increases included Russia, England, Germany and the Ukraine.

More than 95% of the visitors reported coming for recreation; 93.7% said they stayed at a hotel or resort..."

https://www.travelweekly.com/Caribbe...crease-in-2017

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234