Oven or no oven?

Boowow

Feb 5, 2015
Would love to hear folk's opinions on having an oven or not?

Thinking of removing oven and just having a gas range/stove top.

When living in the DR full time is an oven important?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I couldn't live without my oven. Cakes, biscuits, bread, roast chicken, roast pork, pizzas. It's true many Dominicans do not use an oven, but then many don't make pizzas, roast chicken or bake bread.

Matilda

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Would love to hear folk's opinions on having an oven or not?

Thinking of removing oven and just having a gas range/stove top.

When living in the DR full time is an oven important?

In my opinion nobody but you yourself (or the persons living in your household) can answer this question. We live in the DR (my better half being from here), and she cooks with the oven at least weekly, sometimes several times a week. Then again, I've read on this forum that in many cases in the DR people just use the oven for storage space, so I'd assume it really depends on the people using it, if it's necessary or not...

I don't complain at all, as where I come from (European), I could not imagine a household without oven...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I use our oven frequently, because I make a lot of mango bread, banana bread, etc.  I also roast chicken, if it’s not too hot.  When the temps are up, I use the gas grill more, but can’t bake on it!  

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I use our oven frequently, because I make a lot of mango bread, banana bread, etc.  I also roast chicken, if it’s not too hot.  When the temps are up, I use the gas grill more, but can’t bake on it!  
Now that we purchanced an excellent oven that actually gets as hot as we need (up to 550F) and at the correct set temperature, we use it much more frequently.

Before, not so much because baked and roasted items dod not come out so well....

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
We use a toaster oven, gas burners, a BBQ and a microwave. In 10 years we have not missed an oven.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
An oven...yes!!.. especially if it is a convection oven.
Can't do without one.
Russell

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if you are contemplating getting rid of it then you are not using it as much, right? then by all means, stay with the stove top. at worst you can get a toaster oven.

i use our gas oven nearly every day and toaster oven does not cut it for me: too small and does not get to high enough temperatures. we even want a bigger one for our new kitchen. but to each their own.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I don't use my conventional gas oven because it makes the kitchen too hot. However, I recently bought an infra-red oven, which you place on the counter top and I find it ideal for my limited amount of oven cooking without making everything else too hot.

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
I use mine, cakes, cookies, bread  sometimes for the neighborhood as I dont think anyone on the block has an oven.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012

Sure you can; indirect cooking is essentially baking

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hey, william webster! How is your new oven?

Just fine thank you... excellent actually

I had forgotten about it until I arrived end of May.... a pleasant surprise all over again

I thank you for your help -- again

Even though I bested you by $100

hahaha

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Well, if you buy a dominican POS, you can expect it to look cheap and ungainly, but it will oddly last way beyond what you expect it to. You'll likely beat it to the grave. But, everybody will assume you're dominican poor and you won't be robbed.

Or, you can buy a high end, European model which will give you a hernia carrying it into the house, but look marvelous. People will assume that you have excess cash and now you are fair game for robbery. If you have a dog, say goodbye, as he's likely to be poisoned in one of the attempts.

So, buy something along the looks/price gradient that you can live with, but in line with your security measures.