'vaya' o 'se vaya' con dios

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
which is correct? Or, maybe both are fine. It seems that dominicans lean heavily towards the irse forms of the verb are correct.

A poignant reminder given that a coworker dropped dead over the weekend from an apparent heart attack. It's a small company and the man was Cuban. Hence, president signed an email to all with 'vaya con dios'. Or, perhaps he didn't know if should use the more personal 'te vaya'.

Perhaps that's not what's bothering me. You might have to file this under TMI, but I myself had a cat scan for a spot on my lung today. I've never smoked and the reason for my doctor's worries were my low pulse ox, but I've had that since I lived in the altitudes of Colorado for 14 years which is normal for people that live there. I doubt it's anything, but it's worth checking out.

Give your love ones a hug. 'Si Dios quiere' is a reality for all of us.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
which is correct? Or, maybe both are fine. It seems that dominicans lean heavily towards the irse forms of the verb are correct.

A poignant reminder given that a coworker dropped dead over the weekend from an apparent heart attack. It's a small company and the man was Cuban. Hence, president signed an email to all with 'vaya con dios'. Or, perhaps he didn't know if should use the more personal 'te vaya'.

Perhaps that's not what's bothering me. You might have to file this under TMI, but I myself had a cat scan for a spot on my lung today. I've never smoked and the reason for my doctor's worries were my low pulse ox, but I've had that since I lived in the altitudes of Colorado for 14 years which is normal for people that live there. I doubt it's anything, but it's worth checking out.

Give your love ones a hug. 'Si Dios quiere' is a reality for all of us.

Do you know that ir and irse have different meanings? The usage is not an issue of preference. One or the other changes the meaning of a phrase.

You realize voy and me voy don’t mean the same.

Post # 2 confirms the correct usage. Vaya con Dios. It is used when you wish a person well. It is almost old-fashioned in my opinion but it is still used. Just from a point of making sense there is no way that one can say Te vaya con Dios. I don’t know what that means.

Same in post #3. What does Que te vayas con Dios mean? It does not even make sense if the person really wants to convey Vaya con Dios. This grammar point has to do with knowing who the subject of the sentence is when you are wishing someone something. Therefore, te vayas is invalid.

If anyone else wants to explain further, please go ahead.

-MP.

Sep 4, 2012
"Vaya con Dios" is more common in Central/South America -- "Que Dios te acompane" is what am used to here in the DR the most.