Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 80

Thread: Why is it Dominicans eat Bananas with la Bandera (Arroz, Habichuela, Carne)?

  1. #11
    Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    48
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonD View Post
    Why is Guineo so important to have with lunch meal, la bandera?

    What's the tale?
    This is not only a Dominican phenomenon, it is done by Puerto Ricans as well.

    I suppose it's the combination of sweet and salty and perhaps bananas are an acceptable substitute in the absence of sweet plantains...and yeah, because it tastes delicious as someone else stated.

  2. Likes JasonD liked this post
  3. #12
    Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    48
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aguaita29 View Post
    It isn't SO important. Some people just pick a banana to have as a dessert AFTER lunch.
    It's pretty important to a lot of Dominicans, my mother and quite a few other relatives do not eat rice and beans without a guineo on the side, unless, of course, sweet plantains are already part of the meal.

  4. Likes JasonD liked this post
  5. #13
    Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    2,827
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonD View Post
    Why is Guineo so important to have with lunch meal, la bandera?

    What's the tale?

    a sweet starch to go with all else. If maduros are not available then go with the banana. Not to take you off topic but there is a similar thing with Dominicans who will eat avocado every day. Of course there has to be some sort of rice also. Many Dominicans will feel empty if they can't have a piece of avocado with their meal.


    what's your thought on this?

  6. Likes Caonabo, JDJones liked this post
  7. #14
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    24,545
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Rice, beans, avocado, salad and chicken are the only must haves in my MIL's kitchen. Guineos Verde or Plantains are actually not eaten very often but judging by how many are sold on the street and at the colmadoes most Dominicans eat a lot of plantains. My inlaws dont eat salami either. My MIL cooks up Papas or yuca for us for supper to eat with avocadoes and a bit of moro and leftover chicken from lunch. Not every Dominican family eats the same.

  8. #15
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    454
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aguaita29 View Post
    It isn't SO important. Some people just pick a banana to have as a dessert AFTER lunch.
    No asking about this specific case. More so, the Banana mixed with the rice and meat as part of the meal, and not as dessert.

  9. #16
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    454
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carlos View Post
    a sweet starch to go with all else. If maduros are not available then go with the banana. Not to take you off topic but there is a similar thing with Dominicans who will eat avocado every day. Of course there has to be some sort of rice also. Many Dominicans will feel empty if they can't have a piece of avocado with their meal.


    what's your thought on this?
    No thoughts. That's just another instance and a very Dominican way to deal with Avocados as part of a daily diet. I like Guacamole instead.

  10. #17
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    454
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenmar237 View Post
    This is not only a Dominican phenomenon, it is done by Puerto Ricans as well.

    I suppose it's the combination of sweet and salty and perhaps bananas are an acceptable substitute in the absence of sweet plantains...and yeah, because it tastes delicious as someone else stated.
    Thank you. Any history, behind this?

  11. #18
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    454
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    I see it all the time in my family. I would rather eat grass than a boiled banana.
    Well, this conversation is more on the Banana side than the Plantain.

  12. #19
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    454
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    Rice, beans, avocado, salad and chicken are the only must haves in my MIL's kitchen. Guineos Verde or Plantains are actually not eaten very often but judging by how many are sold on the street and at the colmadoes most Dominicans eat a lot of plantains. My inlaws dont eat salami either. My MIL cooks up Papas or yuca for us for supper to eat with avocadoes and a bit of moro and leftover chicken from lunch. Not every Dominican family eats the same.
    Anything related to the use of Bananas with Rice, beans and Meat?

  13. #20
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    568
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    You guys need to get out more:

    La Bandera is a reference to the typical Dominican lunch, rice, beans, meat and a little salad. Un chin.

    Guineos or bananas are eaten both boiled green or raw ripe and yellow. Most people who eat boiled green bananas have them for either breakfast and/or dinner with the above mentioned foods. If any are left over from breakfast, only makes sense to throw one on the side with the Bandera. Over the years they grow on you and are better with a little olive oil and sauted red onions and vinegar. If you have a land in the campo, a very cheap source of food. Ripe bananas are generally eaten as a snack or after the meal.

  14. Likes JasonD, Caonabo liked this post
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •