Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Why is it Dominicans eat Bananas with la Bandera (Arroz, Habichuela, Carne)?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carlos View Post
    you can have the best of both worlds. I love guacamole. I also love a nice avocado with some olive oil and salt.

I am Dominican. What's your background? I rather have a piece of avocado than a banana with la bandera.

I can probably incorporate a piece of avocado into almost anything.

Try a little mayo on your avocado next time. One of my lifetime favorites.

2. Likes Caonabo, carlos liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    The secret is to eat them when they are not green.  Have you ever tasted a pastelon made with maduros?  
    That is a different thing altogether. Yes, I eat ripe bananas almost daily and I occasionally eat platano maduro in a pastelon.

I refer to green plantains and bananas which are as tasty as grass. I cannot imagine the first person that ever tried one and said "hey this is good" and recommended it to someone else.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDJones View Post
    Add two slices of bread. One slice of tomato. One slice of onion. Wash down with an ice cold Presidente.
    Lunch of Champions.

Post Thanks / Like

I will have to try that and let you know what I think.

never thought of adding mayo to an avocado before.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

The fastest way is to slice them vertically and fry them, they cook quickly and are delicious.  Sometimes we put them whole on a piece of aluminum foil and bake them in oven or on bbq. Some people add a little brown sugar sprinkled on top before baking.  I do usually spray the foil with Pam or similar to prevent sticking.  
    I slice them at an angle not too thin , then melt down some butter, brown sugar & dark rum or spiced rum then slowly cooked the plantains in that. I add some red chili flakes or cayenne pepper if I want it spicy & sweet

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

7. Likes AlterEgo liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

JD, Hellmans now makes avocado mayo, maybe coming to a store near you this decade.  I haven’t tried it, probably avocado oil only, but still, it sounds interesting..........

I was overjoyed the first time I saw Hellmanns mayo at La Sirena.  It’s the little things sometimes, lol! 

PS, yup, just the oil

7215FEB1-5E9F-4F41-ADDF-3F1AC4A83AE5.jpg

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

9. Likes Bronxboy liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

In the USA there is pretty much just one banana, the soft yellow one. I did not realize there are like 100 kinds of bananas until I visited to Rio de Janeiro. If you are not used to a humid climate, you may experience muscle cramps - eating a couple bananas will make these go away. They have a good amount of potassium. (you could also drink a gatorade i suppose).

I read somewhere that there is a disease attacking the "USA" banana variety and it's not possible to stop the attack, one day soon there will be no more of bananas of that variety.

Avocados in North America (mexico, usa for sure and probably canada) are horrible compared to DR. Here's a photo showing the difference. I recently read an article that some company developed a chemical spray to extend the lifetime of the North American avocados by about 5 days. However, I believe they will still pretty much only be useful for whackamole.

avoc.jpg

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

We could probably have a whole thread on Avocados. I love em and eat them regularly.

Give me a plate of yellow rice and beans with chicken and Avocado with mayo and I'm in heaven.

12. Likes AlterEgo, Caonabo, carlos liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

We could probably have a whole thread on Avocados. I love em and eat them regularly.

Give me a plate of yellow rice and beans with chicken and Avocado with mayo and I'm in heaven.

Our avocados are growing nicely.  Here’s a pic from last week.  If you’re out that way when they’re ready, bring a bag. Should be soon.  Ask across the street for Jillo and he’ll let you in.  

F3500D27-6686-49A2-8041-414A8F4B3231.jpeg

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

14. Likes Caonabo, carlos liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Our avocados are growing nicely.  Here’s a pic from last week.  If you’re out that way when they’re ready, bring a bag. Should be soon.  Ask across the street for Jillo and he’ll let you in.  

F3500D27-6686-49A2-8041-414A8F4B3231.jpeg

Man, look at those babies. Why not sell them to supermarkets? I used to sell mine to the neighbors and the resold them that way.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast