Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is it Dominicans eat Bananas with la Bandera (Arroz, Habichuela, Carne)?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GringoRubio View Post
    I'll keep my eye open for it, but 3 years and counting here....

Agreed. Slight exaggeration again.  Since 1975, eating in more Dominican homes than I can count, I only know one person who eats boiled bananas occasionally.  Certainly not daily.  

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JasonD View Post
    Arroz, Habichuela, Carne is the typical bandera plate in DR, most add Bananas to it; why?
    I was always told it was because they are readily available, cheap and help fill you up plus adding a little sweetness to a meal. I have been to Colombia and Peru many times, it (plantians) are pretty much a staple in home cooked meals

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dov1984 View Post
    I was always told it was because they are readily available, cheap and help fill you up plus adding a little sweetness to a meal. I have been to Colombia and Peru many times, it (plantians) are pretty much a staple in home cooked meals

Plantains, yes.  Bananas, not so much.  

I could eat maduros daily.  

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post

I meant to say Plantains I think Jason might be getting them mixed up or did I miss something???

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you cook the maduros? I have an aversion to sweet foods, and I can't figure what to do with them except to offer them up to the neighbors.

Green Plaintains and bananas are a staple in my house. boiled. testones. mango. at 5 pesos a pop, they are a cheap staple for the poor. Alone, bland, but if you mix it with chilie/garlic sauce (imported in my bag), onions, and ajo. wonderful.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GringoRubio View Post
    How do you cook the maduros? I have an aversion to sweet foods, and I can't figure what to do with them except to offer them up to the neighbors.

Green Plaintains and bananas are a staple in my house. boiled. testones. mango. at 5 pesos a pop, they are a cheap staple for the poor. Alone, bland, but if you mix it with chilie/garlic sauce (imported in my bag), onions, and ajo. wonderful.

The fastest way is to slice them vertically and fry them, they cook quickly and are delicious.  Sometimes we put them whole on a piece of aluminum foil and bake them in oven or on bbq. Some people add a little brown sugar sprinkled on top before baking.  I do usually spray the foil with Pam or similar to prevent sticking.  

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

7. Likes JDJones, bronzeallspice liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The fastest way is to slice them vertically and fry them, they cook quickly and are delicious.  Sometimes we put them whole on a piece of aluminum foil and bake them in oven or on bbq. Some people add a little brown sugar sprinkled on top before baking.  I do usually spray the foil with Pam or similar to prevent sticking.  
    Delicious is a word I never use to describe anything made with green plantains or green bananas.

9. Likes bob saunders, bienamor liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dov1984 View Post
    I meant to say Plantains I think Jason might be getting them mixed up or did I miss something???

No, nothing is mixed up. I'm talking about ripe Bananas something totally different than green Plantains or green Bananas or maduros.

Boiled Bananas, who mentioned it?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    Delicious is a word I never use to describe anything made with green plantains or green bananas.
    I can stomach them if I have some avocado with each bite. My wife says that's the way you should eat them anyways

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post

The secret is to eat them when they are not green.  Have you ever tasted a pastelon made with maduros?  

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

13. Likes JDJones, Caonabo, carlos liked this post
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast