Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need residency help

Moderator parum momenti
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott18684 View Post
    If you get denied for a visa does that mean they will deny you entry completely into the country?
    I wouldn't think so. However, once you submit all your particulars, whose to say you don't end up on a scrap of paper in somebody's desk drawer.

I’m thinking might be best to just not say anything and travel as usual.  Maybe apply after living here for five years because then the police background check would be done from here in DR showing clean record (I know there will be Interpol)
    As already pointed out, you can't get away from submitting the FBI check for immigration applications and a bunch of other processes in this country.

First step is to see if it's going to be an issue. If you can't live here, you probably can't live anywhere outside the USA worth considering. I would doubt that you will be able to live in the DR full time without residency for very much longer (relatively speaking of course).

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on your marriage and new child l have a conviction from the past and was given residency which is done on a individual basis just provide your criminal history from your home country from the police and they will decide what’s next. Remember in D.R the time of your last conviction is relevant also 10 to 20 years clean is a long time but Guzman lawyers are really good you can call or email them from my experience they always respond and will help you good luck hope all goes well.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

If you get denied for a visa does that mean they will deny you entry completely into the country?  I’m thinking might be best to just not say anything and travel as usual.  Maybe apply after living here for five years because then the police background check would be done from here in DR showing clean record (I know there will be Interpol)
    Even if you apply after living here for 5 years, you will need the police check from your home country since you will not have been in the DR legally. I have lived here for 8 years, and due to some issues with theft of my birth certificate, etc. I didn't apply for residency until last year. Whe I submitted my application, with proof that I had been in the country over 5 years, they said that I would still need a police check from Canada, since I had not been legal in the DR.

Moderator parum momenti
    Post Thanks / Like

As an aside, there is the pesky rule that you have to be legally in the DR to submit an application for residency. The exception was the regularization plan from a couple of years ago when the govt offered those illegally in the country a path to residency that didn't require them to first leave the country.

I suspect that today, there is no way around the need to exit the DR, obtain the residency visa from your home country and then return to the DR to submit your formal application within the 60-90 days (whichever it is) time frame after that visa is issued. Those entering the DR on a tourist card or other non-residency visa are precluded from applying.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12