Diesel. Regular or Premium?

Adrian

Oct 22, 2003
Any thoughts on whether it is worth the extra cost to use premium instead of regular diesel? We have the latest model Hilux.

Having looked on the web my understanding is that premium diesel is the same as regular but with some added cleaning agents. My inclination is to use premium every now and again.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Any thoughts on whether it is worth the extra cost to use premium instead of regular diesel? We have the latest model Hilux.

Having looked on the web my understanding is that premium diesel is the same as regular but with some added cleaning agents. My inclination is to use premium every now and again.

are you in the DR? if you are, i am not sure that the purported cleaning benefits actually exist.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018

In the USA, yes, in the DR; it doesn't matter as the gas quality is as bad in any octane.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I switch back and forth, and throw in an additive every 5 tanks or so. Never notice a difference.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
In other countries, I read that there isn’t enough difference to justify a higher price except for the really hi octane.

In RD , I’m not so sure...

Adrian

Oct 22, 2003
Thanks to everyone for their comments. I think I will continue to use premium every now and again.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Premium diesel has stuff taken out of it, rather than stuff added.

The main ingredient to be removed is sulphur. Common rail diesels don't like the high sulphur content in cheap diesel. It prematurely erodes the high pressure injector nozzles and components in the pump. Common rail diesel pumps generate pressures over 300 bar. That would take your finger clean off, if you put in the the way.

Don't put premium diesel in a Hilux. It's not a common rail engine. There are no benefits.

RichardDavis

Aug 31, 2018
It would be nice to see any study or a research paper about the results work of usual and premium diesel usage. Maybe, someone have read something like that?