Feedback, please!

Faught

Apr 30, 2002
So yeah, some of my friends and I have this quite possibly unrealistic fantasy to move to the Caribbean. After our quick research, the Dominican Republic looked like it might be one of the easiest places to go. So I'm coming here because we have no real idea what we're doing...

We're thinking we can go in together and rent a good sized, but nothing fancy, house. We're also thinking that our main problem will be making a
living once there. There are about eight of us, all aged 18-21, all with high school diplomas from the states and some of us part way through
college. Would it be possible for 8 English (some decent spanish) speaking young adult Americans to find work to support themselves in the Dominican Republic? Any ideas?

We know getting more education is advised, but we don't particularly want to do that. That's kind of the whole idea.

We're not looking for the best jobs in the country here, we just want to know if we would be able to find jobs (hotels seem big?) where we could make a living.

Also, we've talked to some people who suggested opening a business. Any ideas there? And please don't tell us we're stupid... we are well aware. Thanks.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
We know getting more education is advised, but we don't particularly want to do that. That's kind of the whole idea.

Also, we've talked to some people who suggested opening a business. Any ideas there? And please don't tell us we're stupid... we are well aware. Thanks.

Gee guys, if you know you are stupid, why ask us??

Come on fellows. You are just looking for a series of problems that you don't need at this point in your lives..

Please, pretty please, try and temper your vision with some reality. For example, send one of the crew here to take a look see and perhaps you will realize just how difficult things are.

Fer crissakes, the BEER company is laying off people, something that hasn't happened in ages!!...

Please do some research.

HB, Curmudgeon mode

needs_a_shave.gif

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
If the females are hot, they can make good money as strippers. I've seen lots of Canadians girls that come over for 3 months, and sometimes just for a week, all-expenses-paid to work as strippers.

I know a couple business owners that would hire a foreigner to work the beach bar if some would just stop by and ask, as they can't seem to get reliable local help, keep getting burned by quitters making false claims with the authorities about not having been paid or how long they've worked there, and the business owners have a tough time with the typical "never accept blame for anything" attitudes.

If any in the bunch are go-getters, there's plenty of work on commission selling anything from internet advertising to time-shares and real estate.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Quite honestly, Jim is right...

You can get work as one of those pesky phone callers. "Sir you have a wonderful opportunity.." they are always looking for new voices.

Since the wages are low, and you'll be living together, why not put in a "GUYS" cam operation on the Internet. For $10.00 a month anyone can watch you do whatever 8 guys do living together...

Let's see...time share sales, yes....

Oh what the hell, just do what you want, i wouldn't recomment tearing up or trading in your return tickets and 50 dollars, just in case, but you are young...

HB Not so curmudgeony today
needs_a_shave.gif