A real quick question about beaches

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Greetings to one and all.

My wife's brothers and some toddlers will be coming up here to Santiago and want to go to a beach. The wife wants "someplace not too crowded."
I know most of the area from Montecristi to Río San Juan and then Nagua to Samaná.

I would love suggestions from you all which exclude La Ensenada in Punta Rucia and Sosua and Cabarete.

Thank you kindly.

Hey, I like the new formatting here. We can do paragraphs without guessing what it will look like.

HB

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I spent last Thursday at Playa Magante. From 11:30am to 4pm the three of us were the only ones on the beach, other than about 10 Dominican kids spear fishing for a couple of hours around midday.

We used the chairs at Playa Paraíso (formerly Los Piratas, formerly Los Gringos) and used Paraiso for drinks and lunch.

Perfectly nice quiet day, though the food was only fair.

The water is shallow, providing a good wading opportunity for the kids. There was plenty of shade to avoid the worst of the sun.

cf3018272cf379182589e8044a2a2331.heic

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I guess I can tell you where not to go, avoid Playa Rio Pierda , between Gaspar Hernandez and Rio San Juan. Terrible dirty water, rough waves and stones instead of sands, the little restaurant by the road serves expensive rubbish fish and as I was walking out of water got hit by some kind of Jellyfish tentacles (I think, too dark and dirty to see what it was) on my foot that without vinegar in hand immediately burnt, and burnt all night after - two small line scars on top of my foot for a few weeks (my one and only time in DR with these nastiest, could have been something else of course).

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Come to Costambar for the day. It is a great size, large enough to have plenty of space but small enough not to be too touristy. On Sunday, it is dominated by Dominicans but on other days, it's mostly a mix of locals and expats. There are several decent restaurants in the middle of the beach, including Pascals, El Carey and Estrelle del Mar...Welcome!

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
We take the kids to the beach where Lifestyles is (Cofresi?) the waves are minimal and the water in certain spots is pretty shallow. Also if you're driving further - Diamante in Cabrera and the other near Laguna Gri Gri whose name escapes me (the one with the weird heads). Just got back from two days in Las Terrenas and highly recommend.

(YOu working this semester, I haven't seen you?)

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Coson is not crowded.

Playa rincón is a bit far maybe but excellent and the right side isn’t crowded and very safe to go into the water.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
We take the kids to the beach where Lifestyles is (Cofresi?) the waves are minimal and the water in certain spots is pretty shallow. Also if you're driving further - Diamante in Cabrera and the other near Laguna Gri Gri whose name escapes me (the one with the weird heads).
Caletón

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Lots of people Chiri.... usually popular with the local crowd and some tourists

but great shallow water for children.... like Diamante which is even shallower, I think
Diamante is empty weekdays but food is scarce

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thank you all for your kind suggestions and comments.

Much appreciated.

In today's DR1 News for Thursday, there is ahn article on fresh water swimming holes. Not all are mentioned but the article in yesterday's Diario Libre has a pretty full list.

Last night at a session of dominoes, we heard about another spot up on the Inoa river by the old power plant.

I am sure that there are many more, but a lot of them are "local knowledge" ....like one up near Guananico which involves parking and then a 40 minute hike to a miniature paradise with waterfall and pool....

Cordially,

HB