Claro does not work in Torre Alta

white light

Sep 25, 2006
I have lived in Torre Alta for 14 years and have had the service with Claro; about two years ago I started having troubles. The filters on the Internet started burning up. I had their technical department out and they couldn’t figure out the reason. This has escalated and now the filters are burning out several times a week and they cost about $900 pesos each. Two weeks ago I had the technicians out here again and they say the problem is there’s no fiber optics in this area and there is no plans to install it in Torre Alta. There recommendation was to use a different Internet service such as Orange or the other one that I’m not sure of the name of. I work using VOIP and this is a real problem as the service from orange doesn’t support it well. I have their 20 GB box and it’s OK, but it will not work with my phone. To go to their 50 GB box will cost about $7000 pesos a month. It’s still cheaper than what I’m paying with all the repairs for Claro.

Does anybody have suggestions of what service would work for me? I really do need to work and I need a phone system and Internet service that’s reliable.

Thank you,
White light

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I presume you mean Puerta Plata? Moving this to North Coast Forum. Let me know if you live elsewhere

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I have lived in Torre Alta for 14 years and have had the service with Claro; about two years ago I started having troubles. The filters on the Internet started burning up. I had their technical department out and they couldn’t figure out the reason. This has escalated and now the filters are burning out several times a week and they cost about $900 pesos each. Two weeks ago I had the technicians out here again and they say the problem is there’s no fiber optics in this area and there is no plans to install it in Torre Alta. There recommendation was to use a different Internet service such as Orange or the other one that I’m not sure of the name of. I work using VOIP and this is a real problem as the service from orange doesn’t support it well. I have their 20 GB box and it’s OK, but it will not work with my phone. To go to their 50 GB box will cost about $7000 pesos a month. It’s still cheaper than what I’m paying with all the repairs for Claro.

Does anybody have suggestions of what service would work for me? I really do need to work and I need a phone system and Internet service that’s reliable.

Thank you,
White light

Well this is very interesting to read. I'm in Puerto Plata, work from my home office, and based on some Claro technicians and the Claro website (https://www.claro.com.do/personas/servicios/servicios-hogar/internet/fibra-optica/), Torre Alta is one of the few zones where fibra should in fact be available. I have no idea if this is true or not, just what I've heard/seen. It seems that this is not the truth.. Go Claro...

I have to have even video meetings at times, and as my 20 Mbps Claro fixed line is not perfectly reliable for that, I always use my Claro mobile connection (10GB, but I purchase extra packages if needed) for those, attaching the modem directly with a good-quality USB cable to my laptop, and so far I'm having meetings without any issues.

Our Claro bill comes to about 4000 DOP monthly, but that's with the fixed internet, the mobile with monthly plan and satellite tv. So far I'm happy with this setup.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Well this is very interesting to read. I'm in Puerto Plata, work from my home office, and based on some Claro technicians and the Claro website (https://www.claro.com.do/personas/servicios/servicios-hogar/internet/fibra-optica/), Torre Alta is one of the few zones where fibra should in fact be available. I have no idea if this is true or not, just what I've heard/seen. It seems that this is not the truth.. Go Claro...

I have to have even video meetings at times, and as my 20 Mbps Claro fixed line is not perfectly reliable for that, I always use my Claro mobile connection (10GB, but I purchase extra packages if needed) for those, attaching the modem directly with a good-quality USB cable to my laptop, and so far I'm having meetings without any issues.

Our Claro bill comes to about 4000 DOP monthly, but that's with the fixed internet, the mobile with monthly plan and satellite tv. So far I'm happy with this setup.

If you are far from Central office the spped downgrade, what I must think is that Claro in your area is using less bandwidh so now you start to have problems. Try to get your own filters not the one provide by claro, here where I work the routers provide by Claro we had to get new one every 4 months, and i sugested to get diferent brand and we get Linksys router and its been 2 years and still working.

white light

Sep 25, 2006
I buy the filters from a company and not from Claro and they burn up about every three days. The complete line goes down for up to five days at a time. As I stated the technician said I would be better off with some other service because they have not put in fiber optics in this area and don’t plan on it. When you say router are you talking about the Internet box? If so where would I purchase that?

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I buy the filters from a company and not from Claro and they burn up about every three days. The complete line goes down for up to five days at a time. As I stated the technician said I would be better off with some other service because they have not put in fiber optics in this area and don’t plan on it. When you say router are you talking about the Internet box? If so where would I purchase that?

If thats the case then you should share the specifications need it by you for speed and type of conection to make you sugestions.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Use walter's new cable company ( his big building next to Banco Popular on Manolo Tavares ) I think there called Puerto Plata Telecable. Not the old Telecable POP ( that's Walters brother )

I have a 20 MB download plus my cable TV with them as well $ 2300 total pesos a month ( you can get up to 30MB ) . For sure they have service into Torre Alta probably even Fiber Optic

Claro is done in POP until they elect a new mayor...I wonder why Wink wink.