new restrictions for bringing powders into the US

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Very important information for international travelers. Thank you for observing and sharing.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
For long flights, combined with poor airline food, protein powders to be mixed with bottled water are quite handy and more nutritional. More economical than purchasing a protein bar in an airport kiosk. At least in my specific case.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
For long flights, combined with poor airline food, protein powders to be mixed with bottled water are quite handy and more nutritional. More economical than purchasing a protein bar in an airport kiosk. At least in my specific case.

You and me both. I flew multiple times a week as a road warrior, and usually had a 1 pound quart ziploc of protein powder. I thought it would be scrutinized constantly, but it was was studiously ignored by the TSA. I think it was looked at about once every 10 years and quickly set aside to find the bottle of water they were looking for.

It surprising because of all the terror attacks that used a white powder of various types for explosives.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Seems to be the US of A leading the way, and you can rest assured that RD will follow.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
You are fine aslong as it’s under 12oz of powder rest must be checked...this includes make up...

billma90

Aug 15, 2012
Toronto
the restriction regard carrying powders in hand luggage. so pack your coffee in checked bags :)

in english: https://www.travelandleisure.com/airlines-airports/tsa-restrictions-powder-security

and in local dominican media: https://www.listindiario.com/econom...evar-sustancias-en-polvo-en-equipajes-de-mano
One time i had 6 or 7 bags of coffee in my luggage, and got called downstairs to open my suitcase. They couldn't tell from the xray i guess what it was. Smelled every bag of coffee lol. This was in Puerto Plata. Since then i don't bring back any coffee, i can buy the same brand here.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
One time i had 6 or 7 bags of coffee in my luggage, and got called downstairs to open my suitcase. They couldn't tell from the xray i guess what it was. Smelled every bag of coffee lol. This was in Puerto Plata. Since then i don't bring back any coffee, i can buy the same brand here.

Same thing happened to us in April, we had 20 pounds of coffee and the rest of the suitcase was filled with different flavors of cassava, dulce de leche and guava. You can imagine the comments :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
last time i went home alone i had a suitcase filled with coffee and chocolate. easily a good 10 kg. for the first time in my life i was called in for a luggage search, very exiting. they did look at the bags and smelled them. i said they could open them if they wanted to but they were done.

in any case, i thought the articles were informative. many people traveling from DR get last few edible gifts at the very last moment and pack them wherever they can fit them.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
At least they call you down to open. Years ago someone we knew had pounds of ground coffee in their checked luggage. When they arrived home they found out that they had slashed each pack and you can imagine the mess. We bring beans back, would be a bit more manageable (plus we never have clothing in luggage)