Citizenship through Dominican husband - in US?

Daisy.Chain

Jun 26, 2018
Hello,

This is my first post. Please let me know if I am in the wrong area. I just came across this website. I am a US citizen married to a Dominican man, and we currently live in the US. We MAY move to the DR later. What are the requirements for physical location to apply for citizenship this way? I am a frequent traveler to the DR - a few appointments would be ok if I could start the process early before moving! I speak fluent Spanish and think I would probably pass any standard Dominican civics test, if needed.

Thanks in advance

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Contact the Dominican embassy or consulate closest to you. First you need to obtain residency. After six months of legal residency, you can apply for citizenship as the spouse of a Dominican. The process begins in your home country.

Daisy.Chain

Jun 26, 2018
Thanks! Although I know that it varies widely, about how long would the process take? 6 most of residency and then..

Contact the Dominican embassy or consulate closest to you. First you need to obtain residency. After six months of legal residency, you can apply for citizenship as the spouse of a Dominican. The process begins in your home country.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
There are many documents needed for citizenship and they do change all the time. Make sure you have the latest list and take them to the Ministry of Interior and Police, Naturalization section. They will eventually tell you what is missing. Be aware you need to be able to speak Spanish as there is an examination in Spanish along with an interview in Spanish.

Matilda

Daisy.Chain

Jun 26, 2018
Thanks. I do speak Spanish, fortunately.

Best-case scenario, how long would you estimate from the day we move?

There are many documents needed for citizenship and they do change all the time. Make sure you have the latest list and take them to the Ministry of Interior and Police, Naturalization section. They will eventually tell you what is missing. Be aware you need to be able to speak Spanish as there is an examination in Spanish along with an interview in Spanish.

Matilda

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Residency takes 4-6 months. You can start citizenship when you have had residency for 6 months but you need 6 months to go as well so has to be on the exact day. Atm if you have all your documents correct citizenship is taking another 6 months. Hope that helps.

Matilda