Hi, I am new here, but not new to D.R.! Have a problem!

energyrater

Jun 26, 2018
I am USA citizen and have spent much time in D.R. On my last visit a few years ago I had a problem with a landlord in who tried to scam me out of another month's rent ($800) even though I was paid up and left within my time of rental. He told me that he had filed and won a suit against me and I would be arrested and have to pay ($2000+) if I tried to re-enter the country. There was no way for me to know the court date or time or location to defend myself. I want to think he is making this up, but not so sure. I need to visit Santo Domingo and am concerned. IS there a way to find out, using my passport number or name to see if there are any charges against me before I arrive?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Welcome to DR1!

There is a "Legal" forum on here, moderated by some very fine Dominican attorneys. I would encourage you to have a quick chat with them and see what they come up with.

Odds are good the guy is just bluffing, and you are free to travel, but I would encourage you to do the call just to have peace of mind.

Either way, good luck.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I am USA citizen and have spent much time in D.R. On my last visit a few years ago I had a problem with a landlord in who tried to scam me out of another month's rent ($800) even though I was paid up and left within my time of rental. He told me that he had filed and won a suit against me and I would be arrested and have to pay ($2000+) if I tried to re-enter the country. There was no way for me to know the court date or time or location to defend myself. I want to think he is making this up, but not so sure. I need to visit Santo Domingo and am concerned. IS there a way to find out, using my passport number or name to see if there are any charges against me before I arrive?

Yes, If you have some friends here with your personal information and a lawer can ask at inmigration if you have a file with a note. About the suit if he knew how to find you you should receive some notifications about the process and you never did, so I think he is blofing.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
It is most unlikely that he did file a suit, but you could ask someone to get you a good conduct police certificate to confirm it. You can order this online if you have a cedula but if not it would have to be done at a fiscal's office.

Matilda

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Bro don't worry that is total BS ... he is bluffing....he did sh$$ there is no way he is going to spend the money on that process,,, plus you did nothing wrong,.... total BS .. enter and enjoy

energyrater

Jun 26, 2018
Welcome to DR1!

There is a "Legal" forum on here, moderated by some very fine Dominican attorneys. I would encourage you to have a quick chat with them and see what they come up with.

Odds are good the guy is just bluffing, and you are free to travel, but I would encourage you to do the call just to have peace of mind.

Either way, good luck.

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it!

energyrater

Jun 26, 2018
I am the poster of this message

Again, thank you everyone for your assistance. I look forward to hearing from legal. This has been a thorn in my side for some time. My Dominican wife is in the country now and can confirm everything I said is true, as she was there when it happened. She can visit with legal and explain and give the necessary information.

This site has been a tremendous help!

Awaiting legal's responses!

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Again, thank you everyone for your assistance. I look forward to hearing from legal. This has been a thorn in my side for some time. My Dominican wife is in the country now and can confirm everything I said is true, as she was there when it happened. She can visit with legal and explain and give the necessary information.

This site has been a tremendous help!

Awaiting legal's responses!

Bro your worrying to much the dude did nothing ... accept trying to extort money from you dont even think about it enjoy your stay.