Used unlock phone availability.

drbcabarete

Oct 21, 2005
I would like to purchase a used unlocked phone for use in the USA. Is there a shop in the Sosua/Cabarete area which may have such an item?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
If you already have a USA sim card, any phone store will have unlocked gsm phones. $10 usd and up.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...you can unlock most phones in the DR ..for a few Dollars...just add the sim card...worked for me.......Doc....

drbcabarete

Oct 21, 2005
I have had an altice/orange Samsung phone unlocked by three different technicians in Sosua/Cabarete for varying amounts of pesos. None of the three attempts were successful, even when working directly with the main store in POP of Orange, never worked. I do not have a USA sim card, figured I could buy one in US if I had a phone that would accept it and function. Thanks, will walk around town and inquire at some stores.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I have had an altice/orange Samsung phone unlocked by three different technicians in Sosua/Cabarete for varying amounts of pesos. None of the three attempts were successful, even when working directly with the main store in POP of Orange, never worked. I do not have a USA sim card, figured I could buy one in US if I had a phone that would accept it and function. Thanks, will walk around town and inquire at some stores.

it all depends on who provided service for the phones before. you can buy a phone which comes unlocked from the manufacturer. then you can also get a phone which was network locked, and unlock it. some work, some do not. get a Verizon or Cricket, or AT andT. those are easy to unlock. if you get something like Boost Mobile, forget it.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
it all depends on who provided service for the phones before. you can buy a phone which comes unlocked from the manufacturer. then you can also get a phone which was network locked, and unlock it. some work, some do not. get a Verizon or Cricket, or AT andT. those are easy to unlock. if you get something like Boost Mobile, forget it.

Yes, before you pickup a provider in USA you have to make sure that your phone has the bands to work with them. If you have an smart phone advanced like Iphones or Samsung Galaxy latest versions they can work is almost all bands arround the world.

If not first you must check the specifications of the bands using by your phone.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016

..if you go to Santigo...to the Colinas mall the guys in the hallways can do it the first try.........