Whats the best route from POP to Punta Cana

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Friends leaving POP in about a month for Punta Cana.

I don't believe there is an easy way to get there. You have to head back into Santo Domingo and then East to Punta Cana. I would not suggest trying to find shortcuts on secondary roads. You need to take autopista Duarte Rt 1 and Rt 3. It's about a six hour ride. You can find driving maps on-line. Are these people driving or taking the bus? If they have not driven in the DR I would suggest the bus as a better alternative. They will have to transfer from one bus to another in SD.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I don't believe there is an easy way to get there. You have to head back into Santo Domingo and then East to Punta Cana. I would not suggest trying to find shortcuts on secondary roads. You need to take autopista Duarte Rt 1 and Rt 3. It's about a six hour ride. You can find driving maps on-line. Are these people driving or taking the bus? If they have not driven in the DR I would suggest the bus as a better alternative. They will have to transfer from one bus to another in SD.
I also can say if they will drive better try to go Sunday that way will skip bad trafic in Santo Domingo, the JFK Av. is the most busy in Santo Domingo. Skip 7:00 am till 9:30 trafic, 12:00 m till 3:00 pm and 4:30 pm till 8:00 pm trafic

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You can also take the Toll Road just past Nagua which will leave you at SDQ airport and avoid SD completely. On a weekday this might be a better fit. To get the toll road you go towards Cabarete and just keep going until you hit Nagua, then a left at the park and follow the road to the toll road.

But going the other route on a Sunday is the best option.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Right...

to avoid Sto Dom... the Nagua route

about 3 hrs to the toll road - 1 hr more to the airport (SDQ)
then the Punta Cana leg

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You do not need exact change, as there are attendants. Not sure exactly, but about 550 rd each way.

Drive carefully as there are sharp turns at spots. Also they use radar for speeding tickets Speed limit is 80KM, Radar is usually set up near SD on a long straightaway.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Any idea of what the toll road cost and do I need exact change or are there attendants? thanks

They vary from toll booth to toll booth. Make sure you have DR pesos with you as it is the ONLY currency they will accept. All toll booths have attendants and armed police in case you want to try to skip paying. If I recall correctly from SDQ to PC there are 4 toll booths 2 at 50 pesos and 2 at 100 pesos. I wouldn't bet the farm on it as it is the DR and nothing is cast in stone.
Have a good trip.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You do not need exact change, as there are attendants. Not sure exactly, but about 550 rd each way.

Drive carefully as there are sharp turns at spots. Also they use radar for speeding tickets Speed limit is 80KM, Radar is usually set up near SD on a long straightaway.

this is correct -- and the radar boys are always in the shade

no 2000 pesos bills... use 1000 or less

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
Toll road was great, no big towns to go through, no traffic. 300 miles, 6 hours. YAHOOOOOO Oh from Jumbo in POP to Ambar Green Resort.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
If you want to avoid some tolls and save a few miles you can turn off the Nagua/Las Americas Highway before the end onto Route 4 (Carretera Mella) and rejoin the Autopista around San Pedro de Macoris. It will probably take a little longer though. Depends on your priorities.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you want to avoid some tolls and save a few miles you can turn off the Nagua/Las Americas Highway before the end onto Route 4 (Carretera Mella) and rejoin the Autopista around San Pedro de Macoris. It will probably take a little longer though. Depends on your priorities.

Not a good idea. Will add a lot of time to your trip and save you a ham sandwich in tolls.