Question About Barricade For Parking Space

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Looking to put one of these metal barricades on a parking space in an apartment building. Has anyone done one of these and how much does it cost? Thank you.

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
In this country? (Sorry. I could not help it). Maybe I’m wrong, but “here” it seems to me that if you “limit access” to anything, even your parking spot, it may not end well. Anytime I get into a situation similar to this (and there have been many), I try to get the folks together to try and “gracefully” talk about it and suggest a few solutions that everyone can agree with. An apartment? Can you get together with the other tenants and talk about “reserved spaces” for occupants or something? Another area for guest parking etc? Or…maybe you already have and it didn’t work out to well. I just have this vision of you installing one of these and then see it just smashed to bits after a few days. I have seen a few situations where someone has done something similar to protect their “space” and before you know it, 50 people are drinking beer and throwing bottles! No! Really!! LOL!!! I hope it all works out and maybe I am going overboard with this a little? I dunno. Just been here long enough to “see stuff”. Respectfully.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
That looks good and with a key is probably a better way to go.

Just curious, has the admin approved of it? Since it has to be anchored to the pavement or concrete. A parking space can listed different ways in condo docs. Do you "own" your parking space?

And the other concern I would have is somebody pulling in quickly at night and not seeing the barricade. Then you have all kinds of damage to contend with. The pavement and their car. But you could attach a couple of fiberglass poles and flags that would flip down when you flip down the barricade. Make it easier to see. Just a thought.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
In this country? (Sorry. I could not help it). Maybe I’m wrong, but “here” it seems to me that if you “limit access” to anything, even your parking spot, it may not end well. Anytime I get into a situation similar to this (and there have been many), I try to get the folks together to try and “gracefully” talk about it and suggest a few solutions that everyone can agree with. An apartment? Can you get together with the other tenants and talk about “reserved spaces” for occupants or something? Another area for guest parking etc? Or…maybe you already have and it didn’t work out to well. I just have this vision of you installing one of these and then see it just smashed to bits after a few days. I have seen a few situations where someone has done something similar to protect their “space” and before you know it, 50 people are drinking beer and throwing bottles! No! Really!! LOL!!! I hope it all works out and maybe I am going overboard with this a little? I dunno. Just been here long enough to “see stuff”. Respectfully.

It’s completely the opposite. In DR ‘acuerdos’ hardly work. You can agree , put signs , ask politely but in the end they will do as they please. The only working solution is using the barrier as OP plans , and though it might be that they just park in front of it I’ve never heard of you getting in trouble because of putting a barrier on your own spot.

Fighting with someone you just see parking in your spot is maybe less smart if you don’t know who you have in front of you.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Good luck with your barricade, I feel your pain. Dominicans normally have no respect for a personal parking space. to prove this just look around and see how many are parking across the entrance to a parking garage at someone's home. Olny thing that seems to work is paint a yellow rectangle and then paint Taxi in the middle of it. Its seems as if there is no guardian then the area is fair game for parking.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Just curious, has the admin approved of it? Since it has to be anchored to the pavement or concrete. A parking space can listed different ways in condo docs. Do you "own" your parking space?

And the other concern I would have is somebody pulling in quickly at night and not seeing the barricade. Then you have all kinds of damage to contend with. The pavement and their car. But you could attach a couple of fiberglass poles and flags that would flip down when you flip down the barricade. Make it easier to see. Just a thought.

Installed today and already working like a charm. In terms of needing some form of approval. The superficie of the parking space is listed in my title as property-so this is not part of the common areas.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Interesting. The last apartment complex I lived in had two parking spots for each apartment. In 8 years only once did somebody park in my spots, and it was to unload groceries. Parallel universe I guess.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Depends on the situation / complex. The last 6 months in DR I lived in Jardines del Embajador in SD. Excellent place but the parking is a large lot of asphalt and it’s not very clear which parking place belongs to which appartment. As a resident you know ofcourse which your spots are but visitors are supposed to park in a more remote (grass) lot and often they will just park on one of the many empty spots for residents. The guard is 50 meters away at the entrance, around a corner and won’t see or say anything.