Really ****ty DR day! UPDATE AND QUESTION

potus

Dec 27, 2015
Good day Folks,

As all that followed the thread probably knew, things came to a very quick end. I came home one day and all was gone....That was a month ago.....all gone...furniture, cash......appliances and the kids.....(two of ours and one adopted.) Following was the usual nastyness at the Fiscalia. What saved me is that the head of the Fiscalia is now a man, working with only women......He could see things clearly as they were and disaster (jail, bcs. she claims threats were made) was avoided.
It took me a couple of days to come to grips with what happend. The kids were my life so far.......when I was not working, I was with them....
Just an update on the culture here: After 13 years of having a completely free ride with me the Mother in Law ran out withour saying good bye or Gracias......Nothing. Same for adopted kid.....not a Good Luck or any word at all.......
But, one learns as going along in life......Not having the former wife arround is so amazing......I miss her like I would miss a cancer tumor.......(I am even dancing around the house full of joy....) eventhough we had some good years as well......pero pa' lante.
Only very bad thing is, they hide the kids from me....not one contact, not one call, no idea where they are........Eventhough I sent daily requests, I am not able to see the kids.

Now I am told, that in order to see the kids I have to go here: Tribunal de Niños, Niñas y Adolescentes del Distrito Judicial de Santo Domingo. My question is, is this more like a Fiscalia where everyone can just go without an attorney or is this like a court where you have to have a lawyer file a formal junction? Any experience and pointers would also be appreciated.
Reason for asking is after starting at zero and being sucked dry by attorneys for this case so far, the cash flow is a bit low atm. Thank you.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Prudent people never step into a courtroom or tribunal hearing without the best representation they can afford. These are usually one shot chances and if you don't know the law and the procedures an individual representing themselves can sink their own ship pretty easily.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I agree with Cdn Gringo. Now is the time to lawyer up. And get as much info ahead of time about this place you are meeting.
Good luck.

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014
I agree with Cdn Gringo. Now is the time to lawyer up. And get as much info ahead of time about this place you are meeting.
Good luck.

I had a meeting at that tribunal, in the provence hermanas mirabal, and i went without lawyer. I was finished in 5 minutes. The fiscal said I get to see muy son (7) every weekend from saturday 9 am to sunday 5 pm, which means he can sleep at my place every weekend. My daughter (2) i get to see 4 hours every sunday, because she needs her mother to change diapers. In school holidays i get to see my son 50% of the vacation days. If the mother doesn't comply then she is breaking law.

I gave my son a cool watch with a gps in it, and with the press of a button, i get phoned. I can also remotely eavesdrop with the app on my phone

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Your first stop is the fiscal which as jimbobo said you can do on your own. With luck it will be sorted at that stage but if not and you have to go to the tribunal for kids etc then you really need a lawyer there. I do know an official legal translator who works with Conani, based in Santo Domingo, and knows the law re kids and she would be cheaper than a lawyer (much), if you need her details let me know.

Matilda

potus

Dec 27, 2015
Your first stop is the fiscal which as jimbobo said you can do on your own. With luck it will be sorted at that stage but if not and you have to go to the tribunal for kids etc then you really need a lawyer there. I do know an official legal translator who works with Conani, based in Santo Domingo, and knows the law re kids and she would be cheaper than a lawyer (much), if you need her details let me know.

Matilda

That is great info, thanks a lot. I will get back to you if the need should arise......

potus

Dec 27, 2015
I went to the Fiscalia...it was tucked away on the "Airport Side" of the city. I used a taxi and got there right away. The initial wait was 90 mins. The initial person I saw was hard of hearing and could not see well.......It took forever for her to take down my name and Passport number. After explaining the situation they sent me to another office....here they took down my data again and gave me paper with a date to appear with the ex esposa. When I actually looked at the date, I almost fainted >>12/19/2018.....I said this is impossible. I have never been before for one day without my kids, now I have to wait until the end of the year to see them...I said this can not be possible.
I was told to wait again outside while they see if the date can be changed.
After another hour I took the audacity and asked if there is any progress. I was looked at with unwelcoming eyes for interrupting her making endless and loud calls on her cell phone.....she then stated that the Magistrada is out for Lunch and I just have to wait.
After another hour the Magistrada arrived......a well-dressed and intelligent looking person. I got my hopes up....
After a while I was called into her nice office (Amazing to me is that in these offices here the people handling the law do not have a single law book in their office. Unlike anywhere else I went on this Globe.).
I had to explain my situation again and was understood immediately.....The Magistrada then ordered a new date and reprehended the other person for giving me a date so far away. My new date is only days away........so far so good.

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014
I went to the Fiscalia...it was tucked away on the "Airport Side" of the city. I used a taxi and got there right away. The initial wait was 90 mins. The initial person I saw was hard of hearing and could not see well.......It took forever for her to take down my name and Passport number. After explaining the situation they sent me to another office....here they took down my data again and gave me paper with a date to appear with the ex esposa. When I actually looked at the date, I almost fainted >>12/19/2018.....I said this is impossible. I have never been before for one day without my kids, now I have to wait until the end of the year to see them...I said this can not be possible.
I was told to wait again outside while they see if the date can be changed.
After another hour I took the audacity and asked if there is any progress. I was looked at with unwelcoming eyes for interrupting her making endless and loud calls on her cell phone.....she then stated that the Magistrada is out for Lunch and I just have to wait.
After another hour the Magistrada arrived......a well-dressed and intelligent looking person. I got my hopes up....
After a while I was called into her nice office (Amazing to me is that in these offices here the people handling the law do not have a single law book in their office. Unlike anywhere else I went on this Globe.).
I had to explain my situation again and was understood immediately.....The Magistrada then ordered a new date and reprehended the other person for giving me a date so far away. My new date is only days away........so far so good.
I wish you the best for the coming meeting. An advice: don't give a long story to the magistrada usually they are not interested in to many detaills... you have to understand that they get a LOT of these cases on their table. Also: make sure you give the impression that your only interested in the best for your children (which should not be that hard). Don't get tempted to raise your voice against your ex. Give the impression that you're a responsable and sensible father.

At the end of hearing you and your ex, the magistrada will ask each of you what kind of arrangement you want; which days, how many hours. If I were you I would go for the standard which is EVERY weekend from sat 9 am to sun 5 pm, AND 50 % of all holidays.

I just been there a couple of weeks ago (other province though)
If you give me your emailadress i could send you a copy if you want... it's always nice to be prepared...

potus

Dec 27, 2015
I wish you the best for the coming meeting. An advice: don't give a long story to the magistrada usually they are not interested in to many detaills... you have to understand that they get a LOT of these cases on their table. Also: make sure you give the impression that your only interested in the best for your children (which should not be that hard). Don't get tempted to raise your voice against your ex. Give the impression that you're a responsable and sensible father.

At the end of hearing you and your ex, the magistrada will ask each of you what kind of arrangement you want; which days, how many hours. If I were you I would go for the standard which is EVERY weekend from sat 9 am to sun 5 pm, AND 50 % of all holidays.

I just been there a couple of weeks ago (other province though)
If you give me your emailadress i could send you a copy if you want... it's always nice to be prepared...

Great and valuable information. Thank you. PM has been sent.

potus

Dec 27, 2015
Today was my appointment at the Fiscalia. All went well as far as I can describe the Fiscal a smarter, mature lady who understood the situation at once.
Unfortunately my somewhat disturbed ex wife did not want to agree to anything. She does not want me to see the kids anymore at all. The case was transfered to the tribunal.
The only thing I got after begging for it was 3 hours on Sunday (wow!). And I am certain the crazy exwife will find excuses to not comply........
Well, one step at a time.......Next week I have to return to the Fiscalia to obtain my appointment with the Tribunal........

potus

Dec 27, 2015
I forgot, yes of course....at this stage I am lawyering up. (Too much on the line here.)

Last edited:

potus

Dec 27, 2015
Good day to All,

It has been quite an ordeal for the last 10 months. Wife has left: That is the good news. Unfortunately she took both of our kids with her.
As I learned that it is very common here, she refuses to let me see the children at all....not one meeting, not even for a minute, not one phone call....nothing at all. No contact what so ever. The Fiscalia told me I can communicate through her mother, because we have a mutual order of Alejamento (Wife and I).
I have been begging the Grandmother and the Ex wife for almost a year now....their continued answer is: NO.
I hired several Attorneys and the quest to see my children has almost become a full time job. I went countless times to the Fiscalia. We had our day in the Tribunal and I won the right to see the kids. She still says: NO. I went again to the Fiscalia and they send us to Therapy at the Office of the Primera Dama....major waste of time....she has the kids trained like Hostages (Major Stockholm Syndrom)......All she does at the Therapy sessions is screem and cry and that is it.....
One thing, she requested to have the order of Alejamento lifted so she can make an appointmernt for me to see the children when she is present......She is now learning how life is in the City without the Goose that lays the Golden Eggs. She is currently unemplyed, occupies an apartment absent of any furniture....all sleep on foam matts thrown on the floor. She is using the kids as a tool to get back in with me.
I appealed the Sentencing from the Tribunal asking for Full custody....The next appointment will be in July....it will be 13 months by then I have not seen my children (9 and 12) at all.
This is a very sad situation......

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2014
Good day to All,

It has been quite an ordeal for the last 10 months. Wife has left: That is the good news. Unfortunately she took both of our kids with her.
As I learned that it is very common here, she refuses to let me see the children at all....not one meeting, not even for a minute, not one phone call....nothing at all. No contact what so ever. The Fiscalia told me I can communicate through her mother, because we have a mutual order of Alejamento (Wife and I).
I have been begging the Grandmother and the Ex wife for almost a year now....their continued answer is: NO.
I hired several Attorneys and the quest to see my children has almost become a full time job. I went countless times to the Fiscalia. We had our day in the Tribunal and I won the right to see the kids. She still says: NO. I went again to the Fiscalia and they send us to Therapy at the Office of the Primera Dama....major waste of time....she has the kids trained like Hostages (Major Stockholm Syndrom)......All she does at the Therapy sessions is screem and cry and that is it.....
One thing, she requested to have the order of Alejamento lifted so she can make an appointmernt for me to see the children when she is present......She is now learning how life is in the City without the Goose that lays the Golden Eggs. She is currently unemplyed, occupies an apartment absent of any furniture....all sleep on foam matts thrown on the floor. She is using the kids as a tool to get back in with me.
I appealed the Sentencing from the Tribunal asking for Full custody....The next appointment will be in July....it will be 13 months by then I have not seen my children (9 and 12) at all.

My friend, I went through the same exact circumstances over 20 years ago in New York. Be patient and persistent. Things will come about. The children as they get older and wiser will realize the truth. The cliche " Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned " speaks volumes. Hang in there.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Good day to All,

How do you feel about your children sleeping on foam matts thrown on the floor? I am sure they will remember you. Good day.

potus

Dec 27, 2015
How do you feel about your children sleeping on foam matts thrown on the floor? I am sure they will remember you. Good day.

Believe me, it is not for lack of my monthly paymenbts.....I pay every single months........Problem is, Mother does not like to work and enjoys drugs with beer.......