Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Haiti Riots Over Fuel Cost Increase

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The effective prices were set to rise 49% for gas and over 50% for kerosene. This increase was mandated by the IMF in return for loans for the country's development. The World Band and IMF... overpaid government hacks trying to justify a paycheck and a huge ego imho... sigh...

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

3. Likes Cdn_Gringo liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Question

'But in other areas of the capital law enforcement seemed to be absent.'
    I have been wondering how the security forces would react, and if they could maintain security in Haiti without UN troops. I guess I have my answer.

5. Likes Russell liked this post
    Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Moderator Polls Forum

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Moderator Polls Forum

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Moderator Polls Forum

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm waiting for Aristide to make a move...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

It is never as simple as Civic Unrest and fuel hikes.
    There is invariably a hidden agenda working away in the background.
    I see nowhere that the huge rich oil companies are prepared to cut their profits enough to give relief to the population.

I witnessed this in another zone where the Oil Company had a monopoly and charged $1.21 per liter (1983) .People had no choice but to pay the price. While the oil company was paying .19 cents per liter. There was no tax on the fuel !!

We started another Oil Company with yet another Oil Giant and reduced the cost to consumer to .72 per liter.
    The profits went into the community for Micro-Credit loans and social projects. In the first year we sold 40,000,000 liters.
    Paying average .19cents per liter...you do the math.

It does not change because we think it should.
    Hispaniola ,Caribbean Islands all pay the price for the benefit of getting to work; feeding their families, and having a roof over their heads.
    It will be interesting to see who takes over the management of Venezuelan Oil Business.
    I am in no wise a person who looks for a conspiracy...I saw and was personally involved in opposing Big Oil price gouging and Political meddling all for the mighty dollar and on the backs of the hard working and already stressed people.
    Not always the head office policy; sometimes and more often than not, the Regional Distributors who do the dirty!
    There is a new book for Tim Schwartz to think about. Or Michael Moore to do a documentary.

I think I may have said enough..... Russell

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

It must be horrible to be the owner/employee of the supermarket that is shown in the beginning of this video and see it in this condition. The feeling is probably the same as when a person loses a much loved family member or a best friend. So many years of hard work in a country with very high risks of failure and then this happens, all for reasons that have nothing to do with you or your family. I wouldn’t be surprised if many and much needed Haitian business owners/job creators leave Haiti for good after this.

Moderator Polls Forum

12. Likes Russell liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I read that ex president Martelly left with his family, in a helicopter, to Barahona

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast