Haiti Riots Over Fuel Cost Increase

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
This is typical of why Haiti continues to take one step forward and two steps back.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
a travel warning for Haiti has been issued this week....

i'll try to find the article

Got it... July 6& 7
Both Canada & USA issue travel warnings on their gov't websites
Riots/protests, fires

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
a travel warning for Haiti has been issued this week....

i'll try to find the article

Got it... July 6& 7
Both Canada & USA issue travel warnings on their gov't websites
Riots/protests, fires

It also made the world news, I think it was on ABC. Not good

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
clearly, neither The Rammer or I read the link ....

We missed the sarcasm ......

Sorry Carib....

you had the scoop... first !!

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
They were listing all of the church groups stuck in the country... I think if the church groups would donate their trip money to pay for gas for Haitians, we could cut out half of the flights daily to Haiti, reducing greenhouse gasses as well.

Is the market in dajabon where they sell the stuff people donate to them, still going to be open this Friday???

(I'm a little jaded)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Fuel prices go up and people riot, burning and destroying what little they had in the first place.

Or is this just more political skullduggery, inciting rioots?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Fuel prices go up and people riot, burning and destroying what little they had in the first place.

I agree that the destruction solves nothing, but those fuel price rises, between 38 and 51%, would be met with protests anywhere in the world!

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015

At least they are trying to stand up to the government porking them in the bum,Dominicans just let the powers that be screw them over royally and do nothing about it.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
I agree that the destruction solves nothing, but those fuel price rises, between 38 and 51%, would be met with protests anywhere in the world!

Living in OKAP every month for ten days and having spent years in limited parts of Haiti, I recognize that for young males, a principal means of employment is transportation via motorcycle. The competition is fierce and the profits are thin. A gargantuan price hike such as the one required to implement under the IMF protocol (removing or curtailing the gas subsidy) means for the motorcyle fellows, ubiquitous throughout the country, NO FOOD. Not being able eat is a deal breaker for normal everyday civil behaviour. There is no choice but for civil unrest. It is a matter of live or die. And attacking "the government," that's an abstraction, so the people being attacked are monied Haitians and tourists for whom the the hike is not a big problem and who are a very small minority in the country. Also, in Haiti there are three levels of cooking. From the bottom up: 1. three rocks and wood, 2. charcoal (recho chabon), and 3. propane. For those using propane, that hike cuts into food expenses. The government should have realized in advance that the IMF requirement was not doable and they should have refused it.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It's very ironic that a few days after ex-Haitian president Henri Namphy died, Haiti breaks out once more into instability.

Henri Namphy lived in Jarabacoa. Hardly anyone knew that the ex-president of Haiti lived there until his passing late in June.

Listin Diario published several articles, including this one on July 1 (the day of his wake in Santo Domingo): https://www.listindiario.com/la-rep...y-pidio-ser-enterrado-en-republica-dominicana

The title says it all: "Henri Namphy asked to be buried in the DR, he was disgusted with Haiti"

In the article they interview some family members and friends of the late ex-president and a close friend said that once Henri arrived at the DR as an exile, he never visited Haiti. Not even at times when he was invited to attend presidential inaugurations in Port-au-Prince. He attempted to create a constitution that would conduct Haiti into developing, but instead the country adopted another constitution that made Haiti take a step back. He lamented that his country keeps going backwards while the DR rolls forward.

Seven days after he was buried at the Cristo Redentor Cemetery on the outskirts of Santo Domingo, Haiti breaks out into one more social/political crisis.

SMH

Photos of his wake at Funeraria Blandino in Santo Domingo:

henri-namphy-pidio-ser-enterrado-en-republica-dominicana.jpeg

Although not as tragic, this reminds me of Eugenio María de Hostos's wish of being buried in Santo Domingo for as long as his native Puerto Rico remains a colony. He died in 1903 and to this very day his remains rests in the National Pantheon in the Colonial Zone, waiting for the when PR breaks its colonial status. He's the only foreigners buried in the National Pantheon, which is a place reserved for the most heroic Dominicans.

Last edited:

user123

Aug 16, 2017
The fuel prices in DR will rise soon too, thanks to the stupid decision to vote against Venezuela in the Organization of American States just to please US.