Advice On Buying Property in Puerto Plata Area

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
I am looking for some advice and opinions on where people have bought their land. A little about myself; I am Canadian wife is Dominican both living here in Canada at the moment with our 2 year old, well aware of the culture the good and bad the ugly.. have been there more times then I care to count. The family is from Puerto Plata so being close is important to her, what Is important to me is having space which means a large lott with privacy and not listening to motoconchos all day or romeo santos loop playlist ;) additionally being somewhat in a rural area is desirable perhaps think close to Menos but not the Haitian side which is a near 15 mins from the city center.

Important to note; I would be working from there so having access to the best internet as possible from Claro i'm assuming is important as well ( coverage map is not too detailed ) I wanted to gather as much information as possible from hopefully other members that care to share their experiecne and the area how it is pros/ cons what they wish they did etc..

Also kind of a side step of the original question is; Menos, Although the area seems alright I was concerned about the block factory there as I have heard from a lot of people in the area that the lyme is irritating their lungs etc. let me know your thoughts, thanks in advance.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I am looking for some advice and opinions on where people have bought their land. A little about myself; I am Canadian wife is Dominican both living here in Canada at the moment with our 2 year old, well aware of the culture the good and bad the ugly.. have been there more times then I care to count. The family is from Puerto Plata so being close is important to her, what Is important to me is having space which means a large lott with privacy and not listening to motoconchos all day or romeo santos loop playlist ;) additionally being somewhat in a rural area is desirable perhaps think close to Menos but not the Haitian side which is a near 15 mins from the city center.

Important to note; I would be working from there so having access to the best internet as possible from Claro i'm assuming is important as well ( coverage map is not too detailed ) I wanted to gather as much information as possible from hopefully other members that care to share their experiecne and the area how it is pros/ cons what they wish they did etc..

Also kind of a side step of the original question is; Menos, Although the area seems alright I was concerned about the block factory there as I have heard from a lot of people in the area that the lyme is irritating their lungs etc. let me know your thoughts, thanks in advance.

Since you know the area and your wife is Dominican, there should be zero problems.
Look at developments like Star Hills near P.P.
Of course your wife being Dominican you should also be comfortable off the reservation.
There are great villas available in P.P.

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
Great thanks for sharing your experience. That's similar to what i'm looking for and am considering the gated community but learning more towards a empty lott away from any recent builds. Do you have any experience in a rural area or non-gated communties ?

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I just bought a lot up El Choco Rd just past Villas Agua Dulce,nothing but quiet,cows and chickens. It is in a new development ,small only 14 lots. I rented the only house built up there for two months and fell in love with the area. To be clear,this is not a fully gated community you might have an occasional cow come in your yard but if you want peace and quiet at a good price you should check it out. PM me if you want more info. Not the best video but it does give you an idea of the area: https://youtu.be/lpVIYgbM0dA

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Guys, I don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade... but speaking with 18 years experience living in Santiago and the north coast...

historically for foreigners who build stand alone isolated homes there are more maintenance issues, infrastructure issues (electric, water, internet), security issues, and overall peace of mind problems.

There are exceptions, naturally. Frequently the successful ones are those with the $$$ to overcome any issue. For everyone else, my advice is to tread very, very carefully.

There is much to be said for having space and few neighbors. Being independent.

There is more to be said for living in an area where you can leave your doors and windows open. Where there’s someone at the community office to chase down a water issue or fix the community generator. Where you can exit and enter your house without fear of being ambushed. Can travel out of the country and leave your car parked at home and find it there when you return. Your pool pump is still there when you get home from the grocery store. And you don’t need to wonder if the sound outside your window at 3am is a cow or a burglar and your wife lives in fear stressing your relationship.

Again. Tread carefully.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Guys, I don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade... but speaking with 18 years experience living in Santiago and the north coast...

historically for foreigners who build stand alone isolated homes there are more maintenance issues, infrastructure issues (electric, water, internet), security issues, and overall peace of mind problems.

There are exceptions, naturally. Frequently the successful ones are those with the $$$ to overcome any issue. For everyone else, my advice is to tread very, very carefully.

There is more to be said for living in an area where you can leave your doors and windows open. Where there’s someone at the community office to chase down a water issue or fix the community generator. Where you can exit and enter your house without fear of being ambushed. Can travel out of the country and leave your car parked at home and find it there when you return. Your pool pump is still there when you get home from the grocery store. And you don’t need to wonder if the sound outside your window at 3am is a cow or a burglar and your wife lives in fear stressing your relationship.

Again. Tread carefully.
Very well said.

I don't see the DR as a place where isolation is a good...or safe...thing.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I am selling a lot behind Provacon as you enter POP. It's a stone throw from the University. There are not a lot of lots left. Obviously it's not in the country but it is a quiet area.
If you have any interest at all my email is gw@witcomllc.com

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
As long as you do not think I am taking advantage of the site. I have a beautiful estate here in LaSabana, Luperon we are selling..... plan to upload it to Dr1 once I can figure out how to do so..May have to hire a GURU to do it for me.
bimco43@gmail.com

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Just to be clear,I stated that the community was not a FULLY gated community,there is 24 hour security and a HOA is in the works. But yes,if you need your hand held and are afraid to call the cable company in the event of a problem maybe it's not for you.

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
I just bought a lot up El Choco Rd just past Villas Agua Dulce,nothing but quiet,cows and chickens. It is in a new development ,small only 14 lots. I rented the only house built up there for two months and fell in love with the area. To be clear,this is not a fully gated community you might have an occasional cow come in your yard but if you want peace and quiet at a good price you should check it out. PM me if you want more info. Not the best video but it does give you an idea of the area: https://youtu.be/lpVIYgbM0dA

Location and setting looks ideal, thanks for sharing. How are you for Electricity, Internet service and what water source are you using? do you have a well or are there lines put in?

arete92

Jul 5, 2018

Again. Tread carefully.

Good points, thanks for sharing. I understand where you're coming from and would not want to be in the campo campo but kind of that 15 min drive range similar to a setting like menos or a little farther down. I understand this can be a real issue in contect of the electricity, water and internet and personally the internet one is a make it or break it for me because of my work but, do you think the issues meantioned could be mitigated with solar panel and a drilled well along with a solid perimeter around the property? that would leave only the internet issue but I would be very curious to hear back from you about the water quality( if you had your own well) in the general proxmimity you have lived. Obvioulsy being careful in this country is a must and things we do in our own country like leaving something somewhat valueable in visible view is a no no and I admit this gets tiresome guarding all possesions 24/7 I can see though by the sentiment you prefer to be in a community of some sort? Again thank you for your advice, appreciated.

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
As long as you do not think I am taking advantage of the site. I have a beautiful estate here in LaSabana, Luperon we are selling..... plan to upload it to Dr1 once I can figure out how to do so..May have to hire a GURU to do it for me.
bimco43@gmail.com

This would be a next year, if you point me to the lisitng in the future I would take a look at it. May I ask your internet quality and what you're using for water? municipal lines or drilled well and water quality if you have a drilled well, thanks

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
I am selling a lot behind Provacon as you enter POP. It's a stone throw from the University. There are not a lot of lots left. Obviously it's not in the country but it is a quiet area.
If you have any interest at all my email is gw@witcomllc.com

Do you currently have a public listing for this lot or willing to share some photos? As stated this would be next but I like that area a lot actually. Same questions though, internet quality, water municipal-lines or drilled well? thanks

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Location and setting looks ideal, thanks for sharing. How are you for Electricity, Internet service and what water source are you using? do you have a well or are there lines put in?
Electricity is individually metered by Edenorte so you pay normal rates,most gated communities sell you the power at highly inflated rates,for example Casa Linda charges 12 pesos per kwh vs. Edenorte is 6 pesos until you hit a certain amount then jumps to 9 I think. My monthly bill while I was there was a little over 4000 pesos and I ran a/c about 50% of the nights. The house was using satellite point to point system that worked flawlessly while I was there,5 mps down and up,they charge 2000 pesos a month per 5 megs,Delancer fiber is available,I'll probably go that route when I build but still undecided. The house had Delancer cable TV, HD plenty of channels,I do not know what he pays or if there are other options. The property is fed by a common well,I did not have any problems. They told me when the fourth house is built that they will add another well.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
this is the villa I rented...
qxj894.jpg

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
Electricity is individually metered by Edenorte so you pay normal rates,most gated communities sell you the power at highly inflated rates,for example Casa Linda charges 12 pesos per kwh vs. Edenorte is 6 pesos until you hit a certain amount then jumps to 9 I think. My monthly bill while I was there was a little over 4000 pesos and I ran a/c about 50% of the nights. The house was using satellite point to point system that worked flawlessly while I was there,5 mps down and up,they charge 2000 pesos a month per 5 megs,Delancer fiber is available,I'll probably go that route when I build but still undecided. The house had Delancer cable TV, HD plenty of channels,I do not know what he pays or if there are other options. The property is fed by a common well,I did not have any problems. They told me when the fourth house is built that they will add another well.

Great info thanks for sharing. As a side question.. are there any rules regarding the installation of solar panels in any of the communities you have lived? I thought I would ask while we're on the topic.. common sense would be it's your house you can do what you like, but it's the DR :)

Last edited:

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
This would be a next year, if you point me to the lisitng in the future I would take a look at it. May I ask your internet quality and what you're using for water? municipal lines or drilled well and water quality if you have a drilled well, thanks

Contact me on internet.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Great info thanks for sharing. As a side question.. are there any rules regarding the installation of solar panels in any of the communities you have lived? I thought I would ask while we're on the topic.. common sense would be it's your house you can do what you like, but it's the DR :)

I have 4000 watts of solar power and also hooked up to Edenorte ... never had any problems with them. When installed there were no issues.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017

Again. Tread carefully.

I couldn't agree more. I got stung badly on my first build here, and that was with an American Developer...the place was to be paradise and turned out to be disaster.. Buildings deteriorated and are unfit for habitation. His Salesman was a Canadian like you and me. Yes Tread Carefully... Russell