Immigration / Overstay

What do you think about the current immigration situation regarding overstayers?

• I'm annoyed. This is not fair to us that follow the legalization rules.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I'm very angry. I spent all this money legalizing and they hardly spend anything.

• I don't care. I got my residency when they were giving them away.

• I don't care. Everyone knows that Dominican laws are $electively enforced.

Votes: 10 76.9%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
What do you think about the current immigration situation regarding overstayers?

1.) I'm one of the older guys who got my residency when they were giving them
away like prizes in a CrackerJack box, so I could care less.

2.) I'm one of the guys who had to spend countless hours and a lot of back and
forth involving trips to and from my home country including exorbitant fees for airline tickets / notary services, so I'm a little annoyed at guys who choose to just pay the overstay fee upon their departure.

3.) I'm livid, I spent all this money to get legal and it makes me angry knowing these younger guys are living down here for a fraction of the costs.

4.) I do not care. I realize here in the DR all laws are $$$$electively enforced and I understand everyone's experiences may not mirror my own.

5.) Its neither my problem nor is it my responsibility to educate people with regards to Dominican law.

Poll suggested by CristoRey.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
As a Dominican citizen by birth, I happen to be more concerned of the situation some expatriates are creating to fit the molds of their own personal utopian ideologies, based largely on self-righteousness than what is truly beneficial to or for the RD.
Although I would like to contribute to the actual poll listed, none of the available options properly represent my particular perspective of the situation.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I got my citizenship way back when it was a simple process so my thoughts are just that, thoughts/opinions. IMO it is a two part problem more or less. Expats who refuse to accept that there are laws and they are subject to those laws. And the DR government not enforcing the laws consistently, and by not having a clear consistent process that does not change constantly. As long as the overstay fee process is in place I can understand why many will simply just pay the fee rather than do the legalization process.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
everybody does what they see fit to do....

I doubt anybody is angry they spent to get residency and resents other people not following suit.

very poor basis for as poll.....

how do I vote 'NO' to #'s 1 & 2

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
everybody does what they see fit to do....

I doubt anybody is angry they spent to get residency and resents other people not following suit.

very poor basis for as poll.....

how do I vote 'NO' to #'s 1 & 2

I'll take question "who do we resent?" Alex for 2,500.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
#5 - not my job to educate others... I never considered not getting residency. I planned to live here full time. I think it is very frustrating for those who are here only 3 months or half a year.... I understand. For those who live here permanently, I just hope they don't have any problems.