Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Encuentro Beach Shacks Bulldozed today in Cabarete

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Encuentro Beach Shacks Bulldozed today in Cabarete

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...noso%20vasquezhttps://www.facebook.com/maximoreyno...4870605215475/

The surf schools are gone and the rubble is being carted away. From what I can understand the minister of tourism ordered their eviction and destruction.

Question is what is next? Privatization has been the rumor for a long time.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

A very sad day. Going there to watch the surfers was really peaceful and it felt like another era. I would always bring visitors to check it out and all were blown away by its beauty and some even took surfing lessons. The police said that the beach will be open again tomorrow to the public. They said their order came from Colonel Cito, which seems his order came from the Minister of Tourism as windeguy said.

3. Likes frank12 liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

So what was the reason for the demo? Being located in the 60 mtr setback?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a rumor that a certain religious group likes the area as they like the area west of Sosua and a resort they renovated in Sosua a short time ago. I hope the rumor is just a rumor, since that spot remaining public would be great and Tom Cruz's buddies would not be a better situation.

A person collected rent for those shacks, which were illegal, so collecting the rent was also not legal. He has been in the news before, but seems to have been absent today.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ctrob View Post
    So what was the reason for the demo? Being located in the 60 mtr setback?
    I’d like to know that too. The beach on our corner started off lovely, now it’s full of shacks, mostly frituras, so less and less places to sit. We can only hope they’ll bulldoze it all, definitely in the 60 mtr setback. It’s been rumored for awhile.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    I’d like to know that too. The beach on our corner started off lovely, now it’s full of shacks, mostly frituras, so less and less places to sit. We can only hope they’ll bulldoze it all, definitely in the 60 mtr setback. It’s been rumored for awhile.
    Similar to the cleaning of Sosua beach as been a plan for a long time.

As for Encuentro, it is supposed to be open for the public as early as tomorrow.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Sosua is next..

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lifeisgreat View Post
    Sosua is next..
    Any insight on that point?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I was told encuentro was to be bull dozed in January for some reason it didn’t happen then didn’t give it much thought after ...Sosua is on list too...there is new format and perception government wants for Sosua and current nightlife ain’t on curriculum.. going to be interesting 5 yrs ...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lifeisgreat View Post
    I was told encuentro was to be bull dozed in January for some reason it didn’t happen then didn’t give it much thought after ...Sosua is on list too...there is new format and perception government wants for Sosua and current nightlife ain’t on curriculum.. going to be interesting 5 yrs ...
    Just my opinion but isn't the situation at Encuentro and Sosua entirely different. The shacks at Encuentro were on private property illegally and there are a lot more businesses at playa Sosua,I would think that there would be rioting in the streets if they bulldozed the businesses on Playa Sosua.

12. Likes drstock liked this post
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast