Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Encuentro Beach Shacks Bulldozed today in Cabarete

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

This move makes absolutely no sense to me. The surf shacks and the vitality they brought to that stretch of the beach were good for the area, good for the locals working there, and a great draw for tourists who aren't looking for just drinks and all-inclusives on the beach. And they kept that part of the beach relatively clean! It seems like if the real problem is that they were too close to the water, well, then wouldn't it be better to help them relocate across the road? If they were dismantled because they were on private land, its too bad an agreement couldn't have been reached to legalize them, pay some rent, or whatever. All seems short sighted to me!

2. Likes drstock, frank12 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tom0910 View Post
    Just my opinion but isn't the situation at Encuentro and Sosua entirely different. The shacks at Encuentro were on private property illegally and there are a lot more businesses at playa Sosua,I would think that there would be rioting in the streets if they bulldozed the businesses on Playa Sosua.
    Agreed ..but I was told they want to change things .. Encuentro was squatters , beach is public, land opposite is private ..
    Not sure how for shacks on Sosua but really doesn’t matter government does what they want when they want...

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChelseaRose View Post
    This move makes absolutely no sense to me. The surf shacks and the vitality they brought to that stretch of the beach were good for the area, good for the locals working there, and a great draw for tourists who aren't looking for just drinks and all-inclusives on the beach. And they kept that part of the beach relatively clean! It seems like if the real problem is that they were too close to the water, well, then wouldn't it be better to help them relocate across the road? If they were dismantled because they were on private land, its too bad an agreement couldn't have been reached to legalize them, pay some rent, or whatever. All seems short sighted to me!
    I suspect that your grasp of the typical dominican mindset is limited.

5. Likes windeguy liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChelseaRose View Post
    It seems like if the real problem is that they were too close to the water, well, then wouldn't it be better to help them relocate across the road? QUOTE]
    No. Since when is it the govt's responsibility to help squatters find a legal place to rent? They're squatters. Move or get moved.

Quote Originally Posted by lifeisgreat View Post
    Agreed ..but I was told they want to change things .. Encuentro was squatters , beach is public, land opposite is private ..
    Not sure how for shacks on Sosua but really doesn’t matter government does what they want when they want...
    Playa Sosua is also squatters. They will be bulldozed in due time. But Sosua is on a different schedule. When the timing is right, the private land there will be developed. That's when you'll see that pig sty village come down.

No fui yo!
    Post Thanks / Like

Today Paradise put up a parking lot. Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you lost till it's gone

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chico bill View Post
    Today Paradise put up a parking lot. Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you lost till it's gone
    Very poetic.....almost songlike.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a great shame, but I guess it's the same as what happened at Las Terrenas where they destroyed illegal bars on the beach.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

A video taken at the time of the eviction:

https://www.facebook.com/danny.zarzu...gB7WbXRGvpxy8Y

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I do feel sorry for these people, they are just trying to eek out a living for their families. And they are probably thinking that they've been there so long that no one will bother them. But things change.

And it seems with both Cab and Sosua they got plenty of advance warning.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    There is a rumor that a certain religious group likes the area as they like the area west of Sosua and a resort they renovated in Sosua a short time ago. I hope the rumor is just a rumor, since that spot remaining public would be great and Tom Cruz's buddies would not be a better situation.

A person collected rent for those shacks, which were illegal, so collecting the rent was also not legal. He has been in the news before, but seems to have been absent today.
    What resort area did they renovate in Sosua?

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast