Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving At Night

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IslandDreaming View Post
    Add that to deteriorating vision as you age
    Agreeable as most foreign visitors tend to be at a more mature age. Other factors to consider, which I do, are.....
    -poor road conditions
    -poor lighting
    -lack of emergency resources
    -lack of emergency facilities
    -weather patterns
    -intoxicated operators
    -irresponsible operators
    Other factors may be added, but combine them with operating a vehicle under the cover of darkness, and the results are not favourable to any person, much less a foreigner. It is much safer to operate said vehicle during natural daylight hours, as most Dominicans choose to do.

2. Likes RDKNIGHT liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Auryn View Post
    A sting would be smart, and at least make some sort of an example of the culprits for awhile. Stray animals are dangerous enough at night, it's really time for action against this nonsense once and for all.
    The criminal aspect is just one part of the larger equation. I believe the other items to be higher risk factors for a vehicle operator driving at night. This is just one more unnecessary hazard.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKY View Post
    If they tried this crap with me we would not need a sting. A few more notches on my Glock would be added.
    Lady Luck only dances with you so many times before she gets tired of the same ballad. Take the law into your own hands, and it may not always turn out in your favour.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caonabo View Post
    As a practice, I myself typically try to avoid night driving at all costs regardless of where I happen to be in the world.
    My practice is to drive in Canada day and night and to never drive at any time in the rest of the world. Actually, driving in the US can be safe if you pick the right spots.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZC1 View Post
    Why don't the police patrol the highway and arrest or at the very least disburse any individuals lurking?
    because they are the ones organizing the benefit

7. Likes RDKNIGHT, pelaut liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

The police chief has said that he will deal with/stop the rock throwers.

Stay tuned.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Years ago driving at night in the Bavaro/PC area was not a problem. There have been a few reports of the criminals trying to get you to stop but I believe the culprits involved were either run over or shot. Depends on which level of police you know that will talk.

The problem now is traffic. At night my guess is 70 to 80% of the drivers are drunk and the other 20 to 30% have no idea how to drive, even in the daylight. Besides who needs to go to over priced restaurants and bars with horrible service.

10. Likes pelaut, Peterj liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The stretch in question in Las Americas HWY from the airport exit to SDQ has no street lights at night and its very dark. Going the other way towards Boca Chica, the motorcycles , pedestrian and buses are insane until one goes beyond Boca Chica.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a bit extreme to say not drive at night in this whole Country.

We do it all the time for long distances often. It’s not for everyone but it is not THAT scary imo. The roads have drastically improved at night in the last 5.5 years I have lived here. More reflectors, lights, lines on road, less potholes etc...I also think less motos with no lights. I also love that the real drunks put their hazards on!!

You have to watch out for that same trick in other areas in the daytime or night.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing you well View Post
    The stretch in question in Las Americas HWY from the airport exit to SDQ has no street lights at night and its very dark. Going the other way towards Boca Chica, the motorcycles , pedestrian and buses are insane until one goes beyond Boca Chica.
    …..and then you once again enter no street lights at night and it's very dark.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast