Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving At Night

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harleysrock View Post
    That is a bit extreme to say not drive at night in this whole Country.

We do it all the time for long distances often. It’s not for everyone but it is not THAT scary imo. The roads have drastically improved at night in the last 5.5 years I have lived here. More reflectors, lights, lines on road, less potholes etc...I also think less motos with no lights. I also love that the real drunks put their hazards on!!

You have to watch out for that same trick in other areas in the daytime or night.
    It is not extreme. It is reality. It is not advisable for foreigners to do what even Dominicans themselves will not do.....in regards to night time operation of a vehicle.

2. Likes RDKNIGHT, jd426, cobraboy liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harleysrock View Post
    That is a bit extreme to say not drive at night in this whole Country.

We do it all the time for long distances often. It’s not for everyone but it is not THAT scary imo. The roads have drastically improved at night in the last 5.5 years I have lived here. More reflectors, lights, lines on road, less potholes etc...I also think less motos with no lights. I also love that the real drunks put their hazards on!!

You have to watch out for that same trick in other areas in the daytime or night.
    Most accidents happen at night, and most of them involve alcohol.

4. Likes Caonabo, RDKNIGHT liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jahjahwarrior View Post
    I drive here at night all of the time... But I avoid the capital like the plague.

Why come to paradise only to travel to hell?
    if you have to come to the capital the best day to come is sunday no traffic.... than get the hell out ...

6. Likes Caonabo liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    maybe this would be the right time for a sting operation, and to kill a few of these fools. bad news travels fast. their friends might turn to a different occupation.
    Exactly. If everyone knows there is a problem than it should be fairly simple to solve it. Perhaps putting up cameras would also be a deterrent to those who want to commit crimes.

8. Likes acmike liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

The level of.....incompetence (that's a polite word) driving int he DR is off the charts. Driving at night just multiplies it by 10.

Pretty sure I've told this story, but one night between Cab and Sosua I see some very dim blinking lites high up in the trees, futher ahead.
    Start slowing down not knowing what it was, and I come up on a stalled box truck in my lane, no lights or reflectors and one of those new Safety Police trucks (mooppssa or something like that). The "Safety" guy had all his lights flashing, but he was parked in front of the box truck! Idiot.

If I hadn't been paying attention, I would have slammed into the back of the box truck at 60.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caonabo View Post
    …..and then you once again enter no street lights at night and it's very dark.
    If there is a question, observation or point therein, I truly missed it?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Night driving here is tiring but not something I'm terribly afraid of. I have driven almost every area of the country at night and multiple times. One day I took off from the Capital at around 6pm and drove to a place close to Pedernales called Juancho to pick up some items we needed in Punta Cana, then drove straight through to Punta Cana, dropped off the items and then back to the Capital arriving around 2:30am. No problems other then the normal bright lights in the eyes, cars and motos with no tail lights and people running out in the middle of the street. Typical day of driving in the DR. I love this place!!!!

12. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blueceo View Post
    Night driving here is tiring but not something I'm terribly afraid of. I have driven almost every area of the country at night and multiple times. One day I took off from the Capital at around 6pm and drove to a place close to Pedernales called Juancho to pick up some items we needed in Punta Cana, then drove straight through to Punta Cana, dropped off the items and then back to the Capital arriving around 2:30am. No problems other then the normal bright lights in the eyes, cars and motos with no tail lights and people running out in the middle of the street. Typical day of driving in the DR. I love this place!!!!
    I think it depends a lot upon what area you’re in. Some places are notorious for the rock scheme. We had that happen to us returning from Samana through Sanchez - in the middle of the afternoon.

We live west of San Cristobal and spend a lot of time in Southwest DR. Never an issue, but that could change tomorrow

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

14. Likes Caonabo, Harleysrock liked this post
    Moderator parum momenti
    Post Thanks / Like

AE, that's the point. Driving is a risk. Driving at night a greater risk. As long as the driver accepts the premise, it doesn't matter how many times they have gone from A to B, one of these times, they will not make it without incident. The likelihood of an incident is greater at night but not exclusive to the darkness. If you play the lottery everyday forever, you will eventually be a winner it's just that no one can say when that will be, sooner or later.

16. Likes Caonabo liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZC1 View Post
    Why don't the police patrol the highway and arrest or at the very least disburse any individuals lurking?
    Because then they wouldn't get their cut.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast