Dominican political party from the eyes of AZB. (long)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Here is a peek into the Dominican political parties from the eyes of AZB.
Being a foreigner in this country I tend to stay away from the political climate, which is ever so increasingly affecting the lives of Dominicans. It seems as if everyone is involved in their political parties and doing whatever to push their candidate to win. Naturally I was thinking, what these ordinary people have to win even if their candidate wins? What the hell they would gain? Why would a politician would spend hundreds of thousands of pesos (if not millions) to fight for a job that only pays 60k a month? Why do folks (here) are so loyal to their parties when there is so little to go around for everyone?

Well, here is what I am being exposed to lately:
It all started out as fun when I let a deputado (congressman) candidate friend put his campaign sticker on my car?s bumper. I thought nothing of it and kept socializing with my friends in a bar, until my best friend came in with 12 o clock on his face. He seemed very upset and furious. He pulled me outside and asked me to pull off the PLD sticker from my car right away. I was a bit confused at his reaction but I complied. He then asked me to not get involved in PLD party as he is a very strong supporter of the PRD party (the current governing party). I tried to explain to him that I belong to no party and can care less who wins. Well, that was the turning point of my knowledge to the Dominicans political parties.

This friend of mine asked me to join in the campaign efforts for his PRD senator?s candidate. At first I tried to tell him that I am not useful since I can?t even vote etc but he kept insisting that I should join in with him. So I agreed to play along with him and expose myself to the inner circle of the Santiago PRD party.

At first I started out at the chopo level politics. They invited me to join in the street campaign for the candidate which included a car caravan of the candidate, handing out posters, flags, stickers etc but in reality we were just making a lot of noise in public. I really didn?t go along with this non-sense so to attract my attention they upgraded me to attend small parties in discos / bars for the young crowd to win their vote. This was fun as the drinks were free and I got to rub shoulders with young university girls all over Santiago. This led me to the next stage: the upper class strong-hold circle. Lately I have been invited, by my friend, to attend parties in classy restaurants (with suit & tie) and actually get to socialize with the big shots.

Let me tell you how it goes from little that I have seen. The big shots of Santiago of the PRD party gather in expensive restaurants and spend thousands of pesos worth of party for rich businessmen and politicians. They all come in late model Mercedes but most come in late model SUVs with their personal body guards (so AZB parks his old Toyota far away from anyone?s eyes). The crowd ranges from newly rich chopos to wealthy stylish politicians. They come in with their entourage and greet each other like Italian mobsters. The drinks served are all top notch, black label to expensive wines. The food is usually seafood type appetizers. All the rich and powerful get together for media shoot and then sit down (away from everyone) to discuss their campaign strategy. Decisions are made and people are chosen to get the job done. Everyone has their interest and everyone gets to keep a small portion of the pie while the head honchos get the biggest bite. The big fish include, the governor, senator, mayor etc. These guys spend money from their own pocket and partly from the party that they serve to promote themselves. These guys spend hundreds of thousands of pesos in posters and stickers which you see all over the city. Large billboard advertisement costs thousands of pesos per pop but you see them all over the city. These candidates offer free parties to university student to win their vote. They usually throw parties in bars and discos and offer an open bars to everyone. You get to drink for free if you wear the candidate?s T-shirt. Free T shirt and free booze?.seems like a win win type situation. Now as the election date is nearing, the few chosen candidates are really flowing the money into the public.

So what do you get in return for the efforts that you put in?
It?s like a secret society but only when your party is in power you win everything.
Let me give you what I can get for participating in the campaign: I am offered to buy a brand new apartment (3 bedrooms) in a decent neighborhood at (like TW says) ?dead meat? prices. I will pay only half of the cost of the original value and when I deposit 50K as a down payment the government will throw in 100 k pesos (free) towards my down payment. Now this alone got my attention in a new york second. The customs chief of the north coast insisted that I should always call him when I come into the country. I will be received as a VIP and no one will touch my baggage. The newly, soon to be chosen, ambassador from DR to who knows where is a personal friend of mine. He has offered me free plane ticket to where ever he will be posted and offered girls and free stay at his residence. Can you ask for more? The police coronal has given me his signed card and assured me that I will never touch the floor of any jail as long as I don?t get myself into any serious trouble. This mean any police man off the street cannot touch me for any small reason. AMET coronal is a personal friend of mine, so good bye to all the traffic violation tickets. I can get a dominical passport just for the asking. If I have any legal matters to be solved, all I do is make a phone call.

Just imagine, I am a foreigner and I can get all these benefits imagine when you are one of the big shots in the party? You get to live a life of a royalty. These senators, governors have operating budget of millions of pesos annually which they spent without reporting to anyone. No wonder they always drive the most expensive SUVs and Mercedes that money can buy. They live in mansions which they have bought for peanuts in prime neighborhoods. They get top notch medical care for themselves and for their families and fly all over the world for free. They spend their holidays in the most expensive hotels in DR and pay nothing form their own pockets. The PRD supporting construction companies and engineers get the prime contracts and make millions. Many officials get promoted to important positions and make big buck for not even being in the office. I can go on and on.

If you like to join the party you may have to start from the bottom, if you are not connected. I met a dentist who left her clinic to work full time with the governor for mere 7k pesos / month (about 300 plus dollars); mind you she is from a wealthy family herself so 7k pesos / month means nothing to her. All she wants to do is to get into the political circle.

There is so much to write but, unfortunately, I have to work L

Remember, if you think all Dominicans are poor, think again. I have seen and met Dominicans who can buy a whole airlines with cash money.
Cheers

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
You are welcome shadley. I will post more on the upcoming elections and how the things turn out to be for the PRD if you folks are interested. It would be a very interesting post to read if the PRD wins the elections. I would like to see what type of a celebration I would be invited to? I will write all the latest gossips and what goes on behind closed doors (if I can get it).
Cheers

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
TW had written something similar regarding the privileges these political pundits get to enjoy, now I am seeing it with my own eyes. If you folks want to learn more about what goes on inside the power circle of DR, ask TW to post his inside info. The man is right on the money.

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
AZB,

you are very courageous to share this
with us. I always kind of knew that this is
the modus operandi in the 3rd world politics
and if you really think about it in the whole
world.(Mullas in Iran,Sheiks in Saudy Arabia,
Sharif in Pakistan,Bush clan in USA,Pope in
Vatican.... etc etc)
This is reality and either you go along or you
say: All you movers and shakers kiss my ass I have
fun on my own in my old TOYOTA.

Ciudate amigo X.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
X man you got that right. This is the way things get done here. Either you are with them or you are with the poors. As long as the PRD is in power, I am with them all the way. hehehehehe

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Great Post

Great post AZB, this is how all the things in most Latin American countries work.

How can I get on the gravy train?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
[B]AZB[/B] said:
...like Italian mobsters.
That is exactly what they are. Obviously none of that is new to me. But as I posted in another thread "Integrity is difficult to maintain and is often an extremely unpopular choice". He who profits from the thieves' deeds is somewhat guilty of the crime.
robber.gif
Just my humble, unrequested opinion.

Pib
Sometimes too prudish for her own good.

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
Great post - AZB!

AZB it sounds like you are connected. I got a big laugh when I read that the PRD policiticans greeted each other like big mobsters. Ha, still laughing at that one. Hey, if you are connected with Hillbilly, you are "really connected." Again, great post - it was very informative and well written. Maybe I will make it up that way next week.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Hillbilly, the man to know in santiago

Kingofdice, Santiago is the place, come!!!!'
I have met Hillbilly last night (for the first time) but only for a few minutes. We met to have Robert (DR1) handed over to me for the night (hehehe). I seems Robert had spent the whole day with hillbilly taking about ancient religions and 20th century Dominican history; after that, I had a tough time getting him out of the disco / dance club.
As we speak, they are all on their way to enjoy a fun full day at montecriste. Too bad I have to work (rats), i wanted to meet PIB (stick a sad face here).
Hillbilly has a very strong presence and seems like a walking encyclopedia (face grimacing with wisdom). A fine gentleman. I am sure he is not only connected with the santiagueros but probably connect with god by now.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Dirty warfare in campaign.

If you go around Santiago, you will see quite a few large posters with black paint painted over the candidate?s faces. This is a dirty war amongst the political party organizers. What the rival party does is to hire "tigres" (street hoodlums) and pay them money to destroy the other opponent?s posters. This arrangement is made in utmost secrecy so no one would be able to point a finger at who was responsible for hiring the tigres. You will see many poster pictures with teeth blacked out so it would seem as though the candidate is missing frontal teeth. Sometimes they will draw beard and mustache to disfigure the image. Lately I have been seeing them to simply take a big black paintbrush and simply paint it over the face.

This dirty warfare has wasted thousands of precious campaign money as each large billboard can cost thousands of pesos a piece.

I remember when my friend was doing an open bar party for some college students in front of UTESA university, the congressman candidate (from the opposing party) showed up to literally pick a fight with my friend. He claimed that my friend had hired tigres to waste his campaign billboards. The situation was later contained, as the both sides were equipped with armed bodyguards and ready to slug it out. I was a bit shocked at first because I was sure someone was about to get shot, but they all laughingly convinced me that it was politics as usual in DR.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dominican Politics is a very dangerous "Game"!

"AZB",as you should know dominicans take their "Politics" very seriously!Just ask your PRD Santiago Senator Dario Gomez.Oh,! you can,t! He was shot to death in his Santiago home not long ago,remember? It is not just painting over campaign posters that is going on,it includes political assasinations,and beatings!Please read the Daily News article on DR1 today regarding police corruption,very interesting,and sad!So you want to play the "PRD" political game do you?Then maybe you should not be so fast to enjoy the parties,benefits,and "secrets",and then "Kiss-and-Tell" here on DR1. Always remember,if you weren,t born and raised in the Dominican Republic,you will never dance a good merengue,or understand Dominican Politics!Be careful,I,ll bet at least one person in the PRD knows how to use a computer,.................on second thought,don,t worry!! CCriss ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Last edited:

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
AZB

I hate to say it AZB, but I think CC is right... you could get yourself in a heap of trouble posting this stuff..

It does make great reading though... Some of the most interesting stuff posted here in a while...

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Criss may have a point but I am not disclosing any secrets here nor names of the candidates. This info is common knowledge to all the dominicans, only we foreigners find it rare. Ask any dominican and he will even spill out the names and people behind all the dirty games. TW was the first one to give out the inside info.
What I am telling you is just chicken sh** compared to what they actually disclose on national TV. These restaurant political gatherings are open to the media and are always covered in great details.