Where am I ever going to find a machete in Canada?

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
So...after living here in Canada for quite some time, Mr. Jelly has decided that he absolutely must have a dominican style machete for yard work. While I do think we have other tools that can do the same job, I have learned, like any good wife, to pick my battles. We found one online and ordered it with expected delivery this week. Yesterday, however, we were notified that Canadian Customs had denied it entry (coming from the US) due to it being "a weapon". So, back to the supplier it went.

Mr. Jelly still wants a dominican style machete. We live in rural Nova Scotia. I have absolutely no idea where to look. Any ideas??

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
So...after living here in Canada for quite some time, Mr. Jelly has decided that he absolutely must have a dominican style machete for yard work. While I do think we have other tools that can do the same job, I have learned, like any good wife, to pick my battles. We found one online and ordered it with expected delivery this week. Yesterday, however, we were notified that Canadian Customs had denied it entry (coming from the US) due to it being "a weapon". So, back to the supplier it went.

Mr. Jelly still wants a dominican style machete. We live in rural Nova Scotia. I have absolutely no idea where to look. Any ideas??

I went on-line and in about 2 minutes found a place in British Columbia that sells them.

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
Helpful, as always. I have done the google search, of course. None that we've been able to find that fit the large, dominican style which he is looking for.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Youngest mobster worked for Canadian Tire 2years ago. Machetes are kept locked up but definitely available. Probably 18" blade. Not big enough enough?

:classic:. mob

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I am in rural Nova Scotia as well; and have purchased a machete at Canadian Tire store , also Home Hardware.
DEpending where you are from I am returning to Yarmouth on 28 JUly and can bring one with me.

Your Call....... no different than a hand saw.
A golf club is a weapon if used in a crime , so is a frying pan!! lol

Russell

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Ontarioknife.com Ontario knife company makes some of the best machetes. If you buy something at a big box store from China, after one or two swings at an oak tree, your blade will be bent or dull.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
People, people~~~

Pay me some attention. I do believe that there is some "cultural and language interference" going on here.

That blade shown above might be called a "machete" in Canada, but not in the DR.

In the DR, the English language machete is calle a " Colín" and is made by the COLLINS Co. out of Hartford, Conn. At least it was many years ago. Today Collins makes a lot of its working blades in Colombia. They are outstanding tools.

Now then. In Dominican context the "machete" is a very broad blade that is often used as a spade to dig up tubers and for planting things like potatoes, yucca, and batatas. The Colín is used for trimming banana and plantain trees and removing the suckers (hijos) It is used to cut grass. It is used to fell small trees and brush. The machete is one unwieldy tool for the novice.

I have never seen this tool in the Home Depot. I will take a look around and see if I can find one on line.

Ask hubby this question: Do you want a colín or a machete and see what he ways. Okay?

HB

Note: "colín" is pronounced coal lean, close to Coleen...ie, the Dominican spanish version of Collins

I found this: This is a COLÍN:https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-WW...em3b14569db4:g:WlgAAOSwsXFbRU4T&_fsrp=1&rt=nc

Now THIS is more like a "machete" in the DR, minus the hook (except in the cane fields and minus the hand guard. https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-Woodm...m=163146617974&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Last edited:

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
El colin is what the macheteros use, and that is probably what the poster means. El machete is what the jardineros use for chopping the lawns and stuff like that, a broader blade.
The one on the picture is a parang. I posted it just as an example that machetes in general are available. Even in Europe with their nasty laws you get colines, machetes, parangs, bolo's, kukri's etc etc.

Sep 4, 2012
THIS IS WHAT DOMINICANS CALL A MACHETE: https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-732081144-machete-collins-co-_JM

They are available at every hardware store in the country. Maybe not one made by Collins but same thing.

Be well. Hope this is useful

HB the researcher

HB,

Loved your research and accurate explanation of the Collins Co and the adaptation of it to Colin in the DR.

The link and picture above as far as I know is called "Mocha" and not Machete in Dominican street slang?

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
People, people~~~

Pay me some attention. I do believe that there is some "cultural and language interference" going on here.

That blade shown above might be called a "machete" in Canada, but not in the DR.

In the DR, the English language machete is calle a " Colín" and is made by the COLLINS Co. out of Hartford, Conn. At least it was many years ago. Today Collins makes a lot of its working blades in Colombia. They are outstanding tools.

Now then. In Dominican context the "machete" is a very broad blade that is often used as a spade to dig up tubers and for planting things like potatoes, yucca, and batatas. The Colín is used for trimming banana and plantain trees and removing the suckers (hijos) It is used to cut grass. It is used to fell small trees and brush. The machete is one unwieldy tool for the novice.

I have never seen this tool in the Home Depot. I will take a look around and see if I can find one on line.

Ask hubby this question: Do you want a colín or a machete and see what he ways. Okay?

HB

Note: "colín" is pronounced coal lean, close to Coleen...ie, the Dominican spanish version of Collins

I found this: This is a COLÍN:https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-WW...em3b14569db4:g:WlgAAOSwsXFbRU4T&_fsrp=1&rt=nc

Now THIS is more like a "machete" in the DR, minus the hook (except in the cane fields and minus the hand guard. https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-Woodm...m=163146617974&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Excellent points taken...Nothing like a shot of education ; even ay my advanced age.... can't wait to talk to my Gardener.
Russell

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Holy cow, Fulano!! I was going to do just that very same thing!! There is a guy cleaning a yucca patch in front of my house right this minute. Your post and my second post have it right.

The Mocha is, I believe, what is used to cut cane.

Now the OP can get the right tool for hubby.

HB