LADIES ONLY: Number 2

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Dominican Republic has the two highest mountains in the Caribbean.

Pico Duarte
Pico Duarte is the highest peak in the Caribbean. The 10,164 ft high mountain is located in the Cordillera Central range. The mountain was first successfully summited in 1851. A system of trails leads to the top of and pine forests cover large parts of Pico Duarte’s slopes and shrubs grow as undercover in these pine forests. A number of rare bird species like the Antillean siskin, Hispaniolan crossbill, Hispaniolan amazon, golden swallow are found here. Endangered and endemic mammals, such as the Hispaniolan hutia and the Hispaniolan solenodon, can also be spotted in the forests in this mountain region.

Loma Alto de la Bandera
Loma Alto de la Bandera is a 9,324 ft tall mountain located in the Dominican Republic and is the second tallest mountain in the Caribbean. The mountain is located within the limits of Valle Nuevo National Park. Loma Alto de la Bandera was mapped and measured between 1916 and 1924. Its summit is riddled with telecommunication towers, including those which serve the country’s international airport.

Any more number two?

Matilda

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Two gold mines? The big Pueblo Nuevo in Cotui, and I believe another in Azua that hasn’t been developed? Are there more?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Correct re only two metal mines - not sure if both gold though. The other one is also in the Cibao according to this article. https://www.eldinero.com.do/35465/republica-dominicana-tiene-mineria-en-24-provincias/. I didn't realise that Barrick Gold in Cotui is the biggest gold mine in Latin America, nor that there was so much mining in the country - in 26 provinces - for different things. (We can use that for number 26!).

If I’m not mistaken, biggest in Americas and 2nd largest in the world. The WORLD. And what does DR earn from it? 3%.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Hispaniola is only one of two caribbean islands with two countries, St Martin also has 2.