Moving Household Goods

MikeKO

Apr 12, 2002
I'm trying to decide what household goods to bring with me, and who's the best company to use. We're planning on renting for the forseeable future.

1. Should I bring a full set of appliances (refridgerator, washer, dryer, etc)?

2. Furniture. Should I bring run of the mill furntiture, or just buy locally?

3. Does anyone have experience with the various moving companies / relocation services (good or bad) that they could share?

Thanks
Mike

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Could you please fill us in with a bit more detail? Where are you moving from? Do you already have the things you are thinking about moving or would you buy them specifically to bring? Are you single? Where are you moving to?

Note that any "normal" appliances are available here. Your beloved trash compacter and bread maker may be difficult to find, but a name-brand washer, dryer, fridge, microwave and inverter are no problem and come with warranties. They are more expensive than in the US, but not ridiculously so.

I have had difficulty finding quality furniture at reasonable prices here. Especially "stuffed" furniture like sofas and recliners. One's definition of quality can drastically change that equation. Hopefully, someone will chime in later on this board and let you know about locally made stuff and perhaps provide another perspective to my thoughts and experience.

There is a service called Expat Relocation Service located on Romulo Betancourt, I think.

MikeKO

Apr 12, 2002
Not in order of questions:

1. Moving to: I think North Coast, but won't decide for sure until sometime in mid summer (exploaratory trip scheduled). I will start the paper work for residency at that time.

2. I'm planning on takeing my "significant other", but I'm having some trouble with that. Regardless, I'm going.

3. I'm moving from California. I have a full set of stuff, but moving household goods is not cheap. If good deals can be had locally, it could make more sense just to get new.

The comment about stuffed furntiture is the type of thing that I was really looking for. Its the type of information that could be hard to get in a flying trip. As to the more expensive, I had heard that, and that is really the reason I was asking the question.

I've found net references for about 3 different relocation services, but I'm pretty sure that they are not all created equal. Anyway, I'll keep poking around. Again thanks for the info.

Mike