Water Filter For City Water....

drislandlife

Jul 4, 2018
Does anyone know of a water filter or system (not a full system just a simple one for 1 sink) that will filter the water coming from the city water supply in DR and make it safe and clean enough to drink coming straight from the tap? Thanks in advance!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
For water that is deemed "microbial safe to drink" a simple reverse osmosis filter with a charcoal post filter is sufficient to remove particulates in the water. In places where "safe to drink" is a subjective term, then reverse osmosis that incorporates UV light should be used.

Attach to the faucet or pitcher filters such as Brita brand are usually just charcoal filters that work on taste alone.

If you want to be able to drink tap water in a developing country and have any reason to believe the water being supplied by the plumbing is in anyway suspect, you'll want to go big or stick to bottled water. People can get very sick and sometimes die from water born disease. Significant contamination of the supply only has to happen once for tragedy to strike.

There are past threads on DR1 about water filters. Search amazon.com for "water filter" and get an idea of what might be right for your circumstances. There has to be water filter companies in SD. Knowing what you may want in advance can make suffering the up-sale pitch a bit shorter and more endurable. Just buying something off the shelf to attach to your kitchen faucet may be a bit of a risky challenge.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Does anyone know of a water filter or system (not a full system just a simple one for 1 sink) that will filter the water coming from the city water supply in DR and make it safe and clean enough to drink coming straight from the tap? Thanks in advance!

This is difficult to answer without knowing what "City" water supply you are talking about. Unfortunately, all city water supplies here are not operated the same nor do they have the same water source.

If you are on the north coast, there are biological concerns (Bacteria) so a simple filter will not cut it without using something to that will kill the bacteria. I recommend a cheap easy to use silver impregnated terracotta pitchers that are available locally to insure your drinking water is bacteria free. Then you just install a single 10" carbon block filter on the cold side of the kitchen sink and you're good to go.

Reverse Osmosis (RO) "Membrane systems" are great, but they are used for high TDS (minerals) from the water and not bacteria. The small house systems only recover 20-30% as permeate, so you waste 3-4 gallons down the drain to make one. The permeate (good water) is stored in a small 1.2 gallon pressure tank under the sink too, so they take up space. If you don't need one. don't buy one. UV lights for homeowners I also don't recommend because they need to be properly maintained to be effective. These are industry standard rules and not mine.

Best way to treat home water is keeping it cheap and simple. Just depends on where you're at and what the problems are. You can buy the carbon block filters everywhere, and the silver impregnated terracotta pitchers are available on island and are quite popular. Just ask around.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Sorry Pal I would not drink the tap water no matter what type of filter anyone recommends.....stick with bottle water.....I have a friend that use the tap water for cooking after he boils it...he told me he has yet to get sick ... i guess that kill everything...

Remember your not in Kansas anymore,,, stay safe dont drink the water

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Sorry Pal I would not drink the tap water no matter what type of filter anyone recommends.....stick with bottle water.....I have a friend that use the tap water for cooking after he boils it...he told me he has yet to get sick ... i guess that kill everything...

Remember your not in Kansas anymore,,, stay safe dont drink the water

Just so you're aware, the locally made "bottled water" is filtered tap water with UV and ozone added during bottling. Knowing how maintenance around the DR is normally performed, I personally don't have much faith that the bottled water companies do any better and prefer to treat my own water. Bottled water is a little like playing Russian roulette. You have no clue what's inside that bottle. I like the "Remember you're not in Kansas anymore" remark. Think about it!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
adding to that.....

ever see the truck on the street that passes by refilling the 5 gal jugs.....??
wonder where they get their water and how it's 'sanitized' ...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
adding to that.....

ever see the truck on the street that passes by refilling the 5 gal jugs.....??
wonder where they get their water and how it's 'sanitized' ...

Well , in Jarabacoa some get it from an well on the grounds of the catholic mission , an Artesian well that has been used in Jarabacoa for 50 years plus.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
If there was a simple solution every home in the DR would have one.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
An alternative is a small mission-specific pump that takes water from those 5g jugs to a spigot on your sink.

We installed one that feeds the icemaker and supplies bottled water to the kitchen sink.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Even developed countries from time to time have difficulty delivering safe drinking water to some customers. Here in the DR it is a function of risk mitigation. I have placed my faith in a single bottled water supplier and maintain a stock of 20 or so bottles all the time. We use that for everything that results in consumption - cooking, drinking, brushing our teeth, ice maker etc. We have an under the counter osmosis setup for the dog's drinking water, washing dishes, wiping down kitchen counters etc.

I chlorinate the water in our cistern - it sits for a long time and gets quite warm in the summer months.

Most healthy people will eventually ingest some bacteria or protozoa but the body can usually combat those without major symptoms. I have more faith in the main bottling companies than I do in the water utilities, and in particular their distribution piping. Water from the main purification plants may be fine most of the time, but we all know the delivery pipes are broken and have leaks all over the place - each crack being a possible place of contamination.

So far our system has worked for us and bottled water is ridiculously cheap so I see no pressing reason to change. Using bottles is much more convenient when you have lots of them and get home delivery direct from the company.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Even developed countries from time to time have difficulty delivering safe drinking water to some customers. Here in the DR it is a function of risk mitigation. I have placed my faith in a single bottled water supplier and maintain a stock of 20 or so bottles all the time. We use that for everything that results in consumption - cooking, drinking, brushing our teeth, ice maker etc. We have an under the counter osmosis setup for the dog's drinking water, washing dishes, wiping down kitchen counters etc.

I chlorinate the water in our cistern - it sits for a long time and gets quite warm in the summer months.

Most healthy people will eventually ingest some bacteria or protozoa but the body can usually combat those without major symptoms. I have more faith in the main bottling companies than I do in the water utilities, and in particular their distribution piping. Water from the main purification plants may be fine most of the time, but we all know the delivery pipes are broken and have leaks all over the place - each crack being a possible place of contamination.

So far our system has worked for us and bottled water is ridiculously cheap so I see no pressing reason to change. Using bottles is much more convenient when you have lots of them and get home delivery direct from the company.
I use a chlorine floater for the cistern, and use tablets that have chlorine, a mild algaecide and anti-bacterial components. Since we don't ingest this water I'm OK with those ingredients.

But something that has made a significant difference in the clarity of the water in the cistern is I use a 1-micron diesel fuel filter for any water coming into the cistern. The reduction in turbidity is amazing. They are 7" x 32" with a strong strap I use to hang the bag on the water valve. It's amazing how much gunk and trash there is in the water we get from the city.

Ditto on the bottled water. The one we use posts their latest tests for the public to see.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
If you're concerned with water quality, the simplest solution would be to stay with 5 gal. bottled water. I assume they are treated with UV light for parasites?

Then bring down a Big Berkey (amazon, ebay, etc) with the black ceramic filters, and run the bottled water thru it on your countertop. I think then you would have pretty much everything covered and the taste would be good too.

I use one in the States because of a chlorine problem, and the Berkey is amazing. I bought an extra one to bring to the DR but haven't had the chance to bring it yet.

BK4X2-BB-2.jpg

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I use a chlorine floater for the cistern, and use tablets that have chlorine, a mild algaecide and anti-bacterial components. Since we don't ingest this water I'm OK with those ingredients.

But something that has made a significant difference in the clarity of the water in the cistern is I use a 1-micron diesel fuel filter for any water coming into the cistern. The reduction in turbidity is amazing. They are 7" x 32" with a strong strap I use to hang the bag on the water valve. It's amazing how much gunk and trash there is in the water we get from the city.

Ditto on the bottled water. The one we use posts their latest tests for the public to see.
My super high-tech and complex cistern filtration system:

9OeouQ.jpg

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Lots of alternitives but ...

… what space do you have for new equipment?

First of all, I would find out what your water is. Several labs can test a small sample. A home PPM water tester is cheap and a tool also. This gives you a starting point of what you should be looking at for type of filter(s) and UV systems. Also have an idea of how many gallons per ?? you will be using.

No matter what system you get, it has to be maintained. That means replacing filter(s) and the cleaning/replacing the UV light. (that requires elec.) and doing so will have water going everywhere. A shut off before the system will be needed but ya still gonna have water and at times a leak. Best plan ahead.

A 5 gallon jug with a 12 volt boat pump and power supply and can be plumbed to a separate faucet at your sink. Would work fine for that 5 gallons. Easy, cheap and does the job.

Someone mentioned Eco ???. I fired them. I can get filters and UV lamps and less then 1/2 the cost of what they charge.

Also you should sanitize the plumbing from the filter/system to the faucet. Remove filter and just put some Clorox in and run the tap until the Clorox smell is gone. Install filter and you are good to go.

We have had a whole house, large house system for over 20 years and built a water room for the systems. All the water is potable/drinkable/99.5% pure anywhere in the house. No one has ever had a water related problem.... at all.

Another note, you need to have 24/7 power for the UV light to keep the water sanitized. A few hours without and you run water you just messed up the system.

I have a well and the water is very bad that requires pre-filters, UV and RO systems. Also rain harvest systems. Gets complicated and expensive but... we have water. We DON'T have city water anymore and don't want or need it.

Good luck

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I read an article from the head of CAASD where he said that tap water in Santo Domingo was completely clean and drinkable, and that they give tap water to people in hospitals. I really wanted a boiling water tap which can only really work with tap water, so I bought some water testing kits to check. And surprisingly every test I did came out 100% clean (yes I tested using different kits, and in different weeks).

So then I started using water from the tap, but only to be boiled for hot drinks. And a few days later I got a horrible stomach. I'm not sure if I ate something somewhere and it was just unfortunate timing, or whether the tap water was the culprit, but it put me off and I went back to bottled water. I have heard from a lot of Dominican friends that you should only buy bottled water from big brands like Agua Cristal or Planeta Azul as the cheaper ones just bottle water from the street.