1 night at Juan Dolio or excursion to Saona

leslierusso

May 3, 2002
Hi all,
I could really use some advice. There will be a small group staying in Santo Domingo for 3 nights and possibly 1 night at Playa Real in Juan Dolio to have some beach time and beach barbecue.
Has anyone stayed at Playa Real or have any suggestions in that area. The group will be departing the next morning for the airport, so we didn't want to go as far as Punta Cana to spend the night.
The other option is stay 4 nights in Santo Domingo and not have the hassle of checking in and out of hotels. Then it would be possible to do a one day excursion to Saona island.
What is your opinion considering distances? Any other reccommendations for a beach party day trip out of Santo Domingo?
Please help. Thanks!

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
What I usually do is....

...when I visit the Capital, I make day trips to Boca Chica Beach. I can do all of this in one dayand be back in the evening for some nightlife.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I agree with Mcinbrass that Boca Chica is a good choice if you only have one night. You can get a hotel room there for the night and it would be an easier trip to the airport for you from Boca Chica. The beach in Boca Chica is better than Jaun Dolio. If you are going during the week as opposed to a weekend then the nightlife will be a little slow in both Jaun Dolio and Boca Chica. In this case I suggest you take a day trip and return to the city at night. Playa Real is a nice little resort in an area of Jaun Dolio that would give you a good feel for the town and the locals. It would not be my first choice of a resort in Jaun Dolio but would be ok for one night for the price. As for a barbecue, well people don't do that in those areas. If you stay in an All inclusive then drinks and food are included. I definately think Soana is too much in the time that you have. If you do a search of the archives on this board you can find a website for Boca Chica which has a very good listing of hotels, resorts,clubs and such.

leslierusso

May 3, 2002
I did find a tour company that picks up at the hotel in Santo Domingo for a trip to Saona Island- 6:30 am to 6:30 pm. But I'll look up info on Boca Chica too. Thanks for your help!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Beach trip.....

If you only have one day by all means go to Saona! You'll LOVE it.
Nice trip, beautiful beach, and depending on the company running the tour perhaps a nice lunch also!

Edited due to long nails........got talked into wearing 'em for the wedding......now how do I get the darn things off!!!!!