Sending Money To The D.R.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Does anyone know of another way to transfer money to the D.R. other than using Western Union? Not only do they charge you a good percentage for the service, they also give you a terrible exchange rate.

Any other alternatives would be great to know of...and thanks.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Afraid I can't give you any details, but do know there are other ways to send money. A good percentage of the nearly 1 million Dominicans in the US are sending money back to the DR, and most, if not all, are using services other than Western Union.

Am sure there are posters who can give you specific information.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
We opened a bank account here for my hubby's family, and gave them the card...get an account where you only pay per transaction, since not many transactions take place in the month.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sort of need to know where you are located.

Depending on where you are you can use US PS Global Service, and mail a check.

Also depends on who will be receiving the money.

If they don't know how to use the exchange system youcan't use the mails...j
In the NYC, Paterson., Boston areas there are tons of places that do Envios to the DR.

Let us know some details and maybe we can help.

HB
needs_a_shave.gif

R&JRivas

Apr 28, 2002
I live in Naples Florida and we use Dolex Dollar Express. They deliver right to persons house. To send 100.00 it cost 10.00. They are a company that is based in Texas. Give this # a try
1 888 246 2527

R&J

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
I transfer money from my checking account in the US to my account at Scotiabank in Santo Domingo. It cost about 25 dollars no matter how much I send so I try to keep the transactions to once or twice a month.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
wire transfers, and certified checks also work. Wires can take a few days to clear, and certified checks require a plane ticket...

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Search the archives. This is an old topic heavily discussed in the past with lots of info.

The cheapest way is to open a bank account in the USA, deposit the money, and give the person in the DR an ATM card to the account. The cost is the lower exchange rate and ATM fees, which will end up running around 3-5%.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
The ScotiaBank idea is what I am looking for....

I want to be able to transfer about 1200 every two months. thanks for that.

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Higher amts no problem. I can withdraw up to about US$40,000/month by ATM card.

ATM cards can have high values. Mine is US$2000 per day. All I had to do was get the bank manager to approve it. Since I'm hardly ever near my bank when it is open, I get all my cash from machines. I had to argue with them of course. First they said it wasn't possible and then they said if they did it for me, they'd have to do it for everybody.

I told them I write the software for their debit card system (MasterCard Cirrus) and that there is a field on the card lookup screen where individuals can have specific limits, and that there is NO limit to what it can be set to. They called the operations center and the field didn't exist on their screen. I told them it exists on the supervisory screen. They got a supervisor, located the field, and said I needed approval from the branch manager. I got it. National City Bank.

The machines have limits per transaction so I have to do multiple transactions if I want more than the machine limit.

georgemen

Apr 1, 2002
Sending Money to DR

I have a wife in the DR and what my Bank Suggested was open a savings account at my Bank in the US and get debit cards in both names. When I want to send money I transfer on line from my checking to my savings account and she draws it from an ATM in the DR. This has worked well for us. I would strongly suggest that whoever draws the money keep RECIEPTS from ATM. We had one problem where the ATM charged my account but did not dispense any momey. My Bank quickly resolved the problem .
GOOD LUCK

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Please re-read my earlier post.

If you are sending money to a halfway intelligent person, you can save a bundle on fees, get the highest rate going(provided you know what it is), and do it safely.
You use personal checks made out to the person you wish, the Unitesd States Postal Service Global program, and you mail the check.
It is traceable, it is safe.
More sophisticated would be to have a mailbox at Business Mail in Miami, and pay RD$8.50 for every letter...Business mail has offices in most of the larger cities.

Remember, anytime you get banks involved you lose money.
HB

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I wire money down for 25 bux. If you open a US Dollar account in the DR you lose NADA. If you wire from a US account into a peso account it is a screw job. bank makes it both ways. Fees and vig on the exchange of $ to Peso.

michelle

Apr 25, 2002
There is also MoneyGram....same as western union only better rates!! I have seen them in the DR.

georgemen

Apr 1, 2002
I have a Debit Card for my Checking Account and I also have a Savinga Account with a Debit Card, My wife is in the DR and I gave her a debit Card for the Savings Account. When I need to send Money, I transfer the amount From my Checking to my Savings ON-LINE and she goes to the ATM for the Money. Make sure that you check availabilty of the Money before you withdraw. I had on one occasion had transferd $100 and when she went to thje ATM it said 100Pesos. Hope this helps

C

Chip00

I have a Debit Card for my Checking Account and I also have a Savinga Account with a Debit Card, My wife is in the DR and I gave her a debit Card for the Savings Account. When I need to send Money, I transfer the amount From my Checking to my Savings ON-LINE and she goes to the ATM for the Money. Make sure that you check availabilty of the Money before you withdraw. I had on one occasion had transferd $100 and when she went to thje ATM it said 100Pesos. Hope this helps

georgeman - the thread you posted in is about 5 years old.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
There is also MoneyGram....same as western union only better rates!! I have seen them in the DR.

Yes, MoneyGram is cheaper than Western Union. The receiver in the DR can go to a bank and withdraw the remittance (Banco del Progreso is one of them). I am building a home in the DR and must send money every month. Although I opened up an account in the DR to make transfers, my bank here charges me US$45.00 for the wire, regardless of the amount. So I only use the bank if I am sending US$5000 or more.

Feb 7, 2007
You have the following options

SERVICE == PAYOUT CURRENCY == SENDING METHOD == ONLINE SENDING

- Western Union (Money in Minutes) == USD/RDP == offline/online == Western Union – Money Transfer – Quick Collect – Send Money Online - Telegram - Send Cash
- Western Union (2nd Day Service) (cheaper) (info see above)
ONLINE/CREDIT CARD = more expensive / online for RDP payout only

- Moneygram (Money in Minutes) == RDP == offline/online == MoneyGram International Home Page
- Moneygram (2nd Day service) (cheaper) (info see above)
ONLINE/CREDIT CARD = more expensive

- Caribe Express == USD/RDP == offline

- Envios Boya == USD/RDP == online == www.enviosboya.com

- XOOM == USD/RDP == online == www.xoom.com

- RED Remesas Dominicanas (by Banco BHD) == ???? == www.bhd.com.do

TarSeal

Nov 4, 2006
Wow this is an old thread.

My way: Open Bank of America checking in US. Use the BoA bank card at Scotia Bank ATMs in DR. No fees because they have an agreement. (You may have to call BoA customer service if a fee pops up but they will reverse it.) I keep only this ATM card on me to get cash, but only transfer what I'm going to need into that account from my primary account (also free from a BoA account,) just in case I get jumped at the ATM. If they wipe out this account, at least they can't touch my real accounts.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
BoA

Wow this is an old thread.

My way: Open Bank of America checking in US. Use the BoA bank card at Scotia Bank ATMs in DR. No fees because they have an agreement. (You may have to call BoA customer service if a fee pops up but they will reverse it.) I keep only this ATM card on me to get cash, but only transfer what I'm going to need into that account from my primary account (also free from a BoA account,) just in case I get jumped at the ATM. If they wipe out this account, at least they can't touch my real accounts.

Does BoA give you a god exchange rate? Can the same be done with CitiBank? thanks