prostitution affects tourism in sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
from DL today:
https://www.diariolibre.com/economia/turismo/prostitucion-afecta-el-turismo-en-sosua-PH10354649

Representatives of different sectors of this municipality expressed concern about the rise of prostitution in this area, a practice that, they say, has alienated hundreds of tourists looking for a place to enjoy with their families.

According to the complaint, this activity is carried out in broad daylight without the intervention of the competent authorities. "Unfortunately, Sosúa is losing hundreds of visitors due to this situation," said Julio González, a regular visitor to the beaches of this area.

Other people consulted by Diario Libre reporters pointed out that, together with prostitution, "other dark businesses" are developing here, which has taken away the tranquility of the tourism sector.

"Any problem that is addressed in time has a solution," said a community leader who asked to speak on condition of anonymity.

Julio Almonte, Vice Minister of Tourism for the North Coast, said that the institution and the government security agencies are working on the purification of the "ladies of cheerful life" who come to Sosúa to practice the trade, with the aim of reducing it to its minimum.

The authorities estimate that 90% of sex workers are Haitian.

Almonte said they are working on the organization and regulation of the bars that are located in the commercial area here, especially in Pedro Clisante street, where most of the sex workers are concentrated.

The public servant stated that it is a priority of the Ministry of Tourism to organize this tourist area.

"We are trying to regularize, based on the law, this tourist destination," he said.

Jul 28, 2014
Nice spin he's trying there, (A) for effort.

"They say, has alienated hundreds of tourists looking for a place to enjoy with their families." - Exactly what families, the ones that they are "trying" to lure to Sosua, but aren't there?

According to the complaint, this activity is carried out in broad daylight without the intervention of the competent authorities. "Unfortunately, Sosúa is losing hundreds of visitors due to this situation," said Julio González, a regular visitor to the beaches of this area. - That's just funny, considering its exactly the opposite, nobody is going because they killed most of the bars and are trying to keep a tight leash on the "ladies of cheerful life"...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
not an endorsement for prostitution....
but
one of the lures of an island vacation is the ability to do what you want, get what want relatively easily...

More bars & restaurants help this.
If girls are part of the equation - so be it.

But start with bars etc.....

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
20 years ago, Sosua was filled with family tourists. You would see family groups of 3 generations that filled hotels, restaurants, gift shops, rented beach chairs, bought ice cream and spent money. Walking around town was fun and safe.

Enter the sex tourist and watched hotels close. Restaurants close. Some of the nice bars that married tourist couples liked closed. Local business' closed or left. The fun and safe atmosphere was gone. Local xpats stopped going into town too.

We have heard the argument that sex tourist spend money and keep Sosua going. It does but no where near what it was with the family tourist. Sosua became Sosewer.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
from DL today:
https://www.diariolibre.com/economia/turismo/prostitucion-afecta-el-turismo-en-sosua-PH10354649

Representatives of different sectors of this municipality expressed concern about the rise of prostitution in this area, a practice that, they say, has alienated hundreds of tourists looking for a place to enjoy with their families.

According to the complaint, this activity is carried out in broad daylight without the intervention of the competent authorities. "Unfortunately, Sosúa is losing hundreds of visitors due to this situation," said Julio González, a regular visitor to the beaches of this area.

Other people consulted by Diario Libre reporters pointed out that, together with prostitution, "other dark businesses" are developing here, which has taken away the tranquility of the tourism sector.

"Any problem that is addressed in time has a solution," said a community leader who asked to speak on condition of anonymity.

Julio Almonte, Vice Minister of Tourism for the North Coast, said that the institution and the government security agencies are working on the purification of the "ladies of cheerful life" who come to Sosúa to practice the trade, with the aim of reducing it to its minimum.

The authorities estimate that 90% of sex workers are Haitian.

Almonte said they are working on the organization and regulation of the bars that are located in the commercial area here, especially in Pedro Clisante street, where most of the sex workers are concentrated.

The public servant stated that it is a priority of the Ministry of Tourism to organize this tourist area.

"We are trying to regularize, based on the law, this tourist destination," he said.
"Hundreds of Tourists" ? - How about a hundred thousand (or more) and not to mention many local Dominican tourists who won't be caught dead in Batey because of the stigma.

Also many do come because of it - but they are not the best tourists for upscale hotels and fine dining - they spend on cheap chicken dinner diners, $45/night hotels, cheap cigars, wear tank tops and gym shorts, arrive on Jet Blue discount flights.

But they do spend some money - no doubt.
Close a few more clubs on PC that cater to the hookers and the problem will not be so blatant - But who has those huevos ?
What I don't understand is 15 years ago the hookers had nice clothes, looked somewhat respectable, many even cute. Now they wear dirty torn flea market dresses, they have bodies like pears and talk like they never got past the 5th grade and some are in their 40s.

And they apparently can't recognize someone who they have seen around for all these years and who always declines their aggressive advances.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
"Hundreds of Tourists" ? - How about a hundred thousand (or more) and not to mention many local Dominican tourists who won't be caught dead in Batey because of the stigma.

Also many do come because of it - but they are not the best tourists for upscale hotels and fine dining - they spend on cheap chicken dinner diners, $45/night hotels, cheap cigars, wear tank tops and gym shorts, arrive on Jet Blue discount flights.

Close a few more clubs on PC that cater to the hookers and the problem will not be so blatant - But who has those huevos ?
What I don't understand is 15 years ago the hookers had nice clothes, looked somewhat respectable, many even cute. Now they wear dirty torn flea market dresses, they have bodies like pears and talk like they never got past the 5th grade and some are in their 40s.

And they apparently can't recognize someone who they have seen around for all these years and who always declines their aggressive advances.

15 years ago you had 3 million people less in the DR.
Of those 3 million more likely a high percentage is poor and without education but they still have to eat.
La popola is a money maker. ;)

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
15 years ago you had 3 million people less in the DR.
Of those 3 million more likely a high percentage is poor and without education but they still have to eat.
La popola is a money maker. ;)

It would be a better money maker in a clean dress filled out by a girl with a tad more education and gym membership

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
20 years ago, Sosua was filled with family tourists. You would see family groups of 3 generations that filled hotels, restaurants, gift shops, rented beach chairs, bought ice cream and spent money. Walking around town was fun and safe.

Enter the sex tourist and watched hotels close. Restaurants close. Some of the nice bars that married tourist couples liked closed. Local business' closed or left. The fun and safe atmosphere was gone. Local xpats stopped going into town too.

We have heard the argument that sex tourist spend money and keep Sosua going. It does but no where near what it was with the family tourist. Sosua became Sosewer.

Thats interesting, because I heard that in the 80's , 30 years ago.. Sosua is a town where SWINGERS would go to let their hair down... similar to what Hedonism in Jamaica was during the exact same time Period ..
But maybe that was just because it was the '80's ? ... or maybe I heard it wrong... was not there myself , so cant say either way.

That is because some of the dudes assimilate to those kind of woman, in Sosua and back Home. That is all they think they are worth... A woman with an education who cant listen to cuss words in every sentence, is completely out of their league . These same dudes even cuss when families are at the next table .. no demographics mentioned , just education obviously lacking.
OTOH, I have met Surgeons from Europe who partake in the "fun" Sosua has to offer, but they usually dont walk on the strip late at night looking for scraps . As well as the well heeled Italians who do their own thing .

Last edited:

jd_mine

Sep 24, 2003

I started coming to Sosua in 2002...16 years ago.
There were no families coming on vacation then. If anything, there was more prostitution than now.
So if 20 years ago Sosua was a family tourist hotspot, all that changed in just 4 years??

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I started coming to Sosua in 2002...16 years ago.
There were no families coming on vacation then. If anything, there was more prostitution than now.
So if 20 years ago Sosua was a family tourist hotspot, all that changed in just 4 years??

maybe he is talking about another Sosua.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Still can't wrap my head around the fact that prostitution is legal but seems to be treated as illegal. Maybe making it illegal would be a way to solve the problem.

Not sure how much the authorities care about family tourism when they allow among many others, the shirtless local in front of Chez Monreal to daily scare away as many tourists as possible. He is a one man unwelcoming committee and has scared away scores of tourists by himself.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
This particular subject and Sosua has been beaten to death. 20 years from now we will be saying the same thing.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Growing prostration? I first went to Sosua around 2007 or 8 and there were MANY more prostitutes in the clubs and walking the streets. Walking from El Flow to Classicos at night took fighting through the crowed side walk.
90% Haitian - granted the % of Haitian prostitutes to Dominican has increased greatly but no way it's 90%.
What exactly is going on in broad daylight? I haven't seen anything.
Since prostitution is legal in the country, what exactly is supposed to be done to the girls/women?

I go to Sosua to see friends, visit the beach and eat at some restaurants I like with foods I don't get in Santiago not to chase the girls but the only thing increasing regarding the prostitutes in Sosua is size of the prostitutes themselves. Dam they get any bigger and those new sidewalks are not going to hold up. They should impose a weight limit.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Love the irony of this thread surrounded by a 6 page thread about people afraid to drive at night and an 18 page thread about tourists being afraid to drive because of police shakedowns at any time of day. And yet, the authorities seem to think prostitutes are the leading cause of driving down local tourism.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Growing prostration? I first went to Sosua around 2007 or 8 and there were MANY more prostitutes in the clubs and walking the streets. Walking from El Flow to Classicos at night took fighting through the crowed side walk.
90% Haitian - granted the % of Haitian prostitutes to Dominican has increased greatly but no way it's 90%.
What exactly is going on in broad daylight? I haven't seen anything.
Since prostitution is legal in the country, what exactly is supposed to be done to the girls/women?

I go to Sosua to see friends, visit the beach and eat at some restaurants I like with foods I don't get in Santiago not to chase the girls but the only thing increasing regarding the prostitutes in Sosua is size of the prostitutes themselves. Dam they get any bigger and those new sidewalks are not going to hold up. They should impose a weight limit.

yes, the standard and quality of the chicas has gone down, precipitously. i would not do most of them with your jimmy..

i remember 15 years ago it was fun looking at the chicas in Sosua. today, they all look like female sumo wrestlers, the have tattoos on ever inch of their cellulite, and are just generally grotesque..

what happened?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I would say Bavaro, not Boca Chica.

i was discussing this with a buddy recently, and he seems to think that the quality girls have all gone into the internet orbit, hooking up by cellphone apps and such methods. the riff raff who cannot hack it are still in the storefronts...

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
yes, the standard and quality of the chicas has gone down, precipitously. i would not do most of them with your jimmy..

i remember 15 years ago it was fun looking at the chicas in Sosua. today, they all look like female sumo wrestlers, the have tattoos on ever inch of their cellulite, and are just generally grotesque..

what happened?
It's à nationwide problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.