Chinese restaurant in Sosua closed

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Anyone know what is happening with the Chinese Restaurant next to Texaco in Sosua? I drove past the other day and everything was being torn out? Are they just doing a renovation or have they closed? I would be surprised if they closed down as they seemed to be doing very well. It is actually pretty good for the price.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
It's got to be a renovation. There were constantly busy at night.
And the food was decent because it wasn't sitting in the trays forever like the last location. It was being purchased and replaced with freshly cooked.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Makes sense now...they were always busy so moving to a larger location is understandable. Be good to see them open again soon.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Well, they used to be farther down Pedro Clisante, then moved to the mall by Texaco, smartest thing they did, IMO.

Does that mean that Fred is opening up the Cuba Libre Bar again? (;-)

I purchased 2 take out orders from the chinese place just a few days ago. Both were fresh, hot, and good. As CTrob pointed out, better turnover of the food at the new location. Only problem was you couldn’t park in front even to run in quick for a to go order.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Fred is busy enjoying life in the Philippines....I saw him about 4 weeks ago and had a good chat with him. Not much he misses about this place. We had some great times at Cuba Libre over the years, even had my 40th and my bachelor party there....but not going into any more details about that!!!

Jul 28, 2014
Does that mean that Fred is opening up the Cuba Libre Bar again? (;-)

I purchased 2 take out orders from the chinese place just a few days ago. Both were fresh, hot, and good. As CTrob pointed out, better turnover of the food at the new location. Only problem was you couldn’t park in front even to run in quick for a to go order.

Yeah, parking is an issue there for sure, I always walk to it, so no biggie for me, and as you can see, very limited seating inside as well. Best chance is to park at the farmacia, by where the Metro Bus Parks

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
It has been re-opened for a couple of weeks now, same location. More space inside. New tables, new chairs, fans.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
No parking is the bane of many a business in DR not just the Chinese restaurant.
Wonder when the North Coast will get it's 1st drive through? Becoming popular in SD and Santiago.

If so please make it a Krispy Kreme so I can die happy with diabetes.

Come to think of it a drive through Chinese is a great idea since many people take that type of food to go.

Elgator

Jul 23, 2018
I have been a take-out customer at the Sosua Chinese restaurant under discussion several times, and have enjoyed the food.

However, there is another Chinese restaurant in Cabarete, a proper restaurant that does not deal in ready-made choices, but rather cooks to order. Their menu is extensive, the food is quite good, the portions are incredibly large, and the prices are cheap !!

Whenever I am in Sosua, I take a taxi publico for 30 pesos each way, from Sosua to the Chinese place (it is right on the main street -- and purchase two dinners to go. The huge portions of the two dinners are sufficient to provide me with four meals.

The old lady in the kitchen is a real grouch to the point of being comical, but it's all good. Anyone else frequent this place??

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We frequently go to the Chinese restaurant in Cabarete.
I like the hot plates, but have never had a bad meal there.

It is good that Sosua at least has what it has now for Chinese food. It is filling and inexpensive.