Metro bus shut down?

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
https://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2018/07/17/taxman-shutters-the-countrys-biggest-bus-company/

Santo Domingo.- The Internal Taxes Directorate (DGII) on Monday shuttered the terminal of Metro bus company for failure to utilize fiscal printers and tax receipts, as well as violation of Tax Code Law 11-92.
The notices placed at the downtown bus terminal of Dominican Republic’s biggest bus company, say that the company had violated several articles of the Tributary Code.
Local media report that DGII officials arrived around 6:30am and ordered the doors closed and the staff evacuated, proceeding to place the notices “Closed by the DGII” on all the doors even on the perimeter fence.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Not sure what building they closed down on Monday morning because I took the 12 noon bus from the terminal on Winston Churchill. At 5 PM the same day the buses were still in operation.

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
I refuse to believe that people have been denied entry into a metro bus station until someone denied entry posts here and confirms it.

Until then I assume these rumors are being spread by the taxi drivers who are trying to take advantage by scaring gringos into paying extra for their services.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

OK then it is indeed possible. I was going by the OP and the link in the OP which stated,

Local media report that DGII officials arrived around 6:30am and ordered the doors closed and the staff evacuated, proceeding to place the notices “Closed by the DGII” on all the doors even on the perimeter fence.

Lucky me, I almost took the 5:40 PM Metro bus back from Santiago and I would have witnessed history being made. LOL

Instead I opted for Caribe Tours because when arriving in Santo Domingo at rush hour traffic I find it easier to get off at the Chaos Transportation Hub (avenida luperon) and ride the Metro into D.N.. Always something interesting going on at that location.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I refuse to believe that people have been denied entry into a metro bus station until someone denied entry posts here and confirms it.

Until then I assume these rumors are being spread by the taxi drivers who are trying to take advantage by scaring gringos into paying extra for their services.

It's no rumour. Look on you tube and see the video or search the news for pictures.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

It's no rumour. Look on you tube and see the video or search the news for pictures.

...or just click the link in post #3 by dv8

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Yes it happened. A friend of mine traveled from Sosua to Santo Domingo yesterday afternoon. By the time they got to Santiago the depot had already been closed down, even the rest rooms were locked. The bus continued to Santo Domingo but the driver said that he could not take them to the main terminal and had to drop them off on the street before they arrived there. Metro is still closed 24 hours later.....don't mess with Impuestos Internos!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I would imagine Caribe Tours must have been a total mess today with all the extra passengers and those shipping packages. Kind of funny when you think about..............

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
now the damas ricas will have to sit beside Belkis on Caribe Tours.

oh, the inhumanity

They will survive...............

I use both and don't mind paying the extra for the nicer service of Metro. It is like all things in life, different services for different people. Caribe Tours caters to a broader group of people. I know Caribe Tours makes several stops to drop passengers off coming from North that Metro doesn't do. Seats are more comfortable with Metro and the buses are cleaner so those who choose to pay more have an option.

Metro recently raised their price to $400 pesos coming from SD to Santiago. I believe Caribe Tours is still at $300 for the same trip.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
So they charge 100 pesos more and still don't pay their taxes....naughty naughty!!! (but I would rather pay a whopping U$2 more for a cleaner, more comfortable ride!!!)

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
@ tee, tried to hit "like" for both your posts but the like button isn't liking me today............

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
They will survive...............

I use both and don't mind paying the extra for the nicer service of Metro. It is like all things in life, different services for different people. Caribe Tours caters to a broader group of people. I know Caribe Tours makes several stops to drop passengers off coming from North that Metro doesn't do. Seats are more comfortable with Metro and the buses are cleaner so those who choose to pay more have an option.

Metro recently raised their price to $400 pesos coming from SD to Santiago. I believe Caribe Tours is still at $300 for the same trip.

Metro is worth the extra..

Ret.Cop

Jun 17, 2017
I wunder what will happen now with the boxes / envelopes etc. because everything is closed now.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Tried to quote the gorgon, but still doesn't work...

So - fully agree, I've used Metro frequently in the past, sad to hear that they're doing this bad...

I wasn't aware of the price increases though, at the time when I was using it, Puerto Plata - Santo Domingo cost 360 pesos...